Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee in Dublin?

• 06-09-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Coffee experts........ where do you think you can get the best Cafe Latte or Cappuccino in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At home :D

This thread may be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

I Agree Wtih GH At home is Always best:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

3rd Floor Espresso (3fe) on middle Abbey Street, across the Luas tracks from Arnotts. Owned and run by the Irish Barista champion and 4th in the world. Amazing stuff. For me it's the best coffee in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

sourgrapes wrote: »
    3rd Floor Espresso (3fe) on middle Abbey Street, across the Luas tracks from Arnotts. Owned and run by the Irish Barista champion and 4th in the world. Amazing stuff. For me it's the best coffee in Dublin.

2nd that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

+1 for 3FE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

At home , but when out I find Butlers hard to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

sourgrapes wrote: »

Another vote for 3FE, you won't find a better cup of coffee in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

PPC wrote: »
    Another vote for 3FE,

and another. Colin is also selling Hasbean coffee and a few other 'guest' coffees.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Another vote for 3FE too, had a cup in there this morning and it was easily the nicest I've ever had and nothing like your usual take out coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

+1 for 3FE
    Stopped in on Feb 5th and clearly this place tops anything I have had in Ireland.
    Had a cappuccino, finished it and had to have another one. Lovely staff and met a fellow Boardie while finishing my second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Wow is this third floor place new?

I've been going to La Corte (Epicurean Food Hall) and The Bald Barista (Aungier St) thinking these were the only two places for good espresso in Dublin

- how does this place on Abbey Street compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

3fe is lovely alright, but if you are all the way over on the other side of the city (like me :( ) I have discovered the coffee in The Alliance cafe is quite decent too (thought not a patch on 3fe obviously) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wow is this third floor place new?

I've been going to La Corte (Epicurean Food Hall) and The Bald Barista (Aungier St) thinking these were the only two places for good espresso in Dublin

- how does this place on Abbey Street compare?

It's new enough alright, the official opening was about 3 weeks ago now, but it's been open since just before Christmas... I think?

If you've been going to La Corte, then 3FE is only down the road, is definitely worth a try. I'd go as far as say it's better than La Corte & TBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I haven't been in it for a long time, but the Mermaid Cafe on Dame St has excellent coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Thanks for the recommendation guys. Popped into 3FE today for a cappucino - delicious. Even got another to take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I would like to second that. I popped into 3fe last week - and had a heart attack in an espresso cup.

Really fantastic stuff, some of the best coffee I've had in my life. I am going to miss the baristas in La Corte but I'll just have to call in for some Tagliatelle or something from now on I suppose:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HotRodLincoln

If anyone is looking for an unusual coffee experience I would highly recommend a visit to the Havana Cafe on Grafton St.(it's part of The Decent Cigar Emporium). I have been a cigar smoker for some years now and they have always served coffee but they have recently invested in a new machine and opened part of the shop as a coffee shop. They only serve cuban coffee, normally cubita i think, but if you like strong flavour coffee its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Another plus one for 3FE though I make a point of still going to La Corte as well, since they've been great throughout the last 10 (?) years. Plus Colin doesn't do food, so if I want lunch with my coffee...

Any chance Colin might be able to clone himself and open up a 3Fe on the southside? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

I popped in there today and had a couple of coffees. Very very nice. Seriously good. I'll be calling in again. :)

The only negative might be the location as it's not exactly the nicest part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

nc6000 wrote: »
    I popped in there today and had a couple of coffees. Very very nice. Seriously good. I'll be calling in again. :)

The only negative might be the location as it's not exactly the nicest part of town.
    It's twenty metres from Arnotts, about 70 from Henry St, which is fast outpacing Grafton St in terms of trade.
    This will shock you I know, but there are homeless people on the southside as well. ;)

nc6000 wrote: »

The only negative might be the location as it's too far from where I work

FYP :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Have been in 3fe twice. The last time will be my last. I found him a bit pretentious/snobbish.

I love my coffee but decided to get milk in my black filter coffee as I usually do. However when I asked for milk (which is not on offer) I got "why don't you taste it, before you see if it needs milk?" i.e. You're a philistine. I tasted it, then added milk. Was made to feel like a tit.
    I like coffee I purchase as I want it without remark.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭ch2008

Swampy wrote: »
    Have been in 3fe twice. The last time will be my last. I found him a bit pretentious/snobbish.

I love my coffee but decided to get milk in my black filter coffee as I usually do. However when I asked for milk (which is not on offer) I got "why don't you taste it, before you see if it needs milk?" i.e. You're a philistine. I tasted it, then added milk. Was made to feel like a tit.

Rant over.

Hi Swampy, my name is Colin an I'm the guy who runs 3FE.

First up, sorry if I made you feel like a tit. Thats never my intention and I apologise for that.

We do actively encourage people not to add milk or sugar to their filter coffee before tasting and there are a few reasons for this.

Adding sugar/milk before tasting (to me) is akin to people adding salt/pepper to a meal before they taste it. If I cook someone a meal and they taste it then season it then I have no problem with that. If however they seasoned the meal first then tasted it I'd be a little put out.

We regularly find that if our customers taste the filter coffees before they add sugar/milk they are often surprised by the sweetness and lack of bitterness and the vast majority actually prefer not to add anything once they've given it a chance.

However, if customers do add milk and sugar then thats perfectly fine and its not something we would bother them about again. When regulars come in who take milk/sugar we even put it in for them and do so happily. Some of our best customers take lots of milk and sugar.

Filter coffees are an excellant way to get to know single origin coffees and a lot of the nuanced flavours get lost once you add milk and sugar. Our filter coffees are relatively expensive so we want our customers to get the best from them.

I often see people add milk/sugar to our filters and then tell us theres nothing special about them and I cant help but feel they're missing out. If I encourage people to drink them black and unsugared its only because I want them to enjoy the coffees at their best.

In saying that I understand that some people prefer a strong coffee with milk and sugar. Usually we'd encourage people to have an Americano as its cheaper and suits this style a little better. If however they want the filter with milk/sugar and are prefered to pay the premium then thats perfectly fine.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you and I hope you'll reconsider your decision. we take great pride in finding drinks our customers love and making sure they get it that particular way every time.

There is a fine line between being informative and being haughty and I acknowledge that sometimes we may drift over that line, however unintentionally. If you send me a PM I' be happy to talk further on this and hopefully find a way to make ammends.

Sincerely,
    Colin

p.s we usually have a small jug of milk on the counter for customers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Ok. Fair enough. Thanks for replying. Maybe I was a bit harsh. I suppose I can be that way when I cook food.

Regarding your filter coffee, it was worth the money and personally having tasted before and after a little milk, I found it kept alot of it's flavour and character with the milk.

I've had your espresso which i drink black and unsugared and was amazing. I just prefer a drop of milk with filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublin Diva

Definitely best coffee I've had is at Milk + Honey on Aungier Street....great coffee, great baristas. Def worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Swampy wrote: »

Rant over.

I would take exactly the opposite opinion and am glad to see the guys in 3FE taking this approach. A few years back when I began taking my coffee drinking a bit more serious I visited lots of coffee shops aroung Dublin hoping that the barista would engage with me regarding the coffee on sale but the response was typically very dissapointing. Sometimes even a comment like "what coffee beans are you using today" would be greeted with a blank stare or a I only work here kind of answer. I am not blaming anyone for this it was just the way things were and still are in many places although things are definitly looking up. I find the kind of information that you can get from the good baristas like Colin and his staff to be very helpfull in my own quest to produce good coffee at home weather it be espresso or filter and don't forget it's easier for a barista just to pull a shot and hand it over rather than give of their time and experience to explain what they are selling and in their opinion the best way to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

I haven't seen "The Art of Coffee" in the Docklands mentioned yet. He uses Coffee Angel Beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Regular Latte

I haven't seen "The Art of Coffee" in the Docklands mentioned yet. He uses Coffee Angel Beans.

Where abouts in Docklands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

It's on Grand Canal Quay across the street from Il Valentino.

Advertisement