Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Every whole blessed fecker is going camping this year!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've usually only camped when there was music involved: 13 Electric Picnics, 2 Liss Ards, and an Oxegen. Does that count?

And in sixth class in Primary school, our teacher brought us camping in Sligo for some reason (dropping in to Knock on the way home to Kildare).

There was also one drunken night on Inishmore in the late 90s, I think. That was grand but I'd never really consider just going somewhere to camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

HBC08 wrote: »
    I mean really....
    There should be a separate area for these degenerates.

Santa del sh1thole?

Electric Picnic?

For years me and my group of chums were the only ones into it.........

The only thing worse than bandwagon-jumpers is those who look to gatekeep stuff for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Started 6 years ago when eldest started walking amd thought that the first 2 years were a lot easier and cheaper to book pitches etc. 4 years ago busier and a massive explosion in popularity 3 years ago.
    Its enjoyable but if it weren't for the kids i dont think id go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Started 6 years ago when eldest started walking amd thought that the first 2 years were a lot easier and cheaper to book pitches etc. 4 years ago busier and a massive explosion in popularity 3 years ago.
    Its enjoyable but if it weren't for the kids i dont think id go.

I see a few people camping during the covid - fancy cars, high cost gear - my first thought was camping AWAY from their wives & children!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BobMc

find the facilities at the actual pitch limited here. Camped tons as late teens early 20s in Ontario, its great camping, Provincial state parks with each pitch has parking for usually 2 cars, an area for tent pitching, picnic table, fire pits and an, next pitch might be 50 metres away or more, some might be bit tighter but usually good seperation with natural foiliage or trees, not up on top of you, patrolled too day and night by rangers so no OTT messing

Charcoal stand BBQ, usually in fantastic forest or riverside or lakeside,

here its field with tents and a shower block

I'll pass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The only thing worse than bandwagon-jumpers is those who look to gatekeep stuff for themselves.

Just as well I wasn't doing that so

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭global23214124

Went camping for music festivals in Ireland and Belgium. Our tent in Oxegen got flooded the first night so we all had to cramp into another tent. Found it impossible to get to sleep for long in any shape of tent so dont think it's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

biko wrote: »
    It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.

Do they, is it not the case that before people go camping that they'd buy their provisions in their own locality and have no need to when they end up in their destination?
    I've heard that complaint levelled against people in camper vans.

Do they, is it not the case that before people go camping that they'd buy their provisions in their own locality and have no need to when they end up in their destination?
    I've heard that complaint levelled against people in camper vans.

They say that about Germans who bring their camper to places like Iceland that are ferociously expensive to buy food in. I cant imagine many travelling within Ireland would bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Before kids I used to surf almost every weekend, to the point my parents rang me to check if I was alive they hadn't seen me in weeks. Between car camping and a camper van I've hit so many beaches had a fantastic time and just chilled out. Ireland is the bizz for this if you do it right.

Taking the kids tent camping for the first time in the hills this weekend with another kids and their Dad. I'm expecting careenage and mayhem but hopefully they will enjoy it. I want them to enjoy it but not to much so that they want to do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

BobMc wrote: »
    find the facilities at the actual pitch limited here. Camped tons as late teens early 20s in Ontario, its great camping, Provincial state parks with each pitch has parking for usually 2 cars, an area for tent pitching, picnic table, fire pits and an, next pitch might be 50 metres away or more, some might be bit tighter but usually good seperation with natural foiliage or trees, not up on top of you, patrolled too day and night by rangers so no OTT messing

Charcoal stand BBQ, usually in fantastic forest or riverside or lakeside,

here its field with tents and a shower block

I'll pass

I live in Ontario and go camping all summer. Have "advanced" from tent, to pop tent trailer to a new trailer this year (which I am still waiting to pick up).
    Camping is second nature though. Great sites, deep in the woods and on lakes with lots of facilities and decent weather.
    Ireland in the wind and pissing rain, I'm not so sure...but there is a lovely trailer site out in Roundstone which is a beauty spot.
    Also, went to France on a kind of packaged camping holiday as a kid. Had these "tents" that were more like cabins with three rooms. Decent set up

They say that about Germans who bring their camper to places like Iceland that are ferociously expensive to buy food in. I cant imagine many travelling within Ireland would bother

Germans bringing Camper vans to Iceland???

Germans bringing Camper vans to Iceland???

Yep. They go to Lidl and load the thing up with food till the flaps are scraping the road and cruise up to Denmark to board the MS Norrona.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

Love camping especially wild camping. We are considering going camping down the fields here over summer. Don’t think I’d be bothered with a proper campsite in ireland anyway. Although the one in Cahirciveen is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭downtheroad

pgj2015 wrote: »
    It's a sense of freedom you don't get with other holidays.

It's a sense of ****ting in a bucket in a cupboard you don't get with other holidays... in England... with your parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Celmullet

My father would take us camping a lot growing up. I detested it then and detest it now. I'll take my hotel room with hot water and a functioning toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A place in Mayo was advertising camping pitches, they have a water tap nothing else no electricity or a hard stand but was what was making me laugh was you have to bring your own portable loo, imagine bringing a portable loo along with a tent and then having to bring it home with you to dispose of its contents.

I bet you it's booked out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

Wild camping up the mountains with the lads. Plenty of drink and smokage. Permission is generally granted as the other halves know there's no women up there to be chasing, unlike other lads weekends. And they stay home too as there's nowhere to plug anything in.

We go camping at Silverstone too for the motogp. Power in the tent, heating, mini fridge, shower and toilet blocks, entertainment, its like a 5 star hotel compared to the side of a mountain.

Yep. They go to Lidl and load the thing up with food till the flaps are scraping the road and cruise up to Denmark to board the MS Norrona.

Ah cool. Never knew about that. Might be a trip to consider some day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mariaalice wrote: »
    A place in Mayo was advertising camping pitches, they have a water tap nothing else no electricity or a hard stand but was what was making me laugh was you have to bring your own portable loo, imagine bringing a portable loo along with a tent and then having to bring it home with you to dispose of its contents.

I bet you it's booked out as well.

I bet this half arsed campsite isn't cheap either.
    Trust Paddy to ride the hole off a money making opportunity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We live in North County Dublin...local beach towns here are overrun with camper vans since the 5km lifted.There are a large number of visitors, compared to the usual.Parking in public parking on the side of the street.Beaches are very crowded on the weekends now.
    Camping holds absolutely no appeal for me but I can see plenty of people are obviously getting in to it this year.

Hmm, I love sharing a tiny dwelling with billions of spiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, not for me... did it as a kid multiple times with the scouts and with my friends too and never saw any appeal... didn’t enjoy it all that much...weather didn’t help.

The only work and inconvenience that should be involved in a holiday is packing your case...

Enough stresses and inconvenience in life that when it’s time to go on holiday I’m insisting on comfort, luxury, that I’m brought there, brought back and with minimum effort, that somebody else cooks my food, serves my drinks and makes my bed....I can shower and piss without using a river / hole in ground.

I’d stay at home before camping....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's a sense of ****ting in a bucket in a cupboard you don't get with other holidays... in England... with your parents!

Its just funny how you never get any girls around here, yet away on caravan club, you are like some sort of Gypsy Russell Brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

New tent arriving between 10.21 and 11.21 according to DPD text. Yippee!

Ah cool. Never knew about that. Might be a trip to consider some day

Not a bad idea I was often tempted myself but it was always too expensive. The fare has come down a bit recently I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

One person has mentioned going camping in France as a kid, but has anyone else in the last few years? Or maybe Italy?

I could possibly be swayed to consider trying camping again if it were somewhere with decent weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Camping and Ireland does not compute for me, pouring rain and getting eaten alive by midges, no thanks. A campervan would give you more freedom but then your cooped up inside most of the day in it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

One person has mentioned going camping in France as a kid, but has anyone else in the last few years? Or maybe Italy?

I could possibly be swayed to consider trying camping again if it were somewhere with decent weather

We ended up in a campsite ‘motel’ kind of by accident - we had nothing booked & in the height of summer couldn’t get a hotel room anywhere. Turns out the signs for the Motel on the motorway were for motels in a campsite - little private secluded landscaped 3 bed cabins with kitchen, fridge, outside covered decking with table, in a forest with SWIMMING POOL, twnnis courts, shops, bars m, restaurants and a reception that would deliver a caraffe of wine to your door if you rang them! Brilliant. And 28’C heat. LOVED IT wherever it was. Somewhere on a motorway between Aix en Provence and Paris!!!

The french really do camping in chic style!
    I’d highly recommend!!

Advertisement