Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MENS: 'Mental' Health..

• 10-06-2021 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Yes it gets talked about a-lot and yes that's fine. But now lots of women calling us out and speaking about Men's/our thought process. Like we Just don't like Jibba-jabberin so leave us alone. Women are just as 'mental' as men!? :o there I said it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

76564825.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

But now lots of women calling us out and speaking about Men's/our thought process.

Do you have any examples?

McGaggs wrote: »

83823259f9e03810493924a6e1194ff8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Like I just realised how easy women have it.. for the first time in my life I have an appointment for d barbers...yes I don't have to wait. All I have to do is turn up at a given time..no looking in d door and seeing 4 big heads a hair fellas waiting and me saying ahhh I'll be back later and heading round to Lidl or sumtin.. The luxury of it.

Yes on some afternoon show yesterday(I've already said to much)

• Advertisement

Sounds like some kind of phobia unnecessarily brought about. Next they’ll try and push an afrodisiac on you to calm the nerves. Needless to say don’t buy it…

Bobblehats wrote: »
    83823259f9e03810493924a6e1194ff8.gif

Ok, just have a nice glass of milk instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well there's your first mistake. Daytime telly. Principly aimed at a particular subset of suburban housewives slowly coalescing into their couch having a whinge, while talking about feature cushions, "spaces" and fancy cookery they'll attempt the once before the local poison unit is alerted. The witterings of their onscreen ringmasters can be comfortably ignored. If you find yourself bothered by such things, fry up a blue steak, with beer, fart loudly and often and watch reruns of classic Top Gear on youtube. Sorted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't know what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

17f.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ok, just have a nice glass of milk instead.

I'd be careful about that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reading this thread affected my mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Listen mate, you just take that pain, fear and angst and you push it deep, deep down, periodically releasing a jet of rage from that internal pressure cooker at sports teams, ****e drivers or when you've had a skin-full down the pub. Then listen to everyone else tell you how bad they've got it and blame you for the worlds problems, then die prematurely from heart disease or something..

Like a man !!

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Listen mate, you just take that pain, fear and angst and you push it deep, deep down, periodically releasing a jet of rage from that internal pressure cooker at sports teams, ****e drivers or when you've had a skin-full down the pub. Then listen to everyone else tell you how bad they've got it and blame you for the worlds problems, then die prematurely from heart disease or something..

Like a man !!

Well I rather get furious with one driver..
    Than constantly and relentlessly just be kinda angry with all drivers. I noticed that the womans wont let me out at junctions,but the Mans mainly let me out at junctions... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

On a serious note, men's mental health does NOT get talked about a lot. We are starting to hear more about it lately alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

py2006 wrote: »
    On a serious note, men's mental health does NOT get talked about a lot. We are starting to hear more about it lately alright.

Funny thing is that people might agree that men's mental health is important and ought to be talked about as a serious aspect of men's health, but they will also scorne any man with a public profile who actually cares enough to talk about it publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Funny thing is that people might agree that men's mental health is important and ought to be talked about as a serious aspect of men's health, but they will also scorne any man with a public profile who actually cares enough to talk about it publicly.

I don't know it seems like lots of famous men have mental health issues now and are lauded for it, Prince Harry etc.
    Also "Mental Health" is now used by people who are inconvenienced somewhat, we saw a lot of it during covid - my mental health is suffering because I can't play golf, go to the pub, or go to the beach, that one seemed to be a popular one around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I found Alastair Campbell's (Tony Blair spin doctor) BBC documentary about his life-long battle with depression quite moving. Very humanizing because he came across as a complete thunderc*nt in his career and the worst type of grubby political operative - though his openness about his depression filled in the blanks a lot as to why he was the way he was.

Yurt! wrote: »
    I found Alastair Campbell's (Tony Blair spin doctor) BBC documentary about his life-long battle with depression quite moving. Very humanizing because he came across as a complete thunderc*nt in his career and the worst type of grubby political operative - though his openness about his depression filled in the blanks a lot as to why he was the way he was.

John prescott had the eating disorder bulimia afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Blaaz_ wrote: »
    John prescott had the eating disorder bulimia afaik

He also had a mean left short jab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,761 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem too is that there is a cohort that now see mental health, it’s growing importance in society and use it to excuse poor decisions and behaviors...

Somebody robs a car... “ well sorry but I haven’t been feeling myself *sad face * I’m very sorry I wrecked their Ford “

“ ok, you go home and look after yourself and be good, probation act “

Victims up an hour earlier to go to work, school etc on public transport, their mental health is never considered.

Like I just realised how easy women have it.. for the first time in my life I have an appointment for d barbers...yes I don't have to wait. All I have to do is turn up at a given time..no looking in d door and seeing 4 big heads a hair fellas waiting and me saying ahhh I'll be back later and heading round to Lidl or sumtin.. The luxury of it.

I hope members might learn from my woes and rash decision.

The day barbers opened after the lock down, beng a bit dishevelled , in traffic I passed by two barbers.
    One had a queue, one with none. I rang the one with no queue and was told "sure drop in".
    So I did.

Big mistake.
    Boy did my mental health suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Like we Just don't like Jibba-jabberin so leave us alone. .

Some of you seem to enjoy it a lot on here. ;)

Im kidding.
    prove me wrong though

This is a serious note/post.. just didn't want to be lambasted for my honesty!? The words mental health, depression etc are being used much to willy-nilly and at the drop of a hat lately, especially about us MEN.. C'mon guys admit it anyone at all who has the confidence or stage to talk about anything 'private' is calling themselves depressed presently or in the past.. my biggest gripe is with 'heavy' drinkers blaming depression or some mental illnes,.. we're all bloody depressed then but only drunks drink about it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

This would be along my lines of thinking, especially when someone in the public eye speaks openly about it. And IMO the reason it gets so much attention is to let fellas know it is ok to talk about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also "Mental Health" is now used by people who are inconvenienced somewhat, we saw a lot of it during covid - my mental health is suffering because I can't play golf, go to the pub, or go to the beach, that one seemed to be a popular one around these parts.
    This. It can be increasingly difficult to tease out those like the aforementioned Alastair Campbell's genuine struggles and those quite simply having a whinge, often, if not usually for attention, or simply to fit in. This goes triple for "celebrities".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. It can be increasingly difficult to tease out those like the aforementioned Alastair Campbell's genuine struggles and those quite simply having a whinge, often, if not usually for attention, or simply to fit in. This goes triple for "celebrities".

Yeah but how do you, personally, tell the difference between the two? Why is it your job to distinguish between them?

I think it's always hard to tell the difference between mild and acute, particularly when you've only experienced one and not the other. Take migraines as an example. My dad, sister and wife suffer/ed with migraines occasionally. If you've ever seen someone with a migraine then you'll know it's nothing like a headache. But when you describe a migraine it can sound a lot like a headache in so far as the primary symptom of both is a pain in the head. Someone who has a bad headache might think they have a migraine but they don't.

A friend was having a genuine relationship drama and we were chatting with him about it. One of the lads (a bit younger and at the stage of life where he was more interested in playing the field than having a girlfriend) said he totally understood. He went on to explain his own situation which boiled down to having a fcuk-buddy arrangement with 2 women who were friends, one of whom had feeling for him and he didn't want her to be cross that he was banging her friend too...

What I took from that situation was that I envied his naivety at thinking his situation was comparable to the other guy who was involved in a marriage breakup. Likewise, I really hope i never experience an actual migraine, and I hope the blokes who are feeling a bit down and call it depression, never experience a full on bout of depression or any other mental illness. But i don't think it's my job to discern the degree to which a bloke (celebrity or not) on the radio is experiencing a diagnosable bout of mental illness or just feeling a bit down - there are professionals to do that.

A lot of the milder mental health issues like being depressed, listless, low self esteem etc. are largely down to framing how you see the world. There was someone coined a phrase "basket case theory" with the basic premise that people view most strangers as being perfect examples of people that have their sh1t together yet if they actually got to know them very well their flaws would be exposed and they would just be as crazy as they think they are themselves

Another angle to framing is sorta assuming everyone is better /more skilled etc. yet statistically everyone on the planet has 0% skills, take someone like Tiger Woods, best golfer in the world but most people here are better drivers and for men better husbands. I think a basic strategy in life is having some things however small that you have control over, so it could be things like diet, fitness, how you dress even.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    A lot of the milder mental health issues like being depressed, listless, low self esteem etc. are largely down to framing how you see the world. There was someone coined a phrase "basket case theory" with the basic premise that people view most strangers as being perfect examples of people that have their sh1t together yet if they actually got to know them very well their flaws would be exposed and they would just be as crazy as they think they are themselves

Another angle to framing is sorta assuming everyone is better /more skilled etc. yet statistically everyone on the planet has 0% skills, take someone like Tiger Woods, best golfer in the world but most people here are better drivers and for men better husbands. I think a basic strategy in life is having some things however small that you have control over, so it could be things like diet, fitness, how you dress even.

Classing depression as "milder mental health issue" kinda sums up why there should be more, good quality, open discussion of mental health/ill health.

• Advertisement

Classing depression as "milder mental health issue" kinda sums up why there should be more, good quality, open discussion of mental health/ill health.

I specifically said being depressed not debilitating depression that forces people off work etc. I phrased it specifically but you chose to ignore it

Advertisement