Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Case in point: tonight's weather forecast.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

propmotion.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

propmotion.gif

So the Sphinx was build in 100,000 AD? The good old precession of the equinoxes, a reason, apart from the obvious, that horoscopes are nonsense.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Racial distribution in the San Francisco Bay Area, 2010.
    Red = white; blue = black; green = Asian; brown= Hispanic; grey = other.

11417_14886813_fc2945f0-ea22-4255-9c7e-0d838fb37b0c.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

storker wrote: »

Did Roddys win?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ipso wrote: »
    Did Roddys win?

Grace's is by far the better establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

^^^^

McDonalds closed down in Iceland in 2009. Some guy bought the last Cheeseburger and fries from the outlet just before it did, to keep as a historic artefact. It was on display for a number of years in the National Museum of Iceland, before ending up where it currently resides behind glass in a hotel in Þykkvibær, South Iceland.

c1_3390709.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-50262547

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Some bang of it by now i'd say!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oops! wrote: »
    Some bang of it by now i'd say!
    At least the flavour couldn't get any worse than it did back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

At least the flavour couldn't get any worse than it did back in the day!

Ah come on. We all know it's ****e food but it's tasty ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Even bacteria won't go near it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Miss Havisham's wedding banquet right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

^^^^

McDonalds closed down in Iceland in 2009. Some guy bought the last Cheeseburger and fries from the outlet just before it did, to keep as a historic artefact. It was on display for a number of years in the National Museum of Iceland, before ending up where it currently resides behind glass in a hotel in Þykkvibær, South Iceland.

c1_3390709.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-50262547

Scary that there is no mould on the bread

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Scary that there is no mould on the bread

McDonalds claim that it’s because the burger was first stored in a dry environment that took all the moisture out if it. Mould needs humidity to grow. In fairness, while you will get mould growing on bread, you don’t get it growing on toast (I’ve three kids, I find archaic toast regularly).

storker wrote: »
    What a great map. It's hard to place some of the locations due to road changes, but if Ormonde's Camp and the Bloody Fields are approx halfway between Mount Pleasant and the Dodder, does that mean they would be around Palmerston Road now? Close to the park I suppose?

The site of Ranelagh must have been around Mountain View Road, or near Mortons. I think I remember hearing that before.

Also, you wouldn't think it because the slope is so gradual, but Mountain View and Beechwood Rd are actually on quite a height compared to the surrounding land. From here, you can see the spire lit up at night, and I'm sure I've been told there was a camp established there (I thought it was the irish, on their approach from the south) where they set up camp on a small hill.. probably where the Catholic Church is at Beechwood Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The site of Ranelagh must have been around Mountain View Road, or near Mortons. I think I remember hearing that before.

Yeah would've made sense to settle near the LUAS

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah would've made sense to settle near the LUAS
    Hence the "green line" of attack against the brits.

Obvious history is obvious.

terrible-funny-maps-250-5f22b742deb53__700.jpg

type3__xts__5B05D68.ARBHJO8cAIFwV8L5bvq5d86AUXD2rApnrN_kMd3IStJKz5Lw4ptVhv62lpNCHOW0lVQM8QqdS6shAPuvWVbB_p0lARx9hAE71vHEVXYQF6mz-xdkIlTJtUbkwqReI8-TyblMOwyyJcK-mpEReUZEkrHPf9LMb-iyO5Aasg3WfrxjLuC5xw9U1EuAy80LzvolcWa2vH92xIVXlt9YukEU4Vpi3oQ-kUPZoyjwsAjgCFuJ5m5vrrGXFMAzhnFAws_z0lGcuMEbUOz29JnK3n9iRoxkRiUiu_rbtMNHCfFpB2JCbyvtdID7dZ3atbpKJRGOcFrKAh7q3CnOlavNDMrXr1O3bAwM__tn__-R-png__700.jpg

terrible-funny-maps-244-5f22afd31e356__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

If you’ve ever wondered why with the Earth rotating Eastwards, i.e. into the Lunar induced bulge of water, High Tides in Ireland occur - counter intuitively- earlier in Valentia than Wexford, this animated map shows why. There’s also other effects e.g. land masses and existing ocean currents.
    http://volkov.oce.orst.edu/tides/pic/tpxo8.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

figrue4a.jpg
    An updated model suggests the shape of the Sun’s bubble of influence, the heliosphere (seen in yellow), may be a deflated croissant shape, rather than the long-tailed comet shape suggested by other research.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/uncovering-our-solar-system-s-shape

An updated model suggests the shape of the Sun’s bubble of influence, the heliosphere (seen in yellow), may be a deflated croissant shape

“Your theory of a donut shaped universe is intriguing, Homer. I may have to steal it.”

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTbKR7zgknNQohni0TRSi0rFwmek3nitwmDzA&usqp=CAU

Burgess_and_Webb.jpg

The routes taken by the first recorded people to swim la Manche

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Burgess_and_Webb.jpg

The routes taken by the first recorded people to swim la Manche

Looks like Burgess stopped for a pint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Looks like Burgess stopped for a pint!
    Yes!

There are some fierce tides in the Channel (and that's just the start, before taking into account the shifting currents caused by the shallow bits and so on).

Advertisement