Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodshavings (general woodworking chat thread)

Comments

It was too cold In the shed yday to pour some epoxy. So I brought the table into the house, infront of the stove and poured away.

Ah Mickey, that was mother nature telling you epoxy tables are an abomination! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ah Mickey, that was mother nature telling you epoxy tables are an abomination! :D

Not a full pour. Few checks & cracks in the centre. The cat was overseeing things. :D

Not a full pour. Few checks & cracks in the centre. The cat was overseeing things. :D

Ah, a pond table. Not a river table. Mother nature says you get a pass for the new year so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What timber is that, Walnut, Elm?

What timber is that, Walnut, Elm?

Walnut. It’s nice stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Walnut. It’s nice stuff.

Yes and scarce, looks good, what finish will you use

Yes and scarce, looks good, what finish will you use

There’s a man up the road from me selling slabs. It’ll be a simple finish, beeswax. Nothing out of the way or in your face. I’ve a good few hours sanding ahead of me. :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my mother's friend who lives in cavan recently had a tree felled, and it's still there. it's an elm, but i'm surprised this wasn't (seemingly - i'm getting all this secondhand) remarked on by the tree surgeons she paid a lot of money to, to fell it. apparently i have an open invitation to go up and take as much as i want when restrictions lift, but i only have a 16 inch bar on the chainsaw and do not have the skills to tackle it. especially something as hard as elm.

could be a wych elm for all i know.

my mother's friend who lives in cavan recently had a tree felled, and it's still there. it's an elm, but i'm surprised this wasn't (seemingly - i'm getting all this secondhand) remarked on by the tree surgeons she paid a lot of money to, to fell it. apparently i have an open invitation to go up and take as much as i want when restrictions lift, but i only have a 16 inch bar on the chainsaw and do not have the skills to tackle it. especially something as hard as elm.

What sort of diameter are we talking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am waiting to hear. my mother is hesitant to chase her for details, it has been a tough year for the woman (we're talking way worse than covid territory).

• Advertisement

i am waiting to hear. my mother is hesitant to chase her for details, it has been a tough year for the woman (we're talking way worse than covid territory).

Well, if it was me, I’d be weighing up the cost of getting it milled versus trying to source and buy Elm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Without doubt, Wych Elm is the most beautiful of all timbers. Even Yew.

It has a strikingly beautiful grain, showing green and yellow and red streaks.
    I turned an awful lot of it years ago, and its my favourite.

I remember 40+ years ago when I was a nipper, I was offered an elm to take away. All I had to do was fell it. Off i went with my trusty 20" Echo ( which was a ringing b...stard to start) sharpened chain, and my dad.

We found the location off in the boonies, across afew fields, and found the tree.A towering 15'+ straight butt, and way bigger than my saw could handle , probably 30+" if i recall correctly. Anyway, started the saw and started to cut. Took a short wedge on the face of the tree, checked for a safe escape
    route, and started the back cut, saw started to bog down abit which I couldn't figure out. Next thing I knew, I was yanked back so hard I never knew what was happening, and then i heard the tree crash down, where it was supposed to go:eek:.

I was laying backwards in the ditch. My dad had thought the tree was going, and he grabbed me by the scruff of the neck to pull me out of the way, and into the ditch. The tree fell where i wanted it, and there was no danger, so I laughed at it afterwards.

And the saw bogging down was caused by about 45 gallons of honey that was in the tree centre, that flowed out at the bottom:D

Found a good deal on a TS55 REBQ-Plus-FS kit today, for €550 including VAT. So I did what I've mentioned doing before, I bought it, came home from work this evening and advertised my 6 year old one for €475 and sold it in under an hour. €75 'spend' after 6 years leaves me again with a brand new saw with 3 years warranty, a new blade and a new guide rail. I wasn't looking, but I keep an eye out now and then, usually at the end of January each year and at the end of each quarter during the year for specials and sales campaigns.

While I was working that out I noticed the second generation CTL Midi I (which I have) was reduced to €465 including VAT, so I picked up one of those too. I'll gladly replace my bargain find CTL-SYS with that one and shouldn't be unreasonably out of pocket for the difference when I consider the extra capacity, the bluetooth switching and the fact I can just keep one type of bag and filter in spares now.

I'm saving the guts of 500 a month since March on commuting costs, so I'm still scratching around for a few deals while I have a few quid to spare before things hopefully get back to normal. If anyone's looking for a good price on power tools you really should be looking to Germany via eBay or Amazon and putting in the search terms in German. Use Google translate to help you find the right words.

Good deals on Festool track saws are like the old 75 bus route in Dublin. You'd wait ages and ages, then 2 come along almost at the same time.

541824.jpeg

Festool authorised dealer, campaign pricing at €599 including VAT with fast charger and two 5.2a Bluetooth batteries, systainer etc. No track but I have enough of those already.

And as if I wasn't delighted with that, I realised the TS55 referenced in the last post didn't cost me €550. It cost me €499. I was nearly squint eyed by the time I'd finished searching and comparing, but went to register warranties and spotted my happy mistake.

I know that's a good whack to lay out on saws and I don't take that for granted, but back to that same old tale now, I could use these for 3-5 years and will almost certainly get back what I paid for them. Corrected for my error, I paid €24 to swap a 6 year old saw for a brand new one with warranty. Where else would you be able to do that? These fellas with their Rolex watch investments are at a mugs game by comparison! :D

had a little helper in the shed this evening.

548296.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Brand new Trend chamfer bit gave up on me today, gouged a lump out of the piece of walnut for a sideboard I was working on. Looks like the threads were stripped on the 3mm grub screw, which went flying across the room; still haven't found the bearing. Re-cut the four panels down 20mm, did the chamfer with the table saw instead..

Bit was part of a set of 8 or so bits for about €70-ish, I know its not big money compared to higher end bits (I'm a filthy casual-hard to justify 40-50 plus per bit..), but am I wrong to have expected more? I nipped up all the bits with bearings back when I got the kit as well..

wcCQIkUl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

That's shïte. I don't think your expectations were too high. I've an even cheaper set, and I'd expect them to work. Might check any with bearings tomorrow, though...

Could be just a case of it being doa and getting passed QC.

Glad you were able to salvage the timber.

Chinese crap. That's annoying for sure, and it's not like they cost Aliexpress prices, but the quality is no different. They're rubbish.

I was looking at some Trend router bits last week myself. Disgusted to see what was once a great brand also put their name in the toilet and hit the flush handle.

Their Pro grade cutters costs a packet. The lower priced Craft line stuff is just flogging junk with their name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Lesson learned today-just buy decent ones as the need arises instead of sets.

• Advertisement

have only rarely turned yew, and it's quite different from a lot of other woods.
    i sanded up to 600 grit on a shallow bowl last night, and applied some BLO, and you can see patterns in how the sandpaperran up against the wood.
    i used a sanding disc on a drill, because i'd have been sanding air otherwise, but didn't think i'd need to be *that* consistent with the direction i sanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Sorry to throw a question into the middle of this thread, didn’t want to c4ate one just for this. I’m finding it hard to find some ultra fine sandpaper, up to 600 grit or higher. It’s to finish some sample chessboards, has anyone got any ideas where I may find some in store or to order online, from an Irish business preferably.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

600 grit or higher. Quin-lok in kilbeggan. Not sure if they are online.

Any motor factor will have paper up to 3000 grit.

What material are you sanding.

Where are you based? There's a chap in d11 runs a wooddturning supply place I've bought rolls of 600 grit from before. It's backed so as to be compatible with velcro systems, but he may do plain sheets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

kadman wrote: »
    600 grit or higher. Quin-lok in kilbeggan. Not sure if they are online.

Any motor factor will have paper up to 3000 grit.

What material are you sanding.

Testing some different combinations, oak, Scandinavian pine, cherry, mahogany, cedar. Kilbeggan isn’t too far, might try them out. Thanks.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Of course when you are using 600+ grit papers, you are not really sanding just polishing.

You probably know that your items need to be blemish free before you get into superfine papers.
    600+ grits will not polish out visual scratches ect.
    Its just for polishing to a higher gloss.
    For fine paper polishing, your timber choices need to be dense materials.

Mahogany and oak will finish well, softer materials like cedar and pine are too soft to get a paper polished sheen.
    k.

Plenty of vids on youtube about polishing wood with sandpaper.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=polishing+wood+with+sandpaper#kpvalbx=_rQJwYLD8LY2egQbJ_ZmgCw18

I first learnt about sandpaper polishing at the age of 14 when I spent my 3 months summer holidays working
    for 2 master cabinetmakers in Dromina in Cork.Father and son. Father was 80+ years and had me hand polishing 2
    chairs for the alter in the local church. I spent days with all types of paper and cabinet scrapers.

When it was finished, it looked like it had been finished in many coats of french polish, even before it was.
    At 14...I thought it was magic.......and gerry's dad just smiled. He knew he had given me something I would never forget.
    Which he had..

K.

i've been given a fair heft of a slab of decades old elm burr. worms have gotten to it, but thankfully so far the good parts aren't too bad. i'm bringing it to someone more experienced than i to help with figuring out how to carve it up, it's like a reverse jigsaw puzzle doing this where you can't see a lot of the puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i've been given a fair heft of a slab of decades old elm burr. worms have gotten to it, but thankfully so far the good parts aren't too bad. i'm bringing it to someone more experienced than i to help with figuring out how to carve it up, it's like a reverse jigsaw puzzle doing this where you can't see a lot of the puzzle.

fill the holes with resin would be pritty cool

• Advertisement

yep, two of our chapter do a lot of work with resin, this will probably end up being split between a few turners.
    three elm pieces, but the fourth piece on the right is probably cedar. which has deep bark inclusions.

these were taken down by someone twenty or so years ago who was *not* a turner, so some of the overshot chainsaw cuts are shall we say, unfortunate.
    plus the pith was left in the two smaller elm pieces so they're checked (one quite badly)

550282.jpg

Advertisement