Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rainfall (Orange) Warning for Kerry, Cork, Tipp & Waterford - Tues 23 Feb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lip Out wrote: »
    Strange that Wicklow is not included in the yellow warning. Looks like it will be wet, especially so in the afternoon. Ground very saturated as it is.

Those county-centric warnings have a habit of changing rapidly. I think Wicklow will included in time.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Villain wrote: »
    Tipperary added now too

That was a quick edit/addition!

Status Orange - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very heavy rain on Monday night and Tuesday will likely cause further river flooding and surface water flooding. Rainfall totals of 50 to 80mm, higher in mountainous regions.

Valid: 19:00 Monday 22/02/2021 to 21:00 Tuesday 23/02/2021

Issued: 10:21 Monday 22/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Do any of you think other areas will be added along the West Coast my garden is water logged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Are we running a just for fun rainfall prediction contest?

E.g 1. Cork 62.5mm
    2. Roches Pt 56mm
    3. Valentia 50mm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No flood warning from Cork City Council yet, I expect there will be at some point.

Will tides contribute anything to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Those potential rainfall totals are serious. I had to do some (necessary) travel over the weekend. The land is underwater in many places down in the south west and rivers still up after last week's rain. Hopefully no serious flooding occurs. People have enough to be dealing with at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    No flood warning from Cork City Council yet, I expect there will be at some point.

Will tides contribute anything to this?

Tides are not too big at the moment so shouldn't add to it. The higher tides will be this coming weekend with the full moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Clare, Limerick, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain on Monday night and Tuesday will lead to some river flooding and localised surface flooding. Rainfall totals of 30 to 50mm, higher in mountainous regions.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 22/02/2021 to 21:00 Tuesday 23/02/2021

Issued: 10:25 Monday 22/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

TAF for Cork airport shows some nasty conditions : light rain from 7pm,moderate rain from 10pm,heavy rain from 11pm coupled with a southerly wind gusting up to 47 knots

TAF EICK 221100Z 2212/2312 18015KT 9999 BKN016 TEMPO 2212/2218 18018G28KT
    BECMG 2219/2221 18025G40KT 5000 -RA BKN010 OVC015
    BECMG 2222/2224 3000 RA BKN005 TEMPO 2223/2305 17030G47KT 1200 +RA BKN003
    BECMG 2305/2307 1200 -RA
    PROB40 TEMPO 2305/2312 0500 RA FG OVC001

It's the duration of the rainfall that could be a problem too.

Continuous rainfall from tonight and all day tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Met office expect gusts of 50 to 60mph and up to 70mph on the East Coast.

Rain wise 15 to 30mm widely with 40 to 50m in some locations especially in the south with up to 60mm on the Mourne mountains.

A dirty day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see the council here in Kilkenny are out working in the countryside, with a digger and some other men making sure the drains are clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

yr.no has 48mm rainfall for cork city tomorrow

I've yet to receive a warning text message from Cork City Council.

https://twitter.com/echolivecork/status/1363875076865626112?s=19

Oh, there we go:

Cork City Council would like to advise residents, communities and business of a very serious imminent weather event which will affect all parts of the city. Met Eireann have issued an orange rainfall warning from 7pm tonight, Mon February 22, which will continue until Tue, February 23, tomorrow night.
    Rainfall of up to 80mm is expected. This will likely cause significant surface water or ponding and will lead to hazardous driving conditions tonight and tomorrow.
    Many rivers across the city will likely burst their banks leading to localised flooding. We are advising people who live in areas all across the city prone to river flooding to take active measures to protect their property. Sandbags and gel bags are available at our Anglesea Terrace Depot and Tramore Valley Park Civic Amenity Site up to 7pm tonight (Monday) for your protection.
    If you need emergency help, please contact Cork City Council's Customer Service Unit at 021 4924000 from 9am to 5pm or our out of hours emergency number 021 4966512.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rain starting to show on the west coast now. Make the most the dry weather! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain starting to show on the west coast now. Make the most the dry weather! :(

Have to get out for a walk before it arrives! Hopefully should be ok up to 7 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭cml387

The highest river level reading in Clonmel (since they started measuring anyway) was 4 metres above datum, on 30 Dec 2015.It peaked at just over 3.2 on Saturday evening and is now showing at just above 2. God knows what this next wet spell will do, because at 4 metres it was at the top of the additional flood gates at a spot known as the Gashouse bridge.

pauldry wrote: »
    yr.no has 48mm rainfall for cork city tomorrow

And Cork City Council mention up to 80mm.

How does that compare with past events? I have no grasp of rainfall figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭mcburns07

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    And Cork City Council mention up to 80mm.

How does that compare with past events? I have no grasp of rainfall figures.

A very wet day would typically amount to about 20-30mm in Cork. Pretty bad even if we "only" get 50mm or so. Add to the already waterlogged ground and overflowing rivers and we have a bit of a problem on our hands over the next few days.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I've done a video forecast for the upcoming warnings and looking ahead until the end of the week.

https://youtu.be/JAUNI4STc-c

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Heres the timeline to the lead into the very bad floods. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40137644.html

The dam has been increased to 225 this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Full flood barriers (parts of N72 to be closed) expected to be needed in both Mallow and Fermoy on the River Blackwater with full height barriers in place (very usual). Preparations are currently being made to close in an emergency by council workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there a risk there could be ninja snow (as I believe the term is on this forum) out of tonight’s rain

I ask as a girl I know who works in a local shop said she feels snow in her bones and thinks we will get a dump of it tonight - everyone in shop took heed as she’s been right in the past when met eireann got it wrong

Is there a risk there could be ninja snow (as I believe the term is on this forum) out of tonight’s rain

I ask as a girl I know who works in a local shop said she feels snow in her bones and thinks we will get a dump of it tonight - everyone in shop took heed as she’s been right in the past when met eireann got it wrong

Far too warm for Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭endainoz

Never heard of snow coming from the opposite of the Arctic in fairness. No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

endainoz wrote: »
    Never heard of snow coming from the opposite of the Arctic in fairness. No chance

Maybe....hmmmm maybe..,

If you don’t mind I’ll bookmark this to read again tomorr with the hot chocolate and looking out at fields of the white gold !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Small bit of a difference in wind strength between the models, I think the grouping below would be a fair average. Western counties don't look as strong as earlier runs but Southern counties now look stronger early to late morning, and staying strong enough in the SE and E into the early afternoon.

9CPTkRo.gif

anim_nhq0.gif

anim_tnh1.gif

arpegeuk-52-28-0_yvn4.png

Wind picking up now in Cork, just had a few gusts hit the house, spaced out around 10 mins each.

Edit: Cork City Council have also went from nothing to spamming my phone with texts every 10 minutes :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The models are fairly grouped with rainfall totals. That's a huge amount of rain going to fall in 24 hrs or so and set to continue in places some bit into Weds. Must be some serious flood risks in the SW and S.

x9jpWWn.gif

awSU2AN.gif

4dHjOYf.gif

XBNNDbm.png

0rX2dw0.png

Advertisement