Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hows this working out?

A bit early to tell?

Not saying I agree with the OP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A section of The Polar Vortex drops on Eastern Europe, while me miss out or on the periphery. The high seemingly can't get far enough north to push the cold our way. We need a direct hit, a diluted easterly won't cut it in March. I am kind sick of the near misses at this stage. I would love just one significant snowfall at this stage, even if its gone the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

What I wouldn't give for some of that short-lived Greek, Syrian, Jordanian and Saudi Arabian Snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A section of The Polar Vortex drops on Eastern Europe, while me miss out or on the periphery. The high seemingly can't get far enough north to push the cold our way. We need a direct hit, a diluted easterly won't cut it in March. I am kind sick of the near misses at this stage. I would love just one significant snowfall at this stage, even if its gone the next day.

The near miss in early February, still within prime time still couldn't cut it. We need a direct hit or we get nothing in March. We've been so unlucky this year. Just about every other European country managed to get a direct hit of cold and snow this winter except for maybe Portugal. Even a direct hit after mid March snow melt will still be a problem during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Both the 12z ECM and 18z GFS aren't far away from an easterly by 6 March (ECM only goes to 4 March but shows promise and GFS easterly is a near miss - but still...)

Greece gets the easterly on the 0Z. I'm sure it'll be back towards us on the 6z. Or completely gone altogether :D

Height roses from the start of March looks to be locked in at least, after that who knows where she goes. Pin a tail on the donkey until we get closer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the cold spell will continue to get shifted around from one part of europe to another and delayed. Expect nothing as the chances of us getting a cold and snowy period in the next 2 to 3 weeks looks fairly remote. We may end up getting cold zonality but that limits snow mainly to hills and anything that falls would melt instantly by the middle of March.

The vortex moving to the arctic could allow heights to rise towards the north or northwest after the initial settled spell , so perhaps a north westerly or brief northerly airflow into the second week of March. A GFS run yesterday ended with a northerly.

The northerly yesterday only skimed Ireland and there wasn't anything other than a cool day associated with it and it was mostly dry as well which is the way most northerlies go for us. Snow was confined to mainly Scotland in that run.

The ECM extended is out and basically it is hinting at a dryer than average first half of March, especially for eastern and southern areas. The north and west will be closer to normal in terms of precipitation by the second week of March with hints of the Atlantic beginning to make inroads again. The first week of March will be very mild, perhaps 3 to 5C above average. Once we get to the second week of March temperatures will be back to more normal values.

The ECM is hinting at a return of the westerlies for the second half of March and it may become increasingly unsettled and perhaps slightly cooler if we have a north-west to south-east alignment of the low pressures in off the Atlantic.

Dryer than average is the buzz. It's a thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement

Dryer than average is the buzz. It's a thumbs up from me.

Unfortunately as this is FI this dry spell is not guaranteed for any decent length of time. The 12z wants to to bring cooler weather in from the 3rd of March which develops into an easterly. Not a freezer easterly but a cool easterly which would bring days of rain showers to the eastern half of the country with wintryness on the hills. Hopefully this doesn't happen as it would not be pleasant. A 'flat' easterly in March is no longer bitterly cold, it needs to be a North easterly to bring temperatures down cold enough. By the end of March we would need a direct northerly from the pole in order to maintain wintryness. Easterlies can be very cold in the winter but they become milder as we move into the Spring and eventually warm by the end of Spring and into the start of summer.

GFSOPEU12_168_1.png

GFSOPEU12_264_1.png

Atlantic comes back a few days later with a cool north-west to south-east flow.

GFSOPEU12_348_1.png

Gonzo wrote: »
    The ECM extended is out and basically it is hinting at a dryer than average first half of March, especially for eastern and southern areas. The north and west will be closer to normal in terms of precipitation by the second week of March with hints of the Atlantic beginning to make inroads again. The first week of March will be very mild, perhaps 3 to 5C above average. Once we get to the second week of March temperatures will be back to more normal values.

The ECM is hinting at a return of the westerlies for the second half of March and it may become increasingly unsettled and perhaps slightly cooler if we have a north-west to south-east alignment of the low pressures in off the Atlantic.

I will not be reading too much into those EC46 update after this winter, they have been wide of the mark alot, particularly for this Februray. Although it does look like the first week of March will be settled, with cold zonality likely after that . The chance of a deep cold spell is all but gone now, the best we can hope for is a decent northern toppler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even though the weather for the coming days will be nice will that mean this forum will be silent?

I enjoyed all the mini events of the past few weeks. Certainly not as boring as past Winters even though snow was minimal.

Maybe March can surprise us yet. I remember one night in March, oh it must be nearly 15 years ago now and the snow was up to our knees. It quickly turned to rain the next day but there was lumps of it for one or two days. Would that be too much to ask?

pauldry wrote: »
    Even though the weather for the coming days will be nice will that mean this forum will be silent?

I enjoyed all the mini events of the past few weeks. Certainly not as boring as past Winters even though snow was minimal.

Spring is probably the quietest season of the year in terms of weather interest. Winter is gone for another year and interest generally only picks up around May when the weather hopefully turns more towards summer, then the model watching comes back looking for warm spells/heatwaves which rarely affect Ireland! Once we move into the autumn the buildup to winter begins again, so Spring is generally always the quietest season unless something exceptional happens such as BFTE/Storm Emma in March 2018.

The dry/settled period of weather should be starting around now with very little rain over the next week to 10 days. This dry spell will be most welcome after what seems like an eternity of damp or wet conditions since the 1st week of June 2020. it will remain very mild throughout the next week generally but once we reach the end of the first week of March temperatures will return to normal or slightly below average.

GFSOPEU06_198_1.png

At the moment the GFS is suggesting plenty of cold zonality from the 6th of March with fairly windy and wet conditions and these could be wintry on hills and mountains.

GFSOPEU06_300_1.png

GFSOPUK06_300_53.png

GFSOPEU06_342_1.png

We finish with perhaps a brief northerly and staying cold.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

pauldry wrote: »

Maybe March can surprise us yet. I remember one night in March, oh it must be nearly 15 years ago now and the snow was up to our knees. It quickly turned to rain the next day but there was lumps of it for one or two days. Would that be too much to ask?[/QUOT
    If we get early morning frost and fog, it might inspire people to take photos and post them

Decent snowfall used to be quite common in March, back when we used to get potent northerlies. There are people here claiming climate change has led to less cold northerlies, but it does not seem to be a problem in the states, although the cold there does not have to travel over vast stretches of warmer waters. Also, the whole vortex can pay them visit.
    I would love a northerly of old to pay us a visit this March.

The problem with the northerlies we get is nothing to do with climate change. It is the fact that the majority of northerlies we get aren't real northerlies, they are northerly topplers which only brush through the country for a day or so and are replaced by mild weather from the Atlantic 24 to 48 hours later. A real direct northerly is a completely different beast and requires blocking to be in place to stop the Atlantic from collapsing the northerly back into eastern Europe.

The problem with the northerlies we get is nothing to do with climate change. It is the fact that the majority of northerlies we get aren't real northerlies, they are northerly topplers which only brush through the country for a day or so and are replaced by mild weather from the Atlantic 24 to 48 hours later. A real direct northerly is a completely different beast and requires blocking to be in place to stop the Atlantic from collapsing the northerly back into eastern Europe.

This is not quite true, in the past a lot of northerlies were topplers that tended to last two to three days at most, before an Atlantic ridge came in on the third day to kill the shower activity off, but while brief they were potent. Northerlies that arose from proper blocking, which lasted longer than this time period, were not all that common from what I remember. The two best examples were 2000 and 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UW144-21.GIF?24-17

UN144-21.GIF?24-18

Surprising UKM. My froggy senses are tingling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What are we looking at here Kermit?

A possible route to cold with high pressure building to our north. Early days. I'll only get interested if it evolves and is still there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

A possible route to cold with high pressure building to our north. Early days. I'll only get interested if it evolves and is still there tomorrow.

Come on now Kermit, time to let this one go and let those Lilly pads bloom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 windows 7 home premium

pad199207 wrote: »
    Agree with this. I've had enough with the cold, plus they only bring cold rain in my part of the country.

pad199207 wrote: »

ICON first out and i'm liking the trend. I'm not saying it's on but i'm happy enough. It's the trend that matters.

icon-0-180.png?25-00

Lets see how this evolves. Not much change required to see a real easterly soon.

For those who hate snow and chaos in the run up to Easter you don't want me getting interested ;)

Oh sure the weather is so messed up nowadays anything is possible. But the trend is dry and eventless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

How long are we expecting this calm, dry spell to last? Regardless of temperature fluctuations but are we looking at a lull now for the next 7-10 days or can we expect more wet or windy events?

The weather is gone on holiday for 7 to 10 days.
    It will have to quarentine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Spring is probably the quietest season of the year in terms of weather interest. Winter is gone for another year and interest generally only picks up around May when the weather hopefully turns more towards summer, then the model watching comes back looking for warm spells/heatwaves which rarely affect Ireland! Once we move into the autumn the buildup to winter begins again, so Spring is generally always the quietest season unless something exceptional happens such as BFTE/Storm Emma in March 2018.

And despite that, I'd say overall it's probably the most enjoyable and pleasant season we have for most people. Days getting longer, first signs of warmth, nature coming back to life, statistically the driest and sunniest season and we all have the naive optimism that the summer ahead will be a scorcher!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement