Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rav4, Grand Vitra, Sportage, & CRV? others?

• 05-04-2012 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Would have any advice on choosing a 4x4 for herself?

I am looking at 2005+ 1.9-2.2lt vehicles with <100k. At the moment, I am looking at both petrol/diesel Rav4, Grand Vitra, Sportage, & CRV. Will be doing low mileage with the 4x4 & need it to tow a horse box. Budget 5k-10k.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Rav4 D-4D can suffer from DMF failure as do the Sportage CRDi of that vintage. Most of the Sportage models are usually 2wd also. I think the Grand Vitara uses the VW 1.9/2.0 TDi engine, don't really know anything more about them to be honest. The CRV is probably the best of that bunch imo but not sure how good it would be at pulling a horse box though.

A new shape Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi might be worth looking at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Out of them the KIA Sportage and the smaller model Suzuki Grand Vitara would be the flimsiest so If you need a strong car id stay with the Honda CRV or the Toyota as they are the most reliable and you can get around the 2006 mark for your budget. If your doing very low mileage, id stick with a petrol one though as the prices are normally cheaper and diesel wouldn't be worth the saving in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Subaru Forester?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

How many horses does she intend to pull? What box is she using? Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 2litre to pull a box and it would really only manage one horse. I know of someone who has a grand vitara and loves it but when two horses were loaded, the clutch was destroyed and cost a fair bit to replace.
    Would you consider a Kia sorento? Bigger engine though at 2.5 and well able to pull a double horsebox with two horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Kamili wrote: »
    I know of someone who has a grand vitara and loves it but when two horses were loaded, the clutch was destroyed and cost a fair bit to replace.
    that's the drivers fault not the car. We used to pull a very heavy box with two Irish draft mares in it in a 1.6l Carina and never had an issue.

Op check out the 4x4 section for answers but I'd really advise you get a proper 4x4 as the gearbox will be setup for economy in anything smaller making pulling a horse box a painful experience in a smaller capacity vehicle. May I also recommend a diesel engine for towing due to the larger amount of available torque over a petrol unit. And finally the Vitara comes with a PSA hdi engine. While I won't recommend a car for you I advise staying away from SUVs and Nissan 4x4s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Posted over in the OPs other thread in the 4x4 section that none of those 4x4s are rated to tow more than 2000kg, some even less. If you want to tow a double box with two horses you need a full size 4x4 or other large vehicle rated to tow it.

There's still a fairly lax attitude to towing here going by the number of large cattle trailers behind cars and small jeeps outside the local mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

101sean wrote: »
    Posted over in the OPs other thread in the 4x4 section that none of those 4x4s are rated to tow more than 2000kg, some even less. If you want to tow a double box with two horses you need a full size 4x4 or other large vehicle rated to tow it.

There's still a fairly lax attitude to towing here going by the number of large cattle trailers behind cars and small jeeps outside the local mart.

I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7. If I'm reading the plate right, it's rated for a train weight of 4350kg. I guess the XL7 is no more than 2000kg itself. That leaves 2350 for the trailer and load.

@OP, are you looking for a passenger 4x4 or commercial ? Will you be paying the commercial road tax on it or private ? If private, then the large engined 4x4s will be in the region of 1000+ euro tax per year. The 2.0HDi Peugeot engine in the Grand Vitara isn't the fastest, but the road tax won't break you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

Kamili wrote: »
    How many horses does she intend to pull? What box is she using? Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 2litre to pull a box and it would really only manage one horse. I know of someone who has a grand vitara and loves it but when two horses were loaded, the clutch was destroyed and cost a fair bit to replace.
    Would you consider a Kia sorento? Bigger engine though at 2.5 and well able to pull a double horsebox with two horses.

Cheers. Just the one horse & a 2 berth box.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

look at the Mitsubishi Outlander/Citroen C-Crosser/Peugeot 4007 as well.

• Advertisement

Yawlboy wrote: »
    look at the Mitsubishi Outlander/Citroen C-Crosser/Peugeot 4007 as well.

Lovely 4x4's, but outside the budget (<10k)....Anyone have experience with VW Tiguan 1.4tsi (4x4 & 150bhp), tax only e358?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the Grand Vitara uses the VW 1.9/2.0 TDi engine, don't really know anything more about them to be honest..

they use a renault unit, AVOID.......at all costs.

OP, do you have the EB licence to tow a horse box? it's vital these days as the cops and the rsa are clamping down big time on it, and you;ll be on your own insurance wise in the event of a claim (third party cover only will apply).
    Just be sure to keep your self covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

MidlandsM wrote: »

That's the 06 onwards model (totally different body shape), the DDiS model with the 1870cc Renault engine. The older ones are Peugeot engines (fine) and if you go back far enough they had a japanese engine, Mazda I think.

MidlandsM wrote: »

OP, do you have the EB licence to tow a horse box? it's vital these days as the cops and the rsa are clamping down big time on it, and you;ll be on your own insurance wise in the event of a claim (third party cover only will apply).
    Just be sure to keep your self covered.

She does, she had to do a test with the box reversing around a housing estate....would'nt fancy it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

lifer_sean wrote: »
    That's the 06 onwards model (totally different body shape), the DDiS model with the 1870cc Renault engine. The older ones are Peugeot engines (fine) and if you go back far enough they had a japanese engine, Mazda I think.

I know, and that the one i would hasve thought the OP was seeking out. They look well, a decently equipped, but that renault engine is such a let down in them. As you say Sean, the older one were pug powered, and were/are grand buses.
    She does, she had to do a test with the box reversing around a housing estate....would'nt fancy it myself.

good on her......not an easy thing indeed, I admire her!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've a Nissan X Trail 4x4
    Nice power, super comfortable and pulls a trailer well.
    Do your research well, I found the Nissan issues were exaggerated and spoke to a few lads with big milage done and no problems at all.
    38mpg all day long which is ok for a 4x4.

Advertisement