Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavy Rainfall (Orange) Warning for Kerry, Cork, Tipp & Waterford - Tues 23 Feb

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just going to include the AROME model's predicted gusts. Seems a fair bit lower than some of the other models but did very well the last windy day. Will see how it does again.

anim_ord6.gif

aromehd-52-28-0_tbt8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Is there a risk there could be ninja snow (as I believe the term is on this forum) out of tonight’s rain

I ask as a girl I know who works in a local shop said she feels snow in her bones and thinks we will get a dump of it tonight - everyone in shop took heed as she’s been right in the past when met eireann got it wrong

Snow is very likely alright, but only above around 2000 metres. She's good :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Getting windy here in Carrick on Shannon, very mild compared to last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just going to include the AROME model's predicted gusts. Seems a fair bit lower than some of the other models but did very well the last windy day. Will see how it does again.

Looks like a normal week in kerry then.
    This really makes me want to take my 10 year old advice and move back to Dublin.

Just glad I'm on a mountain. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Getting windy now from the S here near Tralee, mild at 9.2C ( bit too warm for snow :pac: )

Rain picking up, 1.2mm

Getting milder overnight, up to 14C tomorrow and humid with a humidex feel of up to 15 or 16C.

aTw73Om.png

anim_zzb7.gif

h1RVQ1S.png

nmm_uk1-47-25-4_mlp3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lee Road in Cork closed due to flooding already, and it begins... Must be due to the extra water being released from the Dam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lee Road in Cork closed due to flooding already, and it begins... Must be due to the extra water being released from the Dam

Yes, and the rain hasn't even started!

https://twitter.com/floodingireland/status/1363951131815260166?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Would it not have made more sense to release it yesterday or the day before rather than now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The weather warnings are all over the place today, really poor from a communications point of view, the poor forecaster couldn’t even list all the counties before 6pm news and then they go and make it nationwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Why do people choose to live in this area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Does this have potential to hit Red in any areas?

Looking at the criteria it seems borderline in places

Why do people choose to live in this area?

They don't. The Lee Fields, the area that is currently and often flooded is a green amenity area alongside a major road.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

No fault to Met Éireann put there warning page is a absolute mess. Should of issued a Status yellow rainfall and wind warning for the whole country with a Orange warning for the southern parts. A orange warning also could of been issued yesterday which would give places more time to prepare. The low pressure system will be a high impact and should of been named also. I don't normally have a problem the way they handle things as most of the time the handle weather events very well but this time its been very badly done. For a normal person to go on and check there warnings I think the would look at it and be like nope not going to try and even work that out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And Cork City Council mention up to 80mm.

How does that compare with past events? I have no grasp of rainfall figures.

Rainfall totals for various Cork stations (including some rainfall only stations) during the previous infamous wet periods of 2009 and 2015 in the region. For both of these years, the ground had already been saturated with plentiful rain from prior month or weeks. Just a small sample space but hopefully gives you an idea.

JXwpH8i.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

This was it Saturday, so that's no surprise:
    05Ayd9Wb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

No fault to Met Éireann put there warning page is a absolute mess. Should of issued a Status yellow rainfall and wind warning for the whole country with a Orange warning for the southern parts. A orange warning also could of been issued yesterday which would give places more time to prepare. The low pressure system will be a high impact and should of been named also. I don't normally have a problem the way they handle things as most of the time the handle weather events very well but this time its been very badly done. For a normal person to go on and check there warnings I think the would look at it and be like nope not going to try and even work that out

I don't see what the issue is to be honest? There's various colour warnings for the areas for the appropriate times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Absolutely agree especially as it's an orange warning the second highest, wind is gonna be bad for all parts before the east coast gets gusts tomorrow morning as well as heavy rainfall too

Cork City Council have a decent warning system in place for floods or other weather related events, after their abysmal failing to warn people of the dam release back in 2009. Free opt in message service via SMS and email.

I don't know how other areas manage this.
    There should be a more coordinated flood warning system in place at a national level.

netbeatz wrote: »
    Does this have potential to hit Red in any areas?

Looking at the criteria it seems borderline in places

Was wondering that too

High end Orange warning going by the Met Eireann criteria at least, but the fact that the ground is so saturated and the rivers, lakes and reservoirs are so full you would think that the predicted rainfall could cause similar if not the same effect if Red warning criteria rain fell ??

A lot of water to flow off high ground into Weds / Thurs.

Can see a lot of road and bridge damage from this, possible mud slides or land slippage , hope not too many properties are flooded.

6N8nsh8.png

5Twc0tJ.png

anim_iuv0.gif

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Rainfall totals for various Cork stations (including some rainfall only stations) during the previous infamous wet periods of 2009 and 2015 in the region. For both of these years, the ground had already been saturated with plentiful rain from prior month or weeks. Just a small sample space but hopefully gives you an idea.

Oh wow, the projected rainfall from this event is certainly comparable to previous flooding events so.
    Thank you. Very interesting.

• Advertisement

Cork City Council have a decent warning system in place for floods or other weather related events, after their abysmal failing to warn people of the dam release back in 2009. Free opt in message service via SMS and email.

I don't know how other areas manage this.
    There should be a more coordinated flood warning system in place at a national level.

There should be a flood and severe flood warning system in place for each river which is mentioned on the tv weather forecast when need be and a website given so everyone can go check their local river warning status.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    There should be a flood and severe flood warning system in place for each river which is mentioned on the tv weather forecast when need be and a website given so everyone can go check their local river warning status.

Fully agree.
    Don't the UK have something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Healers39

I was walking out by the lee fields earlier today and the river was overflowing onto the path between the lee fields car park and the back of the Kingsley hotel. With extra water being left off at the dam and the rain that's due to fall things could get very serious around that area.

Fully agree.
    Don't the UK have something like this?

They do for England and Wales that I know of.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Would it not have made more sense to release it yesterday or the day before rather than now?

Same question asked.
    I don't really understand Eoin English's reply.

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1363956686466281481?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm, getting windy in the south now

Valentia gusting 48 knots(89km/h)
    Roaches point gusting 41 knots
    Mace head gusting 42 knots

gusty generally across the country now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Going out shortly to check the mountain drains above the house (to be sure - I checked earlier but there is so much dead grass around).

Anyone have any guidance if there there any spherics likely from this event ?

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

10mm of rain so far in Valentia from this and it's not even tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Walked along the Suir this evening and its at the top of the banks still after last weeks rain. I was down in Cork Friday for work and there is a good flood in the Lee. I have a bad feeling about this!

The folks are in Kerry, hopefully the town wont flood again.

Advertisement