Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mivec Engine Conversion

• 27-01-2010 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, im looking to do an engine conversion on my 1997 colt from 1.3 to 1.6 mivec. Its a jap import car so the engine just drops in. I found an engine with a zr gearbox ecu wiring loom and driveshaft for 1100 quid. engine has 110k km on it and is fully serviced. He wants 500 quid to fit the engine. So 1600 for a full conversion, is that a good price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

don't forget the full brakes conversion too..

I wouldn't bother tbh. You'd buy a genuine one cheap enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sounds fairly cheap for a conversion, I presume it doesn't include stronger engine mounts to deal with the extra power?

The engine may just drop in but you will also need to upgrade the brakes as SV said, you will need to invest in getting your rear drums changed to a brake disc set up.

You should also look into stregthening the chasis to deal with the extra power and investing in a handling modifications to make it worth while getting the extra power.

The 1.3 will not have been ssetup to deal with anymore power than it has so giving it extra power without upgrading the rest of the car will be pointless.

I agree with SV a MIVEC engine conversation seems a bit pointless when you can get a proper MIVEC with all the extras for not much more than your spending, add in having to upgrade the brakes, chasis and suspension and just buying a MIVEC would probably work out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Shane2000

Yeah i have rear disk brakes and new front brakes. The cheapest mivec that i could find was 3grand. Went to look at it and the gearbox was in ****e. have a strut for the engine, thats all i have at the mo for strengthening the chassis. I'm probably going to go ahead with the conversion as i've put a good few quid into the car already to get the exterior looking right. anything else i will need done after the conversion is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Shane2000 wrote: »
    Yeah i have rear disk brakes and new front brakes. The cheapest mivec that i could find was 3grand. Went to look at it and the gearbox was in ****e. have a strut for the engine, thats all i have at the mo for strengthening the chassis. I'm probably going to go ahead with the conversion as i've put a good few quid into the car already to get the exterior looking right. anything else i will need done after the conversion is done?

fire it up, Spend a good hour makin sure theirs no knocks, leaks or loose bits and your away.

are you decalring it as a 1.6 mivec or an insurance liability.

Yeah have a mate who is a good mechanic, he is coming with me to check the engine before i get it. Im thinking about declaring it but quinn will probably screw me for insurance then.. 19 full license 2 years no claims and still paying 2,200 on a 1.3.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yeah have a mate who is a good mechanic, he is coming with me to check the engine before i get it. Im thinking about declaring it but quinn will probably screw me for insurance then.. 19 full license 2 years no claims and still paying 2,200 on a 1.3.....

Well you either declare it or you're not insured at all and pay 2200 for a piece of paper.
    and if you're not insured I hope to god you get caught.

Theres no thinking about declaring it.

You have to, end of.

Its something you should habe enquired about as soon as you thought about an engine swap. You cant give out about the high cost of insurance when your thinking about doing something that is a major reason why premiums are high for everyone.

As SV said if you dont declare it your just paying for an expensive piece of paper, if you then did happen to cause a crash the penalties are far greater than I expect you think

Rang up quinn 3200 on my own policy 1800 under my ma. Gonna go for for the name driver option. Yeah true if i did crash id be in the manure if the engine wasnt declared

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just buy a proper car to start with.
    1.3 Colts are bog basic, and 1.6 Colts are hardly expensive.

I know of a Colt with a 2.0 V6 MIVEC conversion done - that's admirable, but a 1.6 in a 1.3 Colt will never be as good as a peoper 1.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

TBH. Its not worth the effort unless you were seam welding, bracing and caging the chassis and turning it into a proper track car.

Breaks and Insurance going to be your problem.

• Advertisement

getting engine + brakes fitted next week. Ill have it declared week after. Insurance is 1400 from insurance.ie. Super

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Post the work your doing on here. Will be interesting to see how it works out

will do, ill post a few pics of the car now, and after. Got a new exhaust ready for fitting for when the engine is in and 17" team dynamics alloys in red/black. Pics will be up tomorrow

Sorry about delay on pics, will be up when i get a bit of time! Dropped the car down to get conversion yesterday, will be ready for pickup on friday. I have to get full brake conversion. Will i get standard brakes from a cyborg zr mivec or can someone recommend something better that doesnt come with a crazy price tag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Id hope you upgrading your suspension? A good set of coilovers would make a lot of difference handling wise. Have the mivecs a built in LSD?

Brake wise i think you can get a set of Evo brakes to fit the colts, not sure which version covered them but.

Dish wrote: »
    Id hope you upgrading your suspension? A good set of coilovers would make a lot of difference handling wise. Have the mivecs a built in LSD?

Brake wise i think you can get a set of Evo brakes to fit the colts, not sure which version covered them but.

No point in buying Evo brakes for a Mivec Colt engine, the standard Mivec Colt brakes will be fine, its not like the Mivec eengine is going to be a 300bhp beast ;)

Some Colt Mivecs had LSD some didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

I know that yea but its alway good to have good brakes!:P Plus MIVECs being broken wouldnt be all that common would they compared to the likes of an evo so price wise i dont know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fado5

there was 3 different types of mivecs, 130bhp, 150bhp and 180bhp (if i remember rite) the lower power 1s had no LSD but the 180bhp had

for **** sake get it remapped for irish fuel.. the mivec's eat piston rings when not mapped rite, ul be sorry if u dont cos she'l fail NCT, blow blue smoke, and eventually loose all power..

god i miss my 200+bhp mivec :(

fado5 wrote: »
    there was 3 different types of mivecs, 130bhp, 150bhp and 180bhp (if i remember rite) the lower power 1s had no LSD but the 180bhp had

for **** sake get it remapped for irish fuel.. the mivec's eat piston rings when not mapped rite, ul be sorry if u dont cos she'l fail NCT, blow blue smoke, and eventually loose all power..

god i miss my 200+bhp mivec :(

The three different power ratings you refer to were in different cars, the Colt Mivec was rated at around 150bhp but over here most only made around the 130 - 135bhp mark.

The Lancer Mivec is rated around 175bhp but only ever really makes around 150 - 155bhp here.

I wouldn't be too pushed about remapping a Mivec, sure there a bit softer than a VTEC but a well looked after Mivec will be reliable without the need for a remap.

You cant fail the NCT for not having a car mapped for Irish fuel either

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't using E5 work instead of mapping? Can't speak for the 1.6 MIVEC, but any 2.0 MIVEC I had, or have heard of never had issues with lower octane fuel.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    The three different power ratings you refer to were in different cars, the Colt Mivec was rated at around 150bhp but over here most only made around the 130 - 135bhp mark.

The Lancer Mivec is rated around 175bhp but only ever really makes around 150 - 155bhp here.

I wouldn't be too pushed about remapping a Mivec, sure there a bit softer than a VTEC but a well looked after Mivec will be reliable without the need for a remap.

You cant fail the NCT for not having a car mapped for Irish fuel either

No they were deff higher than that, my mivec was 200+ and i know a few others that were up around the 180 mark, (well less on irish fuel but not much) engine in them since leaving the factory, mine was tinkered with hence the 200bhp..

its not the mapping causing the nct fail im worried about, its the rings frying and burning oil and then failing.. trust me iv seen it happen so many mivecs, theres a reason their getting hard to find tested!!

Sorry, my figures may be a bit off, I just remember reading a lot about how MIVEC's especially the 1.6 variants constantly failed to achieve there factory bhp figure.

Are you quoting 180 as the factory figure or actual dyno figures achieved here in Ireland?

Which car did you have the Lancer or the Colt? What mods were on it? And where did you get it dyno'd? Its rare to see a 1.6 MIVEC get over 200 so interested in what it cost to get it to that

MIVEC's are like VTEC's they consume a bit of oil anyway, looking after them with regular oil changes and top ups and oil filter changes would be the thing to do, a remap wouldn't help with the maintenance of the rings in any major way.

Unfortunately the likes of MIVEC's and VTEC's are now so cheap that any young lad can get one, they usually just rag them and dont look after them which leads to oil seeping through the rings or engine failure due to running the car on low oil.

Sorry, my figures may be a bit off, I just remember reading a lot about how MIVEC's especially the 1.6 variants constantly failed to achieve there factory bhp figure.

Are you quoting 180 as the factory figure or actual dyno figures achieved here in Ireland?

Which car did you have the Lancer or the Colt? What mods were on it? And where did you get it dyno'd? Its rare to see a 1.6 MIVEC get over 200 so interested in what it cost to get it to that

MIVEC's are like VTEC's they consume a bit of oil anyway, looking after them with regular oil changes and top ups and oil filter changes would be the thing to do, a remap wouldn't help with the maintenance of the rings in any major way.

Unfortunately the likes of MIVEC's and VTEC's are now so cheap that any young lad can get one, they usually just rag them and dont look after them which leads to oil seeping through the rings or engine failure due to running the car on low oil.

Well there was a local galanza that was dyno'd at just over 200bhp, he was convinced that he could beat me.. but he didnt, close but no cigar :D even went for a few runs to be sure

she was a 97 colt, unfortunately everything was done to her in japan so never found out fully wat she had, all i know of was she had a full 3' HKS manifold back, HKS mushroom filter and serious electronic tinkering done. always said id look into it more but never got around to it.. she never passed NCT for me :( and whatever suspension setup was in it was the beat iv ever drove/sat in, comfortable like a standard car but cornered like a go kart! if this kicked on u it was all over

agree on the oil front only this was taking about a litre of oil every month, iv had a vtec and she took 1/4 of what the mivec took, if shes not mapped rite she could run lean, causing the rings to burn when in mivec

i was going to oz a few yrs back, sold the colt to a buddy hoping to come home and buy it back off him, told him how to take care of her and everything. he didnt listen and i came home to 1/4 of what she was :mad:
    drove her and she was dead as fuk, used to hit 190km/h at 6500rpm in 3rd (went on to 8500rpm) and always had the same power through 4th and 5th, no let up like some of the vtec civics do around the 125mp/h mark, when i got back from oz she wouldnt fill the clock into 5th, i gave up 1ce i hit 5th, we did what we could to bring her back but no go, needed a full rebuild, dyno'd her to see what she was and came up 156bhp :(

looking back i wish i bought the car back off him and rebuilt her cos she was the best car iv ever driven, iv been in DC5's that she would have hammered in her prime, iv driven STI's that are just boring, fast but no fun to get up there.. she even beat a honda 125cc!! anyone that knows their cars knows it takes a lot for a 1.6 non turbo to beat a bike in take off but i had him!! :eek:
    I bought her 5yrs ago and i still think of her as the best and iv never found a mivec the same :(

god this is like a love story!! anyone thinking of selling this to a film company cant, iv copyright!! ;)

My converted colt is running grand thank god. Replaced water pump all filters t-belt etc. Installed walbro fuel pump, cold air intake and tomorrow it's getting a straight through 2 1/4 inch exhaust. cant wait to hear the rasp then :) still debating whether to get it remapped, i've heard that if you put an evo 8 ecu in, and get it remapped, the mivec kicks slightly earlier and harder. If anyone could verify this that would be great. I'll be getting it dynoed in the next few weeks. still to upload pics, but im lazy when it comes to computers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

How's the insurance?

not too bad, was paying over 2k with quinn, after conversion switched to insure.ie and now paying 1800 :D

No point in buying Evo brakes for a Mivec Colt engine, the standard Mivec Colt brakes will be fine, its not like the Mivec eengine is going to be a 300bhp beast ;)

Some Colt Mivecs had LSD some didn't

Thats my next problem, i have ebc pads all round on it at the mo, stops grand but standard mivec discs have 114mm pitch between wheel nuts, mine has 100mm pitch. So i think im going to have to change hubs then get discs, calipers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Shane2000 wrote:
    not too bad, was paying over 2k with quinn, after conversion switched to insure.ie and now paying 1800

Did you declare it as a 1.6 Mivec Colt or a 1.3 Colt with an engine conversion? Did you have to get an engineers report or anything like that?

Well done on completing it btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Glad to hear all went well, have you any pics of the finished job to show off??

• Advertisement

its declared as a 1.3 with an engine conversion, mivec engine conversion. Yeah you need to go to a main dealer and get an engineer's report done then tax office and change the log book over.

Yeah i keep saying ill put up pics ha, ill take some tonight after i give it a wash, covered in dirt at the mo'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement