Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What big companies do you think will not still be here in a decade 's time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Penneys.

The days of fast disposable fashion are well numbered. The environmental impact is unjustifiable.

Because when companies say they are sustainable, we know they won’t lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Mitsubishi. They announced plans to wind down their European operations this week. Although their CEO has moved to reassure customers that this won't effect sales of their E tablets. I can see the likes of Suzuki and Subaru doing the same (disappearing from these shores, not selling Ecstasy).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eir also known as eircon..,.

Virgin id say too as way too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

.anon. wrote: »
    Mitsubishi. They announced plans to wind down their European operations this week. Although their CEO has moved to reassure customers that this won't effect sales of their E tablets. I can see the likes of Suzuki and Subaru doing the same (disappearing from these shores, not selling Ecstasy).

Japan is the home of the zombie corporation (Toshiba, Sharp, Olympus and more). non-performing firms big and small kept alive for decades by sweetheart low-interest lending arrangements. They've been trying to call time on this phenomenon for years but the problem is so deeply embedded in the economy it's hard to know what to do. Japan needs a new economy to emerge, it's a wonderful nation slowly eating itself.

Zaph wrote: »
    Why? Where I work we access the system using smart cards. If I want to work elsewhere or present from my PC I simply take the card with me to wherever I need to be, plug it into the card reader there and use the keyboard and mouse at that desk. Working from home I plug a card reader into a USB port on my desktop and work away as if I were in the office. A laptop isn't needed in the office and at home I could use one but I use the desktop out of personal preference.

Never heard of such a system nor would it be practical for most, I don’t really like the sound of it either over having my own machine. It’s absolutely no good to you unless you have machines everywhere you go to plug into also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hertz might be one that falls from this Covid mess. I know they are trying to sell off huge parts of their fleet at the moment because of the collapse of tourism. At a minimum there will be massive redundancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

a lot of retail will be gone within 2 years the lockdown has progressed online shopping and it will only get used more so the rents and staff for retail will be redundant

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

AMKC wrote: »
    I think that Apple and Facebook will either not be here or they will be like that Irish computer maker that used to be real big and the top seller but it's not exactly a household name now. Sorry its name is there in the back of my head but just not coming to me yet.
    Hopefully someone here will think of it.

iQon were the only domestic manufacturer of any scale. Junk though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So basically the entire wired broadband sector?

Not a hope.

One thing that I thought was interesting yesterday, when Mark Zuckerberg was giving his evidence to the US Congress, was his statement that out of the top-10 tech firms a decade ago, only 3 are still in the top-10 (presumably Apple, Facebook, Google).

The tech landscape has probably become less competitive since then, in fairness, but we probably will see drastic changes throughout the 20s.

I can't see Eir lasting in Ireland. Just seems like a ridiculous prospect. And the future of An Post seems similarly dubious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Tesla will be far bigger in ten years

Musk s ego will destroy them,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

EIR will survive, I don't know why but it's seems no matter how badly they treat their customers they still keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

On the desktop front, I would almost see them become more popular in the near future. With people working from home a lot more, they are moving away from being hunched over a coffee table and looking for a more comfortable working environment.

A proper desk, with a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse is far superior to any laptop scenario.

With regards An Post, I see them still being here. They have improved greatly in the online shopping world in recent years, and have the network/relationships. Will they need a government "top-up - now that is the question.

Tesco.....though they'll likely merge with another UK based retailer

I think a couple of irish food companies will.come under pressure as eastern european farm sectors take off and russian restrictions end with demise of putin,cant see him last another 10 years with his lifestyle

dotsman wrote: »
    On the desktop front, I would almost see them become more popular in the near future. With people working from home a lot more, they are moving away from being hunched over a coffee table and looking for a more comfortable working environment.

A proper desk, with a desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse is far superior to any laptop scenario.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,707 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Could go either way, enormous potential and vision but serious issues well documented by the FT for years now. So Elon will either be the Henry Ford of the 21st Century or its John Delorean.

Delorean without the coke but with the shoddy overpriced cars.

L1011 wrote: »
    So basically the entire wired broadband sector?

Not a hope.

Eir has sold off literally everything....

They're stripping anything possible, the cables will be there but eir I doubt it....

I don’t think anyone is arguing that working on a laptop on the kitchen table is suitable long term, in my home office I have a sit/stand desk, quality large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse with I just need to make one connection to via usb-c to my MacBook and I have power, hdmi and multiple usbs incl my backup hdd. Laptop also acts as a second screen. I have a similar setup at work so if I’m at home or at work all I need is my MacBook but I can also work anywhere else too, meeting, trips etc or bring the laptop down in the evening for browsing and personal stuff on the couch.

I’d argue it’s a better setup than having a desktop.

That's exactly what I do. I just use a TV monitor for my second screen along with the work laptop, and then if it's nice out, go outdoors with it or take it to another room for a break. I can't see the appeal of a desktop at all.

With regards An Post, I see them still being here. They have improved greatly in the online shopping world in recent years, and have the network/relationships. Will they need a government "top-up - now that is the question.
    An post will also see a saving a huge one as China free post is coming to an end .. these packages cost them money and in most cases they don't get a cent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd say the Tyrrell Corporation will be big in a few years time.
    True but I can't see them lasting past 2022

• Advertisement

Eir has sold off literally everything....

They're stripping anything possible, the cables will be there but eir I doubt it....

Under the current owner, they've in-housed their customer care; they also own a mobile network after having sold off Eircell. They're going nowhere.

L1011 wrote: »
    Under the current owner, they've in-housed their customer care; they also own a mobile network after having sold off Eircell. They're going nowhere.

Shame;-)

Boards.,.

I'm getting banned :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

WeWork and any type of serviced office company...they be doomed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Rubbish. There will always be demand for latex.

They need to decide if they’re importers or exporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Desktop and notebook sales are up by 35% this year for the first time since the peak in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GameStop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think Facebooks sphere of influence will continue to move with the generations who bought in to it. Any instance where parents/children are using it is where the parents adopted it after the children had done so. How many of us would have wanted to be on the same platform our parents were using when we were teenagers/young adults? It's adds will continue to focus on politics, and then pension plans, retirement plans, cruises etc as their core demographic ages. And I reckon that the people within in know that which is why they bought Instagram to capture the next wave of interest in a hot platform.

Twitter must be kicking themselves that they took Vine so far and then abandoned it when you see the success which Tik Tok is having but I think the platform will continue as its more of a data source for most people than the broadcasting location that many see FB as.

Think Apple will still be there as, to this point, they have focused on the Apple Brand and they are still pushing the envelope in this space and appealing to younger generations. Even if their innovation lessens, they still have a large market who consider themselves Apple people and this Market will certainly be here for 10 years and beyond. That being said, Nokia fell from a similar position 15 years ago, so anything is possible.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tesla wasn't around to the same degree as it currently is purely because Elon Musk is possibly crazy enough to lose interest in it and because the other big car companies haven't really 'gone after' the electrical market yet in the same way as they have.

Personally I'd like to see Amazons grip on shopping lessen as there is something about them that I don't like (are very monopolistic and stories of how workers are treated aren't great) and I also think that their impact on commercial shopping districts in towns and cities is serious.
    I also suspect we will see more mergers amongst large Telecommunications companies as internet platform voice calls continue to increase their market share although maybe 5G will generate new revenue streams for these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

IBM?
    (Still here and doing well but you wouldn't necessarily near from them in ordinary life)

Edit, just saw capt'n midnight's post. I bet it was Gateway 2000

Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Is the Gateway factory still empty? I haven't been past it in a while. Is the Dell factory still in Limerick?

Dont know anything about the Gateway plant but Dell is still in Limerick, a shadow of itself. They sent 2000 jobs off to Poland about 10 or 12 years ago and it was devastating for the town.

Advertisement