Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Naive question, I know nothing about geology...

Are volcano activities across the globe connected in any way?
    As in, is there a correlation between volcanic activity across different countries?

• igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Naive question, I know nothing about geology...

Are volcano activities across the globe connected in any way?
    As in, is there a correlation between volcanic activity across different countries?

Look up "plate tectonics", volcanos tend to be at plate boundaries.

Look up "plate tectonics", volcanos tend to be at plate boundaries.

Yeah, stupid question I guess.

I don't see how the plates movements in Iceland could have any effect in other regions of the world.
    It's energy at the surface layer.

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I don't see how the plates movements in Iceland could have any effect in other regions of the world.

Just curious.

You also have Magma hotspots located away from plate boundaries that have volcanoes on the surface. Hawaii is prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There are about 30 volcanoes active for the moment, we only get to hear about the famous ones.

• Advertisement

Just curious.
    Short answer is that as the planet's surface is dynamic, a change in one plate interface will affect the other interfaces as well, as the pressures are always being relieved in one area will build up elsewhere.

It's also worth remembering that at any one point in time, there are on average 20 or so active volcanos erupting somewhere on the planet, most on isolated islands or undersea so get no publicity.

There are claims that changes in the sun's magnetic field strength can also change the strength of the Earth's core and that these changes can trigger Volcanic activity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Low solar activity is also theorised to increase volcanic activity.

• Dillonb3 wrote: »
    You also have Magma hotspots located away from plate boundaries that have volcanoes on the surface. Hawaii is prime example
    Yes, Yellowstone park is another prime example of where that hotspot is located, it also explains the many "chains" of islands that are located around the planet, like these (formed the same way as Hawaii)

okmok-map.jpg

Short answer is that as the planet's surface is dynamic, a change in one plate interface will affect the other interfaces as well, as the pressures are always being relieved in one area will build up elsewhere.

It's also worth remembering that at any one point in time, there are on average 20 or so active volcanos erupting somewhere on the planet, most on isolated islands or undersea so get no publicity.

There are claims that changes in the sun's magnetic field strength can also change the strength of the Earth's core and that these changes can trigger Volcanic activity

Ah, thank you.

I had naively believed that the energy from a volcano comes from below the crust, but the energy may move latterly along the plates as well...

Ah, thank you.

I had naively believed that the energy from a volcano comes from below the crust, but the energy may move latterly along the plates as well...
    You're correct it does come from beneath the crust, but where the plates meet, there are weak spots and these points are where much of the volcanic activity comes from, most noticeably along the mid Atlantic ridge and the Pacific rim where there are spreading and overriding plates respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Second Explosion at La Soufriere

BC7-E5-F4-F-A3-E8-4-D69-ADAF-80-ECB96-C6853.jpg

pad199207 wrote: »

Footage going around of ash falling on nearby settlements, I wouldn't imagine the structures will withstand heavy loads of it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pad199207 wrote:

The really dangerous ones, but naturally, id still like to experience one, hopefully people get out

Another explosion happened at La Soufriere and the country is now without power and water supplies are disrupted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56707956

Nearby Barbados is starting to get ashfall

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1381230606483341317

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am just commencing a longed-for reread of "Lord of the Rings…" Terrifying thread ... wondering if Tolkien saw real life volcanos . Even in " The Hobbit"

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

I know there are many videos available but this one is really great with a suprising twist.

Top photographer Ólafur Þórisson flew a drone over the eruption site yesterday and captured an incredible video of a powerful magma flow in the most active crater.

The eruption in Geldingadalur has not stopped and the eruption activity has remained stable for a while now.

https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2021/04/29/magnad_dronaskot_yfir_gossvaedinu/

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

Looking very close into a crater with very little activity the past days and to find still glooming lava below the surface in there.

Impressive lava-tornado.

https://www.facebook.com/siggizoom/videos/10225832077498300/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was watching the eruption live here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdrrg7Xp3xA

And about 30 mins ago a 'smokenado' developed just to the west of the on screen map. I rolled back and tried to screen capture it. Quality isn't great but here it is:

https://streamable.com/ufvo9b

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In Australia we would call that a willy willy - a tornado is something that picks up houses, cars and cows.

The Icelandic volcano is spouting a large lava fountain

Another major volcano just erupted. Nyiragongo in Congo with the city of Goma under severe threat

https://twitter.com/CharlesBalagizi/status/1396204233410629634

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Some images/news from Congo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone got any tips on getting one to go off under the Kremlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cnocbui wrote:
    Anyone got any tips on getting one to go off under the Kremlin?

Ah they're doing enough themselves, to wreck their own country, leave'em at it, it ll be the general Russian public that ll truly suffer though

Seriously thinking of going to this volcano, must look into it more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

Storm 10 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1397486844879773697

Italy’s Mount Etna, the most active volcano in Europe, has erupted twice in the space of a few hours, the latest in a burst of volcanic activity since 16 February

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Maybe just me, or that the media is bored, but there is a lot more volcanic activity in recent months globally

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Brave!

Not sure Brave is the word I'd use..

Advertisement