Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bailey point, Salthill

• 21-03-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Anyone live in Bailey Point? Whats it like? Any problems? Thinking about moving in there but have heard some mixed reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Baileys Point seems to be cursed, doesn't have very many people living in it (it would appear) so much for the club and cinema proposed for it too, I think you could find a better place to call home somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Should be some good views from the higher floors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was ALWAYS supposed to have a "bar and nightclub, cinema and restaurant" and the ongoing lack of a cinema ( and the lack of lights on at night) scares me, frankly ! I hate empty cinemas , they are soooo 1950s rural Ireland . I would wait until the court case is settled , its imminent .

The original court case was dismissed

Then a certain Solicitor named Michael Lynn 'appeared '
    In 2003, property developer Brian Cunningham and his wife Marian made a complaint to the Law Society after Lynn deducted professional fees of €817,747 from a sale deposit of €1.4 million held in a client account after a property sale at the Finglas Shopping Centre.

As part of its investigation, the Law Society probed six allegations made by the Cunninghams in relation to Lynn.

In addition to the professional fee deduction, the Cunninghams also claimed that Lynn had acted ‘‘negligently’’ in relation to the title of a property development at Salthill.

According to the Law Society report at the time: ‘‘First Active apparently had issued loans totalling IR£25 million but, because of the title problems, the site was now valued at only IR£15 million. The Cunninghams stated that they would be filing a claim of IR£10 million against the solicitor, the Law Society and the compensation fund.”

They also alleged that Lynn had acted negligently and recklessly in several other cases, and, that due to this negligence, they believed he was partially responsible for three of their companies going into receivership.

Despite all of this, the Law Society ‘‘came to the conclusion that the complaint made to the Society did not constitute grounds to warrant intervention,” according to Law Society documents.

In light of the recent evidence against Lynn, Cunningham and his wife have now issued a writ to recover €817,747 from the Finglas Shopping Centre sale.

This ties in with Cunningham losing the Bailey development to teh bank and with the the lease on the bar/cinema/nightclub

Unsurprisingly there is a new court case in train and being heard as a matter of urgency .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shocking.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is a very ugly building - I wouldn't want to live in it

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It is a very ugly building - I wouldn't want to live in it

'cptr

only topped by the Burren Mount, beside it.......:eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

galwaytt wrote: »
    only topped by the Burren Mount, beside it.......:eek:

YEAH!!!! WHAT IS THE STORYYYYYY WITH THAT PLACE?? What's spooky is that it's closed up completely, but sometimes you see a lightbulb on from the side windows, spooxfest I tell ya!
    It hasnt been touched in YEARSSSS, all the furniture's covered in blankets, all 60's retro style beds and all, haha! Dust bunnies galore!-put that on your breakfast toast and eat it. Another of Galways delicious sights! Just atomic bomb the place and start again, minus the boggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

burren mount?
    pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its right across from the car park on the prom. It looks like a giant grey soviet-era lego brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dont forget the 'massacre house' curtains:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once stayed in Eastern Europe, before the Wall came down.
    The hotels there looked like Burren Mount.

Bailey Point agus Burren Mount
    dscf10647jj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

cornbb wrote: »
    Its right across from the car park on the prom. It looks like a giant grey soviet-era lego brick.

I actually like the Building, almost Art Deco...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I always liked how the building looks. Had no idea Michael Lynn was involved. Doomed, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Ive a mate living in there, and however abandoned it looks on the outside, inside its as plush a place as ive ever seen. The flats are all brand new (obviously) and well maintained. The rent aint cheap, but when you have a talking elevator (with a sexy, flirty voice) taking you to your domicile in comfort, then what matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ive a mate living in there, and however abandoned it looks on the outside, inside its as plush a place as ive ever seen. The flats are all brand new (obviously) and well maintained. The rent aint cheap, but when you have a talking elevator (with a sexy, flirty voice) taking you to your domicile in comfort, then what matter?

You're supposed to have sex IN the lift, not WITH the lift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Reminds me of the MI5 building in London. Are the Irish secret service operating out of Salthill?

img_6964.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You're supposed to have sex IN the lift, not WITH the lift :D

Jesus. Society and it's "Rules"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 investsense

I am currently renting there and love the place except for the high rent but it is hard to find a place in Galway of equal stature except maybe cuirt seoige. I need a bright modern place to cheer me up after work and it does the job as does the location since it is so convenient for walking the prom. I moved there from dun na carraige because dun na carraige was just that bit too far to walk into town from there whereas I can walk into town in 25 minutes from Baily point and not have to rely on Galway's infamous public transport.

I am currently renting there and love the place except for the high rent but it is hard to find a place in Galway of equal stature except maybe cuirt seoige. I need a bright modern place to cheer me up after work and it does the job as does the location since it is so convenient for walking the prom. I moved there from dun na carraige because dun na carraige was just that bit too far to walk into town from there whereas I can walk into town in 25 minutes from Baily point and not have to rely on Galway's infamous public transport.

I think you were looking for this website www.daft.ie

daft has plenty of nice places outside the city centre , but as I said Galway's transportation network is pretty unreliable so I need a place where I can walk to everything and still feel out of the city. Basily point seems to be the best option as Knocknacarra is not walking distance and most of the city centre places are too run down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

*cough*

orlando-real-estate-agent-742795.jpg

daft has plenty of nice places outside the city centre , but as I said Galway's transportation network is pretty unreliable so I need a place where I can walk to everything and still feel out of the city. Basily point seems to be the best option as Knocknacarra is not walking distance and most of the city centre places are too run down.

Wow how informative, do tell us more:rolleyes: Is the market really that bad that you have to whore your wears here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Is the market really that bad that you have to whore your wears here?

It just cannot be easy waiting for the Bailey related court case involving Michael Lynn .

Here is the very latest news on the subject for you Bailey watchers

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0712/1215787862658.html

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Court to decide if Lynn may give evidence by video-link

COLM KEENA, Public Affairs CorrespondentTHE HIGH Court is to rule later this month on an application to have video evidence heard from Budapest from absconded solicitor Michael Lynn.
    Mr Justice Frank Clarke deferred a ruling on the matter after it was raised during an ongoing case involving the Cunningham Group and First Active.
    The Cunningham Group has asked the court to accept video evidence from Mr Lynn, who does not want to return here to give evidence in person because there is a High Court warrant for his arrest. He is wanted for questioning about running up tens of millions of euro in bank debts.

Old part of this long running story about the Bailer below.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/02/08/story57000461.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

i am thinking of moving there, 800 euros for a 1 room apartment, is that good value??? I would have liked a balcony but it doesn't have one:(...oh well they assure me it is stunning and that there is a lot of interest.....any alternatives, i want a good mdoern place, with seaview or cityview with balcony, just a nice spacious well-furnished funky place, any ideas???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Nathan251 wrote: »
    i am thinking of moving there, 800 euros for a 1 room apartment, is that good value??? I would have liked a balcony but it doesn't have one:(...oh well they assure me it is stunning and that there is a lot of interest.....any alternatives, i want a good mdoern place, with seaview or cityview with balcony, just a nice spacious well-furnished funky place, any ideas???

Add 50 squid a month and you will get a 3bed semi-d house! Maybe its just me but I prefer to have plenty of space in the house, a garden and a couple of spare rooms over an apartment with a balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hey,

Just because the landlord was stupid enough to buy this overpriced property doesn't mean you have to rent it from him!

Total Properties for rent in Galway (see second large graph) - There is lots of spare capacity out there so bargin the RENT DOWN - tell them you like it but you only have 700 p.m to spend!

Or get yourself a 3 bed place for upto €100 extra..

3 beds less than 900

I am paying 1050 for a 2 bed so 800 seems a little steep. Maybe you could bargain it down to 700/750. I know Pencil said you could get a 3 bed for under 900 but not a chance of getting one near the prom and within walking distance of the city. So it depends what you are after. You could get a decent place in knocknacarra for 900 but would spend alot more time commuting etc ...Your call..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 galwayfrancis

very strange how i came about this thread, but my friends recently moved into a five bedroom house behind the two pubs there beside the hotel and their paying 900 a month! place needs a good lick of paint but nice location....anyways nite for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Down Flea lane? Nice :pac:

Make sure they see *that* car on the side of the Baileypoint. It should be the number one tourist attraction in Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Just got a nice 3 bed house for 700 a month in Dangan so I think its a bit expensive, that said, I'd reckon you could haggle them down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement