Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Mean people ever actually spend it ? ?

Comments

sporina wrote: »
    oh so what happens to one's money if they have not made a will?

Search for 'dying intestate ireland' and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭pgj2015

oh so what happens to one's money if they have not made a will?

It gets divided among the persons family. starting with his closest relatives, siblings etc.

A lot of people think the same as you and I have seen them put pressure on their family members to make a will and favor them usually, oh you better do it so the government doesn't get it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

JayZeus wrote: »
    Firstly, anyone with access to BBC and Blue Peter made toys out of cardboard boxes in the 80's. Or RTE and Bosco. Ann and Frank were masters of the glue stick, toilet roll and blunt nosed scissors, along with every child and their mother in Ireland. The 80's was a tight decade for a great many, but to equate it to the experiences of those experiencing life a child with parents who had been through 'The Emergency' is just pointless. They were not at all the same thing and only ignorance would lead one to think otherwise.

Secondly, for many a man of his generation and even our own, going to work is how one feels valued and to have a place and a purpose. It's bloody ridiculous to think that a pensioner who's worked and paid for his travel pass through decades of public service should be ridiculed by the OP because he takes the bus down the road to the old works canteen to have a bite to eat and doubtless a chat with some folks he'd worked with for years. Sure what else is an old bachelor to be doing? Porsche 911? A fortnight in Ibiza? A week in Vegas blowing his savings on the tables, coke and hookers?

As a man working for the ESB through the 70's and 80's, that man would have spent a time paying more than 60 pence in tax for every punt he earned. He would have seen the lunacy of tradesmen (likely as one himself) buying family homes, then holiday homes, then investment apartments. And what good did it do for most of them? He would have seen society change, his surrounds in Dublin change many times, his workplace become full of university educated middle and junior managers, while his apprenticeship, experience and increasing years would have had many of same look down their noses on him.

There's nothing to say that fella didn't enjoy his lunch, his chats, his work, his friendships, a few pints, sitting by the canal docks watching the swans or feeding ducks, a fresh cod and chips and a read of the newspaper enough to be happy living the life he lived. The absolute rubbish people come up with, thinking they're superior in some way because they spend what they have or more than it, thinking there's something wrong with the other fella.

There no talking to some eejits though.

405 words in reply? Dear lord, I must have really hit a nerve.

Someone who has hundreds upon thousands of euro (or potentially millions) in the bank of on the day of their death at some point in life, had money and chose not to spend it.

If they're going out and putting their bins in other people's waste and the likes, while also sitting on said money, they are a complete and utter miser and hoarding money on the backs of others. It's mean, tight fisted and not a nice trait at all.

I enjoy spending my money and especially enjoy spending it on friends and family. It's literally there to be spent. I'll always have a nest egg and some investments, but to sit on the rest and hoard money for the sake of it reminds me of Scrooge Mc Duck swimming in his pool of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

pgj2015 wrote: »
    It gets divided among the persons family. starting with his closest relatives, siblings etc.

A lot of people think the same as you and I have seen them put pressure on their family members to make a will and favor them usually, oh you better do it so the government doesn't get it etc.

thanks for that - my will is sorted but every day really is a school day. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

Sorry he left behind 1.9 million , all to a niece, is the tax limit not 35k, I actually think it's 32.5k but anyway. The niece will have to pay c.g.t. @ 33% on the rest???

• Advertisement

thanks for that - my will is sorted but every day really is a school day. thanks again

No problem.:) lots of people don't make wills for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Life is for living.

Its certainly more prelevant in Ireland being tight and saving money.

I never cane across it in England as much or France people live in the moment more and take the good times and bad times as they come.

In Ireland there seems to be such a fear of the bad times they forget to enjoy the good times.

There's an in grained folk memory there, Ireland until relatively recent generations was one of the poorest nations in Europe and knew great poverty. There was no white privilege that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

As someone who is very frugal, it warms my heart that there are people like me out there. Granted some things I was reading in the original post about this guy I thought was a bit excessive but I'm sure he enjoyed a simple life and didn't want to throw money away. I would be the exact same and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you don't compromise your life negatively and the exact same can be said on the inverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

As someone who is very frugal, it warms my heart that there are people like me out there. Granted some things I was reading in the original post about this guy I thought was a bit excessive but I'm sure he enjoyed a simple life and didn't want to throw money away. I would be the exact same and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you don't compromise your life negatively and the exact same can be said on the inverse.
    If you could bring it with you, Would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

Ish66 wrote: »
    If you could bring it with you, Would you ?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    405 words in reply? Dear lord, I must have really hit a nerve.

Someone who has hundreds upon thousands of euro (or potentially millions) in the bank of on the day of their death at some point in life, had money and chose not to spend it.

If they're going out and putting their bins in other people's waste and the likes, while also sitting on said money, they are a complete and utter miser and hoarding money on the backs of others. It's mean, tight fisted and not a nice trait at all.

I enjoy spending my money and especially enjoy spending it on friends and family. It's literally there to be spent. I'll always have a nest egg and some investments, but to sit on the rest and hoard money for the sake of it reminds me of Scrooge Mc Duck swimming in his pool of gold.

You did a word count and you think I hit a nerve? :rolleyes:

The great thing about people is we're all different, and that man wasn't you. His money, his life, his choices. No skin off my nose, nor should it be off your own.

The notable thing for me is that you're heavy into talking about you, your choices, your money, your ideas about another person you never met and whose path you likely never crossed.

The funny thing is that the man's dead. He can't care less. The only people who care are the the OP (telling his very one sided story about a man he's clearly fiercely jealous of) and folks who think he was a miser, a skinflint, a scrooge or whatever other names you'd like to give to someone you don't know and who can't explain his choices to you. You can't know a single thing about where he did spent a few pounds down through the years, who he gave donations to, who he helped along the way. But fire away there and judge him if labelling him as some tightwad helps you feel better about who you are.

In any case, fair play to him. No mean feat to put aside an inheritance for his niece like that on a jobbers income with the ESB.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you don't compromise your life negatively.
    This!!! and unfortunately the man from the o.p. certainly sounded like he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

volono wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as you don't compromise your life negatively.
    This!!! and unfortunately the man from the o.p. certainly sounded like he did.

Why ? happiness has nothing to do with how much money you spend

I'd rather a spicebox than a nose full of coke, a few pints in Dublin than a fortnight in Ibiza and if I was only going down the road for my lunch, a bus pass would be a lot more practical and therefore enjoyable to use for my purposes than a 911. The money would have nothing to do with the decisions I'd make.

People are gas. They can't get their heads around a man not pissing away his money, just, because. Do you think he wasn't happy? If having a big balance in the bank made him happy, would that be okay with ye? Or would he have had to spend it on stuff you want him to spend it on for it to be okay with you?

I know of people who didnt even have an inside toilet or running water but they died leaving hundreds of thousands to some nephew they never saw. it would hardly be pissing your money away to make them changes to your house and have a bit of comfort in your old age.

as for pissing it away, its only money, paper or a number on a screen, it should be used. that old man should have travelled a bit maybe, instead of sponging off his neighbours.

I would hate to think when im gone that people would think of me as a tight miserable man who wouldnt spend christmas. Dont get me wrong I work hard and make money but I dont mind spending it on family and myself, its there to be used.

He wouldn't pay for his household waste and begged, borrowed and annoyed neighbours for lawnmowers etc., sorry that's negative. Whatever the man or anyone else wants to do with their, that's fair enough, I couldn't care less. It shouldn't be to the detriment of others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lucky niece - lets hope he had her nominated as a favoured godchild for tax status!

Op - maybe he liked the sociability and excuse of borrowing the lawnmover - heading down for a chat & then back again. I occasionally borrow tools I have no space to store - and I get his annoyance at being taxed all his life at 42% and now having yo pay stealth taxes to put out bins etc. Gets up my nose too.

Nobody knows how much he had, nor how much he had and spent. For all you know he had another 1.8 m under the bed as button money, or spent or donated online. His cash, his business. Good for him!!!!

BTW if he had needed to go into a private nursing home it would cost him upwards of 3k A WEEK excluding any medical treatment needed. Imagine if you got alzheimers or had a stroke aged 65 & lived til you were 80 or 90. Ten years of nursing home ‘care’ would cost as much almost before they ‘gave’ you fair deal and them took your house and 90% of all your income and remaining savings. The government and HSE have managed to absolve the HSE of the duty or responsibility of providing the medical care to our elderly in Ireland but are throwing medical cards and money at any non working tosser or person landed on these shores - yet take and taxes a working familys lifes savings or house from them if they need sheltered medical care. Sickening. At 3k a week, 52 weeks year, maybe 15 or 20 years nursing home care - and this is on the leftover wages that have already been taxed at 42%
    .no wonder they are working to being in elder euthenasia.

Good luck to the man and his niece. I hope she was good to him throughout her life as she was clearly much loved.

He wouldn't pay for his household waste and begged, borrowed and annoyed neighbours for lawnmowers, sorry that's negative. Whatever the man or anyone else what's to do, that's fair enough, I couldn't care less

Begged and annoyed? I laugh at how some folks don't realise how common it would have been for one neighbour to own the lawnmower, another the clippers/fork/rake, another the wheelbarrow and shovel etc etc down through the years. Where I grew up in Dublin, doing the gardening didn't happen without getting bits and pieces from neighbours. There were the 'blow ins' who had no idea of the arrangements, decades old, who probably looked down their noses on oul' Paddy next door knocking in to Joe to get the hedge clippers, or Joe going to Jack to get the wheelbarrow, or Jack asking young Alan to come in and cut the grass for him as his leg was sore. It was how it worked, in every 'working class' part of Dublin's suburbs. To the casual or ignorant observer, it looks like begging/blagging/annoying, but to the folks who were doing it they just called this being neighbours. The wilful ignorance of so many is hilarious. Clueless, so ye are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

Begged and annoyed? I laugh at how some folks don't realise how common it would have been for one neighbour to own the lawnmower, another the clippers/fork/rake, another the wheelbarrow and shovel etc etc down through the years. Where I grew up in Dublin, doing the gardening didn't happen without getting bits and pieces from neighbours. There were the 'blow ins' who had no idea of the arrangements, decades old, who probably looked down their noses on oul' Paddy next door knocking in to Joe to get the hedge clippers, or Joe going to Jack to get the wheelbarrow, or Jack asking young Alan to come in and cut the grass for him as his leg was sore. It was how it worked, in every 'working class' part of Dublin's suburbs. To the casual or ignorant observer, it looks like begging/blagging/annoying, but to the folks who were doing it they just called this being neighbours. The wilful ignorance of so many is hilarious. Clueless, so ye are.

you need to chill.. no one is having ago at you.. gee

I think you see a bit more of it now that peoples houses are microscopic and often have tiny gardens that you wouldn’t want to use up by having an 8x8 ‘storage’ shed in - probably bigger than the whole garden! (tragically!). I also think ironically its a bit of a status symbol thing to be the go-to man with the gadget! No harm! Less plastic and recycling for the planet.

Lidl middle aisle makes a bit of a mess of this esp with their range of kill me quick chainsaws :0

PS Maybe yer man was good with the occasional flutter or had the magic numbers or was related to Delores or suchlike too!!! You can be frugal and lucky too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Ish66 wrote: »
    All his life, A Neighbour of mine,a single man was known in the area for being tight ! He never paid for bins, Small bags into street bins. He would borrow everything especially lawnmowers. He had a good job with the ESB down where the chimneys are.
    Even when he retired he used his bus pass to go down to his old workplace every lunchtime because the lunch was free. He died 2 years ago and a niece got the lot.
    I saw his will recently in the Sunday Indo, Including the house (360k) he left nearly 1.9M ! ! What was the point of his lifelong thrift ? Mental Illness ? Otherwise, What was the point of doing what he did for all my lifetime ?
    I could write a book telling you what I would do....Utter Madness :confused:

Was two bachelor brothers from down home who had no bathroom and the house was a shack. Basically lived in third world conditions. They would buy land like the bejaysus.

When the last one died the farm went to a nun relation in America (niece I think) and she sold it for 8 million during the boom, bonkers. Worse the church will end up with the money,

• Advertisement

I think you see a bit more of it now that peoples houses are microscopic and often have tiny gardens that you wouldn’t want to use up by having an 8x8 ‘storage’ shed in.....

Lidl middle aisle makes a bit of a mess of this esp with their range of kill me quick chainsaws :0

:D

. I'm clueless, your hilarious, justifying this man's behaviour. It's this type of attitude why the city centre is literally swimming in crap, it's a major problem

Mimon wrote: »
    Was two bachelor brothers from down home who had no bathroom and the house was a shack. Basically lived in third world conditions. They would buy land like the bejaysus.

When the last one died the farm went to a nun relation in America (niece I think) and she sold it for 8 million during the boom, bonkers. Worse the church will end up with the money,

well - they’ll definately have lots of prayers said for them so and be rotates through the pearly gates fairly quick!!

I have to say there’s a difference between being frugal, quirky on what you choose to spend your money on, and downright mean. I cannot abide meanness in a person - never paying their way and scabbing off you - its a most unattractive characteristic and has really made its into Ireland in the past number of years.Varadkad should open his rat on your neighbours line again - nothing worse than dole cheats and so called single mothers working cash in hand and getting all the benefits of someone ‘poor’ and a house thrown in for good luck while hard working committed families pay 42% tax and work day & night. Boils my blood.

I grew up in a 'working class" part of Dublin.The parents couldn't afford a lawnmower at one stage, they paid someone to do it. Many a time I hand clipped it personally as a child because of it. We had a spade, shovel, fork, brush and bags for everything else. My father didn't go round begging for tools, it was make do with what we had and save and BUY over the years for anything else. I'm clueless, your hilarious, justifying this man's behaviour. It's this type of attitude why the city centre is literally swimming in crap, it's a major problem

Sure half the reason they couldn't afford a lawnmower was because they were paying someone else to cut the grass instead of borrowing a neighbours one while they saved up for their own. Maybe the neighbours wouldn't have lent it to them anyway. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be", doesn't always leave you in a position to ask for something when you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

What I don't understand is why did they keep letting him into the ESB buildings and feeding him lunch at the canteen after he retired?

Also, why does the ESB give free lunches to their workers no place I was in ever did that? I guess that's why our bills are so high!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

People who grew up before the welfare state had to look after themselves and had this attitude to money. They wouldnt expect someone else to look after them either if they ran into bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

B2021M wrote: »
    People who grew up before the welfare state had to look after themselves and had this attitude to money. They wouldnt expect someone else to look after them either if they ran into bad times.

Oh ffs you're really trying to turn this into a dole bashing thread, do you lot ever think about anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

My ex was the inverse. Couldn't keep money. Spent it like it was going out of fashion. No pension, no savings. I tried to suggest to him that he should try to save a bit. Wouldn't hear of it.
    It's a major turn off for me, one of the reasons that I finished with him.

What I don't understand is why did they keep letting him into the ESB buildings and feeding him lunch at the canteen after he retired?

Also, why does the ESB give free lunches to their workers no place I was in ever did that? I guess that's why our bills are so high!

they get group medical scheme, paid private pool and healthclub purpose built for them in the city centre, cut price bills and lots of other perks. No wonder my LX is so high. I don’t begrudge the elderly the lunch & social outlet thou. The rest annoys me - especially given their pensions and jobs for life.

An no - thats not ‘mean’ - thats reckless spending of MY hard earned taxes for privileges and luxuries for other well paid and protected pensioned state employees.

• Advertisement

No, it had nothing to do with it. They weren't going around like tramps asking for lawnmowers or anything else off of anyone. I couldn't care less what this man did with his money, he wouldn't pay for his household waste or spend 2/300 on a lawnmower and you think its justified. I know what I would of said to him about it!!!

Advertisement