Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New RTE player also blocked?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/player/

Not able to access it on campus.. I would've thought that it would work just like 4od but no... There was me thinking that the RealPlayer removal would help.. Is it just me or is this actually blocked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

It wouldn't work for me this morning either. Trying to sneakily catch up on home and away but no such luck.

The entire site and player is flash based though, so why would that be blocked when flash games aren't?

A little disappointing I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

its a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

wexican wrote: »
    The entire site and player is flash based though, so why would that be blocked when flash games aren't?

That's exactly what I thought :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've just played rte player fine - I'm using firefox - maybe try watching it on there?

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I've just played rte player fine - I'm using firefox - maybe try watching it on there?

Where on campus? I use firefox and no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

yes on campus internet now.

maybe you need to update something - my firefox did an automatic update this morning.
    but I've just watched dave fanning play the doves on the 11th hour no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Works fine on Safari......Can't see why you'd want to watch too many of the programmes it's giving me a choice of though!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

Haven't been able to get it to work in Merville on Safari or IE. Emailed RTE saying I got the ads to load but not the actual video, they said it was something to do with ad-blockers?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Make sure BOTH your system/Internet Explorer and Firefox preferences are set to use the UCD proxy at proxy.ucd.ie port 8484 for all HTTP and HTTPS traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

Sorry to drag this up again especially during exams.... Like this?

I have it set to use the same proxy for all connection types (HTTPS and FTP) in advanced settings too...

• Advertisement

c7 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this up again especially during exams.... Like this?

I have it set to use the same proxy for all connection types (HTTPS and FTP) in advanced settings too...

Just for the record I still never managed to get it working...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

muffinman wrote: »
    Just for the record I still never managed to get it working...

The new RTE Player opens a direct connection to the RTE Server on tcp port 1935

fmsv1.rte.ie:1935

As the application cannot be configured to use a proxy and ignores the browser settings it will only work on the staff networks, not on Wireless or Open plug in areas

OTNiner wrote: »

As the application cannot be configured to use a proxy and ignores the browser settings it will only work on the staff networks, not on Wireless or Open plug in areas

Hmm.. So what about the people up there claiming to have accessed it?? ^^ Were they in Daedalus or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

OTNiner wrote: »

RTE are pretty silly to do that if you ask me - Port 443 is always a better option since it can get around HTTPS proxies by using CONNECT mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ArcanumTom

Yeah it looks as if RTE are having trouble with the player, people on several different ISPs are having the same problem, including myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

are much...things blocked on ucd interwebs?

also this is a bit unrelated but how do you use 4od in ireland? not sure where to post this but some one here shud know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

betafrog wrote: »
    Nothing is "blocked" in UCD. There is just a number of applications that cannot be used through a proxy such as the one that UCD uses. This will all be resolved when (or if) UCD ever fully roll out Eduroam
    I stand to be corrected on this, but to the best of my knowledge that's not completely accurate. A proxy can be configured to allow stuff to run or to block it. In UCD's case, quite a number of things are, from what I've gathered over the last 4 years, deliberately blocked - P2P file sharing is an obvious example.

But do correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Advertisement