Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverting FireFox Google search to Google.ie

• 18-01-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was on Google recently and had to go to the .com instead of the .ie. I think since then, the Google search on the FireFox search box has defaulted to .com. Is there any way to get it back to .ie by default? :) Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cantthinkof1

I was looking at firefox to see if there was a way to edit search engine settings but there are not to many options.
    WHat version of Firefox are you using and have you tried deleting your internet cache to see if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Clearing the cache worked, thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same myself but was curious if it's possible without having to clear the cache I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If you click on the drop-down list of search engines, there is an option called Manage Search Engines. There should be a keyword for the Google entry. If it's not set to Google.ie, try changing it to that.

I've never had to do this so I don't know if it'll work but in theory it sounds right. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Here's another great tip for you, one of the many reasons I prefer Firefox to the other browsers.

Open whatever page you want to use to search, for this example say www.google.ie

Right click in the search box and select 'Add keyword for this search', then type in whatever shortcut you want, 'g' being the most obvious.

Now you just need to click into the address bar on top (or Ctrl L if you're a shortcut fanatic like me)

just type your keyword letter, g in this case, followed by a space and whatever you want to search and up comes the results.

Here are a few that I use:

y - youtube
    e - ebay.ie
    gi - google images
    ad - adverts.ie
    w - wikipedia
    i - imdb
    surf - surf the channel

It works for pretty much any site that has a search box and is a great timesaver.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you visit the below link, you can install a unique google.ie search to work alongside google.com. Tonnes of other search options to add on as well.

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=google.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

delly wrote: »
    If you visit the below link, you can install a unique google.ie search to work alongside google.com. Tonnes of other search options to add on as well.

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=google.ie

Exactly what I needed, stupid, foreign based, corporate proxy has been wreckin-me-buzz for weeks.

Advertisement