Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does the PS3 play .avi files off of a USB drive? or off of a DVD?

• 05-01-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I've tried the googling thing and can't get a definitive answer...

I have a .avi file - a film. I want to play it on my PS3 via a USB. The film's on the USB but when I go to access it on the PS3 it says there are no files. It's a new PS3 recently bought a few months ago.

Could I just burn the files to a DVD and play them off that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The USB is probably formatted to NTFS, PS3 only reads FAT32.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Have you pressed the Triangle button when you get to the USB Device on the PS3 Screen, it will display everything on you USB and you should be able to play .avi no problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Most likely problem is that either the usb drive isn't formatted as FAT32 or you haven't got the correct directory structure on the usb drive.
    You can press triangle and select display all to see all files on your thumb drive.

It isn't a problem with the codec inside the avi, as in that case it would say corrupt file, or unsupported or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭J.Ball

Yes just press triangle then view all files. once its an mpeg-4 file or says avi it'll play just fine 99% of the time the odd movie wont work its happened to me like twice out of hundreds of films

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

This:
    Have you pressed the Triangle button when you get to the USB Device on the PS3 Screen, it will display everything on you USB and you should be able to play .avi no problem ;)

Even if the format is unsupported, you should be able to see it. You could set up folders so that you can just press x instead, but I don't really see the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Press triangle and display all. No idea why you need to do this, but you do. I always play films straight off the memory stick, never any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

amacachi wrote: »
    The USB is probably formatted to NTFS, PS3 only reads FAT32.
    +1
    Put your usb in your pc and reformat it as FAT32, this will clear the contents of the stick so be sure to have a backup of whatever is on it, so you can put back on it. The when you put it back in your ps3 when you go to watch a film or look at pics you may need to press Triangle so you can view things.Problem solved. Hope this helps

tiny timy wrote: »
    +1
    Put your usb in your pc and reformat it as FAT32, this will clear the contents of the stick so be sure to have a backup of whatever is on it, so you can put back on it. The when you put it back in your ps3 when you go to watch a film or look at pics you may need to press Triangle so you can view things.Problem solved. Hope this helps

I'd be surprised if it was formatted to NTFS as default though, most seem to be FAT32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Thanks for all the help guys. Managed to get it working in the end with the USB.

If I burn these to a DVD with something like IMG Burn would the film play off of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Ya there's no formatting or burning onto DVD's needed, just press Triangle and Display All..........as someone said above, it's a weird way about it, but u get used to it!!!

But if you burn it to a DVD it should just play like a normal DVD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

a press of triangle will let you copy your avi to ps3 hard disc also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The PS3 is the best thing ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, no way would I be wasting DVDs/Laser wear and tear when I can just plug in a USB onto my 320GB HDD (which is starting to run out of space...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What nobody has mentioned so far, is that you should be putting your AVI files into a VIDEO folder on the rot of your USB stick. This is where the PS3 looks for video files on every disk attached to it.

RangeR wrote: »
    What nobody has mentioned so far, is that you should be putting your AVI files into a VIDEO folder on the rot of your USB stick. This is where the PS3 looks for video files on every disk attached to it.

It has been alluded to above, but he's also been told how to get around that!

L'prof wrote: »
    It has been alluded to above, but he's also been told how to get around that!

Alluded to is not "specifically mentioned".Nobody mentioned it so I did.
    Getting around a problem shouldn't be needed if it's done correctly in the first place.

Alluded to is not "specifically mentioned".Nobody mentioned it so I did.
    Getting around a problem shouldn't be needed if it's done correctly in the first place.

Pressing triangle is just as handy as pressing x. I'd prefer if Sony fixed it so that it'd just pick up all files regardless as I don't like putting, and don't, poxy folders on my hard-drive just so the PS can recognise it...strokes for folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

What's the "rot" ?

What's the "rot" ?

Root, as in D:\VIDEO, where the bolded part indicates the root of the drive and the rest is the new folder that you create.

What's the "rot" ?

You're not heard of the rot? Painful. Seek medical attention at first sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The PS3 is the best thing ever made

Careful now, there might be some X-Box fan-boys lurking about :p

Advertisement