Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Every whole blessed fecker is going camping this year!

• 08-06-2021 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

For years me and my group of chums were the only ones into it. I used to ask colleagues would they join us and they nearly always turned up their noses, opting for a jaunt to the Algarve over the traditional and obsolete Irish holiday. Most had terrible memories of being dragged on a mandatory camping holiday by their parents as children, failed attempts at pitching tents, weeks of incessant rain and misery, bad food and overpriced Irish seaside towns.

Now all that is old is new again.

Tents flying out the door, Hymers on every road, Burstners stuck down every boreen, caravans that were only fit for the knacker's yard being nursed back to life, price of "no camping" signs gone up through the roof, retirees patrolling every strip of communal grass for wild campers. Still I think it's great that people's interest in camping has been revived. I just hope it's not short lived and that people will revert to how they were before covid arrived.

Going camping this year? 139 votes

Yes
    59% 83 votes
    No
    11% 16 votes
    Already been.
    28% 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It's a sense of freedom you don't get with other holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Always preferred camping over "sun" holidays. It's a great way to unwind and remove yourself from the tech laden normality of our lives. And I'm a fan of tech, but it's nice to head off camping and disconnect every now and then, even for just 1 day/night. Pro tip: roll your joints before going incase the weather is crap, fierce hard to roll in windy conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

not me anyway!

hate camping. hate everything about it.

I was in scouts when I was younger and camped a lot. Used to love it. But not as an adult I don't.

The last time I went camping was about 6years ago, I woke up to a tent filled with water and a half deflated blow up bed. never again!

the bugs..not being able to wash properly..the lack of walls around me to protect me if anything tries to get me..

The only way i'll ever go camping again is in a camper van. the rest of the family can be adventurous and pitch tents outside and see if they survive the night. I'll be locking myself in the camper van for a half decent nights sleep. with access to the kettle when I can't sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The only way i'll ever go camping again is in a camper van. the rest of the family can be adventurous and pitch tents outside and see if they survive the night. I'll be locking myself in the camper van for a half decent nights sleep. with access to the kettle when I can't sleep

You sound like a young Edmund Hillary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There will be a glut of camper vans next year once full travel is back on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Pro tip: roll your joints before going incase the weather is crap, fierce hard to roll in windy conditions!

Pros pros tip; zip up your tent door

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hoboo wrote: »
    Pros pros tip; zip up your tent door

Ah that makes shouting at the lad in the other tent (if you have company, recommended) that bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not appealing in this country.
    Waking up freezing.
    Crap weather.
    No facilities, crapping behind a bush.
    Screw all that.

Too many large insects and you’ve ****e in a hole. Nah.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Self catering for me anyways. Have a week booked in Cork in July and need to have bits and pieces for the kids to do so not taking any risk with the Irish weather :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

There will be a glut of camper vans next year once full travel is back on
    'They' said that last year. They'll be right this time, though, with everything opening up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have never spent a night camping in my life, and I don't intend to start now. I have only two requirements when I go on holiday - a bed and non-communal indoor plumbing. After that it's just a case of what else I'm willing to pay for. I'd actually rather stay at home than go on a camping holiday. Which is probably good news for those who like camping as they wouldn't have to listen to me constantly moaning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've never done it

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I used to love it here just as in got older I couldn't handle the **** weather and sudden influx of Lidl/Halfords campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

biko wrote: »
    It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.

That's only if you go camping locally.

Most people like to travel a bit further afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We have a group of about 5 families now who have given each other access to each others gardens for the summer to pitch you tent.
    Also a couple of us swapping our whole houses.

Last weekend we had friends from Clare camping in our garden in Dublin with their 2 kids.
    Other friends from Donegal coming this weekend. They can all use the BBQ in the garden or bring their own cooking stuff.
    They can use the kitchen once we are all vaccinated. Probably a few more trips for everyone like this before the summer is out too.
    First weekend in July we are going camping in their garden in Donegal.
    And last weekend in August we are camping in a Kerry friends garden.
    Everyones kids are all excited tbh. Some adults arent though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Allinall wrote: »
    That's only if you go camping locally.

Most people like to travel a bit further afield.

Locally means Ireland ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

TefalBrain wrote: »
    I used to love it here just as in got older I couldn't handle the **** weather and sudden influx of Lidl/Halfords campers.

on that last camping trip I was on, a family pulled up in a van and start building a fcuking fort around them.
    The father was hammering away a big barrier around the area they were camping. unloading everything and anything from the van for about two hours.

It was kinda ridiculous watching them setting everything up. could hardly call it 'camping'.

But jesus the next morning me getting out of my swamp of a tent to see their big fcuking castle all snug and protected :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Not a question I've asked myself often but the answer seems to be yes,there is such a thing as a camping snob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

HBC08 wrote: »
    Not a question I've asked myself often but the answer seems to be yes,there is such a thing as a camping snob.

Have you seen the sorts that buy all their camping gear in Halfords/Tesco/Lidl etc.. :eek:

The horror

Have you seen the sorts that buy all their camping gear in Halfords/Tesco/Lidl etc.. :eek:

The horror

The same sorts that buy an inflatable boat from Lidl and think its grand for the Atlantic...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Poor Wicklow is destroyed with abandoned tents, fire pits still smouldering after everyone has gone home and literal bags of rubbish left behind.

The sooner Benidorm is back on the menu the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

The horror

I mean really....
    There should be a separate area for these degenerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Between growing up camping & going to a school with a uniform I think that’s whats hardened me to anything life throws at me! Loved it as a kid but also have strong memories of the misery - summers basically sharing a room with 5 people and one wardrobe between us all - going to bed when it got dark cos there was no insulation or heat other than the gas ring to cook on - and the misery of truging in the rain in coat, PJ’s & barefoot in wellies to find a bush or camp toilet in the dark :(

I like my bit of luxury now & thou part of me loves the wild of tent-ing in the middle of nowhere I’m not sure I’d really feel safe doing it anymore - too many oddballs & drugheads around to be able to properly relax and sleep - and the dog wakes you with the fear going mad but its only a mouse or rabbit bopping around outside!

I’d defo to it but in a camper or van - neither of which I have atm!!! Ireland can be a great little country but you’d need the good weather and showering & water facilities!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Not a chance, would rather smash my toes with a hammer than sit in a rainy field with no facilities, nowhere to go and nothing to do.

The Irish never fail to deliver. No matter what it is, there will always be someone looking down their nose at those who aren't doing something as long as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Same here in Engerland. We'd normally go a couple of times a year and there would always be availability up to a couple of weeks beforehand. We've got two trips booked for this summer since early April (first one is next week, whoop!) and it turns out we were lucky to book so early. These are "wild" sites too so none of this luxury glamping lark.

Love me a bit of camping, especially here with the weather being better than home. In saying that, these trips are long weekends, I'm not sure I'd be into a full week or two of it. Feckin' kids would drive me demented.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Poor Wicklow is destroyed with abandoned tents, fire pits still smouldering after everyone has gone home and literal bags of rubbish left behind.

This crowd would normally be resort goers I'd bet, and have unfortunate min wage workers at their beck and call, picking up after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tabnabs wrote: »

Any good tents being left behind?

Advertisement