Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/4" Router bit advice?

• 16-02-2021 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm looking at making an mft table top and so went off and bought the following Jig: https://www.247wood.nl/en/mft-plunge-router-jig-20mm-complete-set/a3957?c=3565.

I have a Makita RT0700CX2 Router/Trimmer (1/4") with a plunge base and a 30mm guide bush. I now need a 20mm groove cutter, the only one I can seem to find it the Trend Professional 1/4" Shank Straight Router Cutter Bit-Ref: 4/6X1/4TC but my issue is I think the shank is far too short. it's overall length is 57mm. The template is 18mm thick and I need to cut through 18mm ply.

I'm a bit stumped so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Would a 8mm collet work?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Try https://www.wealdentool.com/ they have a great selection. I think they might sent VAT free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

you should be able to put an 8mm collet in that. my makita 18v comes with an 8mm collet and its very similar to what you have
    its not really the right tool for the job
    i wouldnt put a 20mm cutter in that though. i would put a 10mm cutter and use a 20mm guide bush . should have same offset or any combination witht he same offset.
    i would drill out the center of the hole with a drill bit if i was using a large cutter with such a small router to take the stress off it.

Good advice there.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate the help. Im trying to figure if I go with a 20mm guide and 1/4 10mm cutter with a cutting length of over 20mm and an overall length of approx 60mm I don't think there's enough length to cut the the 18mm ply. Still stuck looking for a long bit?

• Advertisement

Drill the pilot hole, route with the 20mm guide and 10mm cutter to half depth, flip the board and use a pattern bit with a bottom mounted guide bearing to complete the route.

Would the following solution work of me?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/erbauer-er2100-2100w-electric-router-220-240v/535fx

and

https://www.powertool.ie/p/trend-two-flute-cutter-200mm-diameter---c030dx1_2tc/c030dx1_2tc.

Doing a bit of time V cost analysis on the options available to me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Try https://www.wealdentool.com/ they have a great selection. I think they might sent VAT free.

Just searched the site and see they do an 80 mm long, 10 mm straight bit with an 8 mm shank under the category 'Deep Pocket' . You would need a 18mm collet ( Makita make a range of collets to fit most of their machines ) The only glitch is the cutter length of only 15 mm so you would need two passes. Worth a look ?

recipio wrote: »
    Just searched the site and see they do an 80 mm long, 10 mm straight bit with an 8 mm shank under the category 'Deep Pocket' . You would need a 18mm collet ( Makita make a range of collets to fit most of their machines ) The only glitch is the cutter length of only 15 mm so you would need two passes. Worth a look ?
    Hi, could you send me on a link to the 10mm 'Deep Pocket' 80mm long I'm only seeing the following which is 8mm x 80mm long (T2113-8)
    https://www.wealdentool.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=deep%20pocket&PN=Online_Catalogue_Deep_Pocket_233%2ehtml#aT2122_2d1_2f2

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I have that router and it came with an 8mm collet too. They're cheap to pick up if one wasn't included in the package: https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/sn/MAK7636185

• Advertisement

The Duk wrote: »
    Hi, could you send me on a link to the 10mm 'Deep Pocket' 80mm long I'm only seeing the following which is 8mm x 80mm long (T2113-8)
    https://www.wealdentool.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=deep%20pocket&PN=Online_Catalogue_Deep_Pocket_233%2ehtml#aT2122_2d1_2f2

Sorry, that is the cutter I found but now see it is 8 mm wide as well as an 8 mm shank. Hadn't had my coffee.
    To maintain a 10 mm offset you would still need an 18 mm guide bush and they are available in the Makita 'black' series. You would have to research to see if it fits your router. I have a few Makita routers and had to buy an adapter plate to fit bushes on one of them. Unfortunately yours is a 710 watt trimmer router and not really up to routing a lot of plywood but it would probably work if you fit the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I'm looking at making an mft table top and so went off and bought the following Jig: https://www.247wood.nl/en/mft-plunge-router-jig-20mm-complete-set/a3957?c=3565.

I have a Makita RT0700CX2 Router/Trimmer (1/4") with a plunge base and a 30mm guide bush. I now need a 20mm groove cutter, the only one I can seem to find it the Trend Professional 1/4" Shank Straight Router Cutter Bit-Ref: 4/6X1/4TC but my issue is I think the shank is far too short. it's overall length is 57mm. The template is 18mm thick and I need to cut through 18mm ply.

I'm a bit stumped so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Let us know how you get on. I'm looking to do the same and make an MFT and looked at that Template jig but like yourself I only have a 1/4" router (Bosch in my case) and couldn't see any suitable router bit

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on. I'm looking to do the same and make an MFT and looked at that Template jig but like yourself I only have a 1/4" router (Bosch in my case) and couldn't see any suitable router bit
    I have to admit to buying a cheap 1/2 router, just waiting for the bit ti arrive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

I have to admit to buying a cheap 1/2 router, just waiting for the bit ti arrive now.

That seemed to me to be only option. One of the reasons I looked at that jig was because of the cost compared to something like the Parf system so not sure what way to go. Thanks for the update and will be interested to hear how jig goes

cgc5483 wrote: »
    That seemed to me to be only option. One of the reasons I looked at that jig was because of the cost compared to something like the Parf system so not sure what way to go. Thanks for the update and will be interested to hear how jig goes

You are bang on there's not much difference in the price when you add it all up, I'll get a bit more use out the Router than the Parf. I'll take some pictures when using the jig and post them up.

Had a look at the spec of that template again. Its says its 96 x 96 mm - that must be the distance between the centre of the holes ? I'm surprised its 18 mm thick. For jig making I sometimes buy a polyethylene cutting board from Tesco which is only 6 mm thick. To replicate holes in a substrate you can simply drill a few holes to the required size and use a top bearing mounted pattern bit to rout the required hole in the substrate.
    Saves having to use an offset guide bush.:rolleyes:

recipio wrote: »
    Had a look at the spec of that template again. Its says its 96 x 96 mm - that must be the distance between the centre of the holes ? I'm surprised its 18 mm thick. For jig making I sometimes buy a polyethylene cutting board from Tesco which is only 6 mm thick. To replicate holes in a substrate you can simply drill a few holes to the required size and use a top bearing mounted pattern bit to rout the required hole in the substrate.
    Saves having to use an offset guide bush.:rolleyes:

Good thinking. I'd use that template to make a 6mm MDF template with from which you route your table top. You could even lay out a larger 6mm template making it easier to route the final top with.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Good thinking. I'd use that template to make a 6mm MDF template with from which you route your table top. You could even lay out a larger 6mm template making it easier to route the final top with.

True. Having burnt out the motor of my drill press once by drilling too many holes I would always use a router now if I had to do so. All those hard plastics including acrylic can be cut on the table saw but you must use a negative rake blade.

Just tested my jig on a few scraps of marine ply. I'm going to knock up a planting table for outside. Intestingly the jig has now been removed from the manufacturers website, even the instructional youtube video is gone? Picture s to come...

Just tested my jig on a few scraps of marine ply. I'm going to knock up a planting table for outside. Intestingly the jig has now been removed from the manufacturers website, even the instructional youtube video is gone? Picture s to come...
    Here's an picture of the scraps.

• Advertisement

Just some pics of the worktop, 18 mm birch ply and 2 x 4s

Advertisement