Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds - Sunday/Monday Feb 14th/15th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Belmullet gusting 68 knots at midday!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was very rough in North Donegal during the night, but worst seems to have passed this morning?

It was definitely worse yesterday evening/last night than it is this morning. Noticeably warmer today too.

North Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

12.00 Belmullet gust 126kph

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Belmullet 68kt 126km/h Mace 61kt 113km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Belmullet gusting 68 knots at midday!

Equal to the max gust at the station of Storms Brendan (13 Jan 2020) and Callum (12 Oct 2018).

Most have had green warranted gusts as of now and likely a similar story with sustained winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One here in Castlebar thinking the same

I did not realise two of my cats were out when the gusts got really bad. Fearsome. shaking the place

The power went off around 11 am. - again. Never saw them move as fast as when I opened the door.

Power is back; when I called it in they said 300 were affected. Bless them for fixing it so fast.

Oops! Turns out three cats were out! Loud howls....

These gusts really are fierce powerful now. My letterbox flew off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

easing off now in Foxford , was wild there for an hour or so .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just had a gust of 89 km on my station in Galway

• Advertisement

Belmullet gusting 63 knots at 1pm. Knock 54 knots. Newport 54 knots.
    Calming down further south as clearer weather moves in from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭adocholiday

In Wicklow rain is more of an issue than the wind. My road is flooded as are the drains around my house. Serious amount of water out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Violent squall in Letterkenny just now, heaviest rain I've seen in quite a while. Assume that was the back edge of the front as it's suddenly dried up and the sun's out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very calm in the last hour in Castlebar, everything died down quite quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Another teacup storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3 hours on the bike this morning wind no more than a normal windy day. maybe a bit stronger with a squall between 12 and 2 but nothing exceptional in sw donegal ... yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

It's been very, very blustery in South Galway since last night, only really starting to abate in the last half hour or so.

Not strong enough to take the roof off or anything, but a wild wild night.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hoping for a nice spell of mild weather now where we can cut back on central heating and fuel costs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I recorded a marginally higher gust on Friday than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is the worst of the winds over? Gone all calm here now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The rumoured strong winds came through at midday. It’s now calmed down to 10-15mph and I see blue skies to me WNW!

Where are the strong winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The rumoured strong winds came through at midday. It’s now calmed down to 10-15mph and I see blue skies to me WNW!

Where are the strong winds?

They came at midday as you stated in your previous sentence

The power came back but the server died.. Seems to be OK now... although I think on emergency power .

Bitterly cold and still strong winds from the sounds. met ie say "gusts will continue tonight"

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo

Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km/h. Where winds are onshore there is a risk of coastal flooding around high tide.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 15/02/2021 to 09:00 Tuesday 16/02/2021

Issued: 16:00 Sunday 14/02/2021

Wild is the passing night and wild the deluging wind. Chill the air … dark and drab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Had the kids down to the beach yesterday at the peak of it. The sea was wild and the rain was just driving in from the Irish Sea, great experience for them. It died down by about 2pm but up until then it was pretty rough going.

Is it the heat that’s fuelling the strong winds or the strong winds carrying the heat?

Is it the heat that’s fuelling the strong winds or the strong winds carrying the heat?

Heat? what heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some difference today.

Very mild and nice sunny morning.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Heat? what heat?

Temp was at 13 degrees yesterday. That’s pretty much bikini weather :D

Advertisement