Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Manion wrote: »
    There is a section in the welcome pack that talks about the settling cracks. We've a few around the stairs.

What does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ant034

Does anyone know good tradesmen for painting and flooring. Prob a stupid question but do you reckon it's better to get the painting for first and then the flooring or vice versa?

Ant034 wrote: »
    Does anyone know good tradesmen for painting and flooring. Prob a stupid question but do you reckon it's better to get the painting for first and then the flooring or vice versa?

I'd say paint then floor. Less risky. Only advantage to painting after floor would be perhaps paint touch-up's on the skirting boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 PhoenixRoyal

hi all, we got a quote for the pocket doors at EUR 1,530 and an additional cost of EUR 350 for plumbing for the original radiator to be changed into two small radiators with position altered.
    For those who have had this alteration, can you pls PM me to advise if this was also your experience? thanks!
    by the way, also checked out of curiosity for the shelves unit in small room off kitchen/laundry room, still being quoted at EUR 4,000.

Beata K wrote: »
    maciektok wrote: »
    Hello,

Yeah we sanded the floor in the bedrooms and stairs and then Varnished it. It was hard work but happy with a result. It cost us 70 quid to rent a sander and then we spent about 150 quid on the varnish.we bought one that was stained white. Took us couple of days to do it

Hey maciektok, could you please pm me some pictures of the varnished floors? How you happy with effect after some time of living in? Can you also send me details where you rented sanding machine? In kitchen did you put tiles, did you have issue like someone else in forum with removing dishwasher after putting tiles on the floor?  Thanks
    @ Maciektok and Beata K, I would also be interested in these. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

guns_healy wrote: »
    Our heating is not working or no hot water

I'll call them in the morning but has anyone had this problem and fixed it themselves?

I didn't want to press anything on the boiler incase I made things worse!

I think ive mastered the heating system at this stage. couple of small issues with it but overall it's pretty good

Ant034 wrote: »

we user <mod snip > that works for ballymore he's pretty good. if you want I'll pm you his mobile

@ Maciektok and Beata K, I would also be interested in these. Thanks!

guys pm me your email address

hi all, we got a quote for the pocket doors at EUR 1,530 and an additional cost of EUR 350 for plumbing for the original radiator to be changed into two small radiators with position altered.
    For those who have had this alteration, can you pls PM me to advise if this was also your experience? thanks!
    by the way, also checked out of curiosity for the shelves unit in small room off kitchen/laundry room, still being quoted at EUR 4,000.

I'd be very interested to see some pictures of the entertainment unit that people have come up with. Even if it's been shipped in from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

guys pm me your email address

Maciektok, you can upload pictures to the forum, saves you sending lots of e-mails :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think ive mastered the heating system at this stage. couple of small issues with it but overall it's pretty good
    Did you find any good resources for it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mandy662

Just for clarification, for anyone who requested radiators to be moved, was there was charge or was it free? I thought I remembered someone on here saying they asked for radiators to be moved and it was free of charge,
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ant034

we user <mod snip > that works for ballymore he's pretty good. if you want I'll pm you his mobile

Would appreciate it you could. Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

mandy662 wrote: »
    Just for clarification, for anyone who requested radiators to be moved, was there was charge or was it free? I thought I remembered someone on here saying they asked for radiators to be moved and it was free of charge,
    Thanks!

I have had 2 radiators moved and I have had the wall between the living room and the kitchen removed which necessitated a change in radiators.

I was not asked to pay for the changes to the radiators. This seems to be a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Bruncvik

cronos wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to see some pictures of the entertainment unit that people have come up with. Even if it's been shipped in from abroad.
    Our media wall is not yet complete. This is how it looks right now. (And yes, we paid 160 TV license fee just to be able to stream an 8-hour video of a fireplace to our TV.)

media.jpg

We're currently looking for carpenters here and abroad, who'd build something to our liking. In my opinion, the one in the show house has lots of wasted space (hollow dividers and back that stands off a little from the wall because the skirting boards weren't removed there), so we'd get something more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Nhol78 wrote: »
    I have had 2 radiators moved and I have had the wall between the living room and the kitchen removed which necessitated a change in radiators.

I was not asked to pay for the changes to the radiators. This seems to be a new thing.

I was charged to move one radiator, but afaik, the pipes were already in so had to be moved. maybe if they were not already in, it wouldnt have cost anything.

Bruncvik wrote: »
    Our media wall is not yet complete. This is how it looks right now. (And yes, we paid 160 TV license fee just to be able to stream an 8-hour video of a fireplace to our TV.)

media.jpg

We're currently looking for carpenters here and abroad, who'd build something to our liking. In my opinion, the one in the show house has lots of wasted space (hollow dividers and back that stands off a little from the wall because the skirting boards weren't removed there), so we'd get something more efficient.

Well, I'm always interested to see different designs people come up with for this sort of thing. So feel free to share once you have a design/price etc.. on here or via PM if you prefer.

Nice fire :)

This crowd keep coming up on facebook. Might have some interesting solutions for the attic space <mod snip: no on thread recommendations as per charter please>

• Registered Users Posts: 23 IvanPogi25

For anyone interested on the progress of the construction of the recent phase launched last month, I have attached the photos we've taken today when we visited the site. First photo is house 17 and 18 on the site plan. Second photo is the foundation for Heron house.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

IvanPogi25 wrote: »
    For anyone interested on the progress of the construction of the recent phase launched last month, I have attached the photos we've taken today when we visited the site. First photo is house 17 and 18 on the site plan. Second photo is the foundation for Heron house.

Flying up!! They want to get number 19 up ASAP as it's the show house for the last phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Started investigating flooring (laminate and tile) but have a few questions:

-Most places sell flooring but don't want to install it, e.g. B&q are reluctant to install and charge 25 euro per m2 to install. That seems expensive.
    Should I adjust my expectations on floor fitting costs?

-Is it normal to buy the materials (tiles and laminate) myself and have someone fit or to just get a company who comenout and measure, supply materials and sort it all out?

-What thickness do I need to avoid creaky floors?
    -Do I use different thickness on ground floor vs upstairs?

-What standaed/grade /certification should laminate have to be considered durable and waterproof?

Basic questions but as I've never owned a house before, Im unsure how this usually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

-Most places sell flooring but don't want to install it, e.g. B&q are reluctant to install and charge 25 euro per m2 to install. That seems expensive.

-Is it normal to buy the materials (tiles and laminate) myself and have someone fit or to just get a company who comenout and measure, supply materials and sort it all out?

-What standaed/grade /certification should laminate have to be considered durable and waterproof?

Basic questions but as I've never owned a house before, Im unsure how this usually works.

This is an expensive quote. Des Kelly quoted us around 14/m2 to install. It's normal to get floors installed by someone else. Usually, if the floor is not that easy to install you should hire a professional that you trust (via recommendation from friends).

I don't know a lot about laminate floors but there are some that are good to install in the kitchen. Do more research on the internet to see your options (This is from an American site: https://www.lowes.com/projects/build-and-remodel/laminate-flooring-buying-guide/project)

Usually the underlay is the one that you change and not the thickness of the floor. On the ground floor you should use a foil-back and thicker underlay to protect from moisture and isolate as it's going on concrete. On the upstair floors you already have insulation so the cheapest will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi

We paid 24 euro per square meter or there abouts for hardwood fitting. If you get supply and fitted you should see a discount. The guys carried out a full site survey and caught numerous issues with the floor.

Laminate won't be water proof, you get water resisted to different levels but fundamentally it's paper.

You should have no creaking in your new house from the floor boards. Creaking is the should of loose boards rubbing against one another. If you get that horrible laminate up and down movement it's due to incorrect installation. We had that in the last place.

The real problem with laminate is the click click click noise walking makes. You really need a very good sound proof underlay. We used a water proof and sound damping underlay throughout.

Regardless of what you go for do make sure that downstairs you have a moister barrier. The floors are not sealed when you move in and if you do not seal them any floor you put down will be destroyed in no time.

Lastly, you'll need to get the doors cut, we used a guy on site but he cut the doors down on the floors which left white paint marks on the floor. Be sure any quote includes this costs. Also make sure you requested skirting boards to be tacted on rather.

Hi
    The guys carried out a full site survey and caught numerous issues with the floor.

What issues? Anything you got the builders to fix in snagging?

I go into a fair bit of detail in my first post. Essentially the ground floor concrete was full of waves, dips and humps. There was a mini hill in the back room. The builds had to sort it. In the end I wasn't 100 % happy with the back room but after two weeks of delays I had to move forward or risk not being in by Christmas.

I'd raised it in the snagging and the floor people had also got me to raise it before we even did the snagging. They had safe pass so could go onsite before it was finished.

I was told by other tradesmen that despite Bally more pretending this was a one off, the ground crew who did my property had feiced up others, and had been fired.

This would have been extremely expensive to fix if I had needed to pay for it.

I go into a fair bit of detail in my first post. Essentially the ground floor concrete was full of waves, dips and humps. There was a mini hill in the back room. The builds had to sort it. In the end I wasn't 100 % happy with the back room but after two weeks of delays I had to move forward or risk not being in by Christmas.

I'd raised it in the snagging and the floor people had also got me to raise it before we even did the snagging. They had safe pass so could go onsite before it was finished.

I was told by other tradesmen that despite Bally more pretending this was a one off, the ground crew who did my property had feiced up others, and had been fired.

This would have been extremely expensive to fix if I had needed to pay for it.

How exactly did they conduct the check to see that the floor was ok? I had a person in to check laminate and he thought it was fine but didn't actually conduct any specific checks on the concrete, just looked at it and thought it was fine saying "I have a good eye for these things".

Would you have spotted the floor issues yourself?

I'm pretty certain they put a laser level on the floor. I'd spotted some issues such as the waves but others you'd only notice once it was pointed out.

I got a 2 meter level and it was obvious using that. I wouldn't thrust someone's eye.

I'm pretty certain they put a laser level on the floor. I'd spotted some issues such as the waves but others you'd only notice once it was pointed out.

I got a 2 meter level and it was obvious using that. I wouldn't thrust someone's eye.

Yes hopefully that won't come back to bite me. I was already almost 2 months snagging with them as they made numerous mistakes. Hopefully, it will work out. I know I can raise snags after the sale but hoping I won't have to.

Nhol78 wrote: »
    Maciektok, you can upload pictures to the forum, saves you sending lots of e-mails :)

I probably prefer to send the photos via email rather than uploading them into a public forum, hope that's ok

fret_wimp2 wrote: »

some brands have waterproof laminates, I think balterio and egger do. we went with egger and we are very happy, although we didnt use it in the kitchen, I laid them myself, easy enough job, however if you;re not up for it i think you'll find someone on site who can do pretty decent job slightly cheaper then the shops too. pm for info

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Could somebody with a Heron house advised height of walls on ground floor? And height of living room window? And advise if door height is different from standard doors?
    Manu thanks!

Advertisement