Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European capital city with the most "interesting" Winter climate.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

8 days of rain probably isn’t normal for cork. I just googled it and it rains 146 days a year in cork. Which is 40%. Of course winter is worse than summer.

Probably not as abnormal as you might think. I doubt that graph posted would mean 8 days of continuous rain, which if it did, would be highly unusual alright.

Having said that, I think above any other city or large town in Ireland that Cork is subject to the most frequently occurring intense rains relatively speaking over the course of an average year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its fairly standard but thats the point. Rain every single day for a week. To use Munich as an example they have no rain forecast for a week, 9 - 17 degrees over the time. Lovely early spring weather while we have to put up with rain, misk, murk and plenty of wind by the looks of it.

Fed up of Irish weather, its awful.

Its fairly standard but thats the point. Rain every single day for a week. To use Munich as an example they have no rain forecast for a week, 9 - 17 degrees over the time. Lovely early spring weather while we have to put up with rain, misk, murk and plenty of wind by the looks of it.

Fed up of Irish weather, its awful.

Yeh. Germany is getting proper spring next week. Much of Europe is.

I lived in Pristina, Kosovo for 18 months.
    Proper snow & -20 in the winter, then that summer was 40+ degrees.
    Probably not a capital city that many would choose however :) I

Ljubljana, Slovenia is a lovely city, snow in winter and lovely sunny summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

bubblypop wrote: »
    I lived in Pristina, Kosovo for 18 months.
    Proper snow & -20 in the winter, then that summer was 40+ degrees.
    Probably not a capital city that many would choose however :) I

Ljubljana, Slovenia is a lovely city, snow in winter and lovely sunny summers.

It's one of the wettest cities in Europe though, most of Slovenia is I think. Gets more rain than Glasgow each year apparently. Went there one summer a few years ago and it was lashing throughout (still well worth a visit, quite a nice little spot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It's one of the wettest cities in Europe though, most of Slovenia is I think. Gets more rain than Glasgow each year apparently. Went there one summer a few years ago and it was lashing throughout (still well worth a visit, quite a nice little spot).

Measuring annual rainfall purely as mm per year can be very deceptive though, a more useful metric would be days (or even hours) with rain reported, I've never really seen a comparison or league table of that though.

Continental climates get a lot of thunderstorms in the summer months than might only last an hour but drop more rain than an entire months worth of miserable drizzle in Galway. I know which one I'd prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

Measuring annual rainfall purely as mm per year can be very deceptive though, a more useful metric would be days (or even hours) with rain reported, I've never really seen a comparison or league table of that though.

Continental climates get a lot of thunderstorms in the summer months than might only last an hour but drop more rain than an entire months worth of miserable drizzle in Galway. I know which one I'd prefer!

Completely agreed. I travelled from Munich to Venice by car and back by another route (basically an anti-clockwise circle route) in August 2019. The journey took a week as we stopped off in several places along the way. Everything was stunning about it. There was plenty of warm sunshine but also so many massive thunderstorms. Only got caught in the one but a handful of thunderstorms in that area could easily equate to a summers worth of rainfall in the likes of Dublin.

Same goes when I was in Sicily in September of last year. Almost completely dry at my coastal location in the south east of the island and almost unbroken sunshine except for a big thunderstorm one day however less than 10km inland, there were massive thunderstorms almost daily. Nearly every day that I spent lying out in the sun, I could hear almost constant thunder not too far away, every afternoon. I decided to drive a few KM inland one of the days to see for myself how bad the storms where. I've never seen rain as heavy before. Could not drive at all. Everyone was pulled over to the side of the road and there were torrents of rivers of water gushing down the streets. It went from dry to near zero visibility in the space of 100m. What's more, these particular massive storms were constantly fed due to convergence between the sea and land so they just sat there all afternoon, exploding with rain.

Yep, absolutely brilliant thunder storms in Europe, sure you wouldn't mind a bit of rain if it stops after a shower, not like the constant drizzle and occasional downpours on the West coast of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Agreed - Alpine Slovenia is usually dry and very warm in summers, with the occasional thunderstorm once a week or so. Huge downpours, and then nothing but 20+ degree heat the rest of the time.

The precipitation numbers are definitely skewed because of that, and the high snowfall in Winter across the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Istanbul is an amazing city.
    Lived there in the 90s - wouldn't want to now with the political situation - but weather wise it was wonderful.
    Guaranteed sun every day from April to October.
    Snow came a few times in the winter.
    Thunderstorms were out of this world.
    Because of the moderating effect of the Bosphorus temperatures were not excessive in summer or crazy low in winter.
    Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are right about the measuring of annual rainfall. Orlando has nearly twice the rainfall of Dublin, but you can have a two-hour downpour of a thunderstorm in the afternoon, preceded by six straight hours of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

True, but the weather the rest of the time in summer is also often very humid and uncomfortable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zisdead

The old " but Dallas has more rain than Dublin argument"

Still know the city I would prefer. You even get wall clouds , tornadoes, and as we see now snow as well as unlimited sunshine in most months.

Advertisement