Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Probably not the right thred so move it somewhere more appropriate if you want to miss, thanks. I have a pedigree Simmental cow that repeated a few times. Served again yesterday and the ai man said that she is a bit dirty. What do you do in this case? Get the vet to wash out? Or a jab of something? Could do with her going incalf shortly as she's lost time already and I should have took action sooner.

Metricure maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

tanko wrote: »
    Has anyone used the Dovea CH bull Bivouac CH2218, any opinions on him?

My ai man reckons he is leaving lovely stock. I considered using him but I just didn’t really like the look of him. Allot of calves registered to him so he’s obviously very popular. Think he might suit a shapely cow better than a plain cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Short gestation very easy calving not as shapy as fiston (but he is an exception)
    Growthy calves though. Works well on my cows they wouldn't be as well bred as yours Tanko.Have bought 40 straws for this year if that tells you anything
    A short gestation beef bull would be a good option
    What type cow does he suit best?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Has anyone used the Dovea CH bull Bivouac CH2218, any opinions on him?

His figures are savage. Bottom 2% of the breed for calving at 4.3% and yet top 3% for carcass weight. That's just unbelievable.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Anybody have Liseron and Lapon calves, have a Liseron heifer here a week old, nice calf. Used Fiston last year on same cow, resulting in nice shapely heifer but I think Liseron would be a better bull to keep a replacement off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

Should be ideal at this stage. Is she not more like 500kgs?
    Whats her breeding?

Sired by cloughhead umpire and ondit on dam side.

Could b closer to 480 alright small bit bellish but has grown well last 4 mths.

Any recommendations for a easy calving lm for ped

adne wrote: »
    Sired by cloughhead umpire and ondit on dam side.

Could b closer to 480 alright small bit bellish but has grown well last 4 mths.

Any recommendations for a easy calving lm for ped

How about Lodge Hamlet? Reasonable at €22.
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/LODGE-HAMLET

I have one calf here by him . A bull and born very small.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭adne

How about Lodge Hamlet? Reasonable at €22.
    https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/LODGE-HAMLET

I have one calf here by him . A bull and born very small.

Cheers Patsy. Looks ideal for her n not an expensive choice

adne wrote: »
    Cheers Patsy. Looks ideal for her n not an expensive choice

Ring your AI in advance as I think he's preorder, so that's €22 plus €25 for the call out. That's with Munster AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

His figures are savage. Bottom 2% of the breed for calving at 4.3% and yet top 3% for carcass weight. That's just unbelievable.

Have used him this year on ped heifers and looking forward to what he produces. The great thing is he is a proven bull in France and doing the business and not a star in the sky one season wonder and price was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭sonnybill

For a good hard calving,big framed limo that Has good replacement/ milk for a Mature cow that you’d like to keep a heifer out of ? Cross Liam or tomschoice ironstone? Or what is the alternatives

Have used him this year on ped heifers and looking forward to what he produces. The great thing is he is a proven bull in France and doing the business and not a star in the sky one season wonder and price was good.

He’s a son of Pinay who has consistently kept high stars
    Think someone has a bull off Pinay & were impressed with the offspring.

Can you let us know how the heifers get on

Anyone here ever deal with World Wide Sires in Cork? Any feedback on them?

http://wwsireland.com/store/about_us/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone here ever deal with World Wide Sires in Cork? Any feedback on them?

http://wwsireland.com/store/about_us/

Are you buying some Jaegerbomb? :D

Are you buying some Jaegerbomb? :D

:D Ya, might get a good deal on them now. It was Vagabond (S1046) I was kinda interest in. Not that I don't have enough straws already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭tanko

He’s a son of Pinay who has consistently kept high stars
    Think someone has a bull off Pinay & were impressed with the offspring.

Can you let us know how the heifers get on

A neighbour of mine had a bull off Pinay for seven years up until two years ago, was easy calved on mostly Saler cows and did very well for him, bred nice stuff that sold very well. The only fault with some of his calves was that if he was used on a leggy cow lacking muscle the calf might be a bit leggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Do u ever see 2 similar weight and breed of cattle go vastly different prices? On a 400 kg calf there could be 200 or 300 in it,

sonnybill wrote: »
    For a good hard calving,big framed limo that Has good replacement/ milk for a Mature cow that you’d like to keep a heifer out of ? Cross Liam or tomschoice ironstone? Or what is the alternatives

Cross Liam looks good but completely unproven yet. KJB is off Ronick Hawk also and breeds lovely cows i think but his very long gestation is a joke and some of his calves being small can arise with him.
    If your cow was medium sized i'd say Mereside Favori FZF, he's the best Lim bull to breed cows ive used, super length, power and calving ability to them. He lacks a bit of milk tho and will increase size also. He's not easy calved but not as hard as ICBF are giving him.
    Excel and Loyal from Bova would be good too.
    Ironstone looks good, i know the docility figures arent always accurate but his is bad i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

sonnybill wrote: »

Try Glorieux (XGL) good limo bull. Iv had good calves from him and he's off a very good milky cow himself.

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Try Glorieux (XGL) good limo bull. Iv had good calves from him and he's off a very good milky cow himself.

I've a purebred heifer here by XGL. Really like the shape he brings in the hips, very square and open. Great docility too. I used him to bring size into a few small cows I have. 2 more cows due to him in coming weeks too.

• Advertisement

XGL heifer. Still on the cow.

Came across these today. Never seen the site before. Competition for semenstore.
    https://www.uksiresdirect.com/en/shop/products/beef/limousin

Came across these today. Never seen the site before. Competition for semenstore.
    https://www.uksiresdirect.com/en/shop/products/beef/limousin

Like the Major/Domino Charolais bull

Anyone calf ZAG heifers? ICBF have him in the bottom 1% now for maternal calving.

Anyone calf ZAG heifers? ICBF have him in the bottom 1% now for maternal calving.

I noticed that alrite, calved two of them here this year. One with a good square end calved a Highfield Odran bull no bother.
    The other one is very shapey and muscley, more of a U grade heifer, had to give her a bit of help calving a Spiddal Pat heifer. She never opened up properly. She was a bit fat also.
    All things considered i wouldnt think ZAG is the best bull to breed replacements off.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Calved 3 heifers this year, two have milk and other one is struggling. No problem calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Lol, I said that would happen years ago. Can't have your cake and eat it etc. You'd wonder how many good bulls figures were ruined by been used on Heifers like this too.

Lol, I said that would happen years ago. Can't have your cake and eat it etc. You'd wonder how many good bulls figures were ruined by been used on Heifers like this too.

I have a PB Zag heifer here but my gut feeling is she will be OK for calving as she is sufficient wide and the cow is exceptionally wide.
    He doesn't seem to be as bad as the simmental APZ for maternal calving, but not far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I have a PB Zag heifer here but my gut feeling is she will be OK for calving as she is sufficient wide and the cow is exceptionally wide.
    He doesn't seem to be as bad as the simmental APZ for maternal calving, but not far behind.

If she came from a good framed cow should be no issue. But these lads going down the %3 easy calving for years and retaining females are breeding themselves into a herd of APZ's and it's the bulls used on them that will get the blame.

• Advertisement

If she came from a good framed cow should be no issue. But these lads going down the %3 easy calving for years and retaining females are breeding themselves into a herd of APZ's and it's the bulls used on them that will get the blame.

Even the mighty LM2014 is looking like turning out like that too. He's in the bottom 5% on daughters calving, (reliability is low - 51%).

There are certain bulls though that buck the trend. On-dit is 5% calving, which is average, yet only 3% for daughters calving, which is in the top1% of the breed. So, there are bulls oiut there where you can have the best of both worlds.

Advertisement