Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis elbow pain

• 28-08-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Has anybody any suggestions to help with this pain, I have it about 3 months now, I have bought elbow supports which have helped a bit but, still no sign of it going away. I only started back playing tennis this week, so have given almost 3 months rest. Any suggestions would be great, just really hoping I don't need to go to physio, could really do without that hassle, cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

GO SEE A PHYSIO.

And find out what part of your techniqe/equipment is wrong and fix it fast. Tennis elbow is bad news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rob2D is right. You need to find out what’s causing it,

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

sports physio booked for tomorrow to get a start on fixing it, I guess I was just hoping for an unrealistic quick fix. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Santan wrote: »
    sports physio booked for tomorrow to get a start on fixing it, I guess I was just hoping for an unrealistic quick fix. Cheers.

No quick fix sadly. Might be worth looking at your serve and forehand.

yeah can´t believe how long it is taking to get over it, 6 sessions with a physio, and now with a coach to help change how I play. Will be January I think before full recovery, big tip get a very good strap for compression, bought two cheapy ones which didnt really work but got a much more padded one for €30 and has really helped the pain with serving. Iam genuinely shocked at how much pain it brought in to my game, and that its lasted this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yeah can´t believe how long it is taking to get over it, 6 sessions with a physio, and now with a coach to help change how I play. Will be January I think before full recovery, big tip get a very good strap for compression, bought two cheapy ones which didnt really work but got a much more padded one for €30 and has really helped the pain with serving. Iam genuinely shocked at how much pain it brought in to my game, and that its lasted this long.

It was one of the reasons i gave up. Kept coming back at me.

Am so glad I went for coaching, that I think has been the big difference, 2 months ago I could not play 30 mins without wanting to throw in the towel, was horrible getting beaten every week, last weekend had a 2 hour game, still pain but competitive again, still lost though, doh, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. The key will be, as you said, will it return. Strapping the elbow in matches correctly I found to be key.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Am so glad I went for coaching, that I think has been the big difference, 2 months ago I could not play 30 mins without wanting to throw in the towel, was horrible getting beaten every week, last weekend had a 2 hour game, still pain but competitive again, still lost though, doh, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel. The key will be, as you said, will it return. Strapping the elbow in matches correctly I found to be key.

Stretch the wrist out too, that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

As @whiterebel has said there are stretches that you can that help ease the pain. I had tennis elbow after coming back from injury and the stretches I did really helped. These are some of them

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322746.php

Exercises 5 and 6 I found were great, I would do them before and during a match. At change of ends I would do these stretches.

Yeah I have been given very similar exercises from the physio, but the towel twist looks interesting will give that a go. Yeah I'm the same with doing them before matches as well, it does help. One thing though was the physio told me only do them every second day, as every day does not give the body enough time to heal, so if you repeat the actions again the next day, you just break the tendons, or whatever they are called, in the arm and you get no results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Better to consult with your physician but I have gone through this pain so I can recommend you few home remedies. First, you should try to overcome the inflammation with the application of hot water bag and after 30 minutes you can apply ice bag. Secondly, I found some good exercises on YouTube from trusted sources. You can get them yourself. These exercises give much relief. However, it is severe then better to consult with your doctor.

Better to consult with your physician but I have gone through this pain so I can recommend you few home remedies. First, you should try to overcome the inflammation with the application of hot water bag and after 30 minutes you can apply ice bag. Secondly, I found some good exercises on YouTube from trusted sources. You can get them yourself. These exercises give much relief. However, it is severe then better to consult with your doctor.

have been using an ice pack every day, and doing the exercises from the physio, it does help a little and as the day goes on I free up a little bit more. I had not tried a heat pack on it as was told to just ice it up, tried acupuncture, waste of time unfortunately, next step is a cortisone injection, which I think keeps me out of action, match wise, for up to 4 weeks, so it means I cannot do that just this minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Ludikrus

I was advised to try synthetic gut strings to avoid elbow pain and they definitely helped me. I went to a physio as well and did all the exercises and band resistance work that he prescribed. That was the most important thing to get the elbow better. But when I returned to play I had no reoccurring elbow problems using synthetic gut. I was pain free so long I got complacent about it. The pro shop at my club ran out of synthetic gut so I got him to string it with poly. One hard 2 hour match with the poly strings - elbow in bits. Lesson learned. Synthetic gut works for me.

Two weeks ago I went to another physio, was just recommended by a friend, told me the opposite of the first physio, to get back in the gym, lift weights, to start off slow but increase every day. It has worked really well, very little pain during games, much less pain lifting every day items and a lot less pain every morning when I wake up from stiffness. I just use a light weight for easy exercise in the morning and that really helps loosen up.

Advertisement