Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What'll we do with our dead?

• 10-01-2019 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Let's call a spade a spade: graveyards won't last, will they? We're a godless generation, us Milennials. Has there ever been another generation as detached from religion as us? Potentially not, and if that's the case, which it might well be, then how is this not going to have a knock-on effect for traditional, Christian burials?

Funeral and burial preferences have changed quite a lot. There was a time when cremation was a bit bold in the eyes of the church, a bit un-Christian-like, but now 33% of dead people are opting for this. This highlights a detachment even in non-Millenials, so how different could the landscape be in 40 or 50 years, when it's our time to go?

I appreciate that it's popular for the ashes of deceased people to be buried in graveyards to this day, but there's a chance we'll move further away from this in time, as people grow less sentimental over the idea of being buried with their loved ones. It's a lovely idea and I've nothing wrong with it obviously, but I don't think my generation will draw the same warmth and solace from it as our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

Who knows lads, but what I do know - or at least think - is that graveyards are f*cked. I'm not sure they'll physically go anywhere, but I do think the business side of them will suffer in the long run.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Dig up, stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hammer89 wrote: »
    ...It's a lovely idea ...

Yes. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They will all rot when they fall during the Millenial Plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

You can burn my fat ass.

You could run the national grid for a week off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Bring out your dead.

• Advertisement

Breaking news:

A two seat Cessna has crashed in a cemetery in Kerry.

A Garda spokesperson has said 26 bodies have been recovered so far, but more are expected as digging goes on in to the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Cremation for me and ashes into the Atlantic sailing westwards. I have heard though that there is a problem with the ashes from cremation - very alkaline they are. And millions and millions of people's ashes might be a problem for soil.

Graveyards are a bit spooky. The whole thing about liquifying and decomposing in a box...yuck. But you know, each to their own. We have plenty of space for graveyards in Ireland as we have low population density. Might be better to have grave forests though and bury bodies in shrouds under trees.

As an alternative bring back wolves and build excarnation platforms, and maybe the animals will drag off the bones and deal with them. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I've often wondered if burial will fall victim to the environmentalists - all those bodies in the ground are surely keeping some tree-hugger awake at night, worrying about polluting the water table, releasing CO2 and all that. Not to mention all the wood used in making coffins. All it will take is one millenial to float the idea that he wants his remains draped over a tree to feed the animals, and they'll all be at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Graveyards always seemed a waste to me for both space and cost, i want the cheapest possible funeral. I've already made it very clear to cremate me and do as they wish with my ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zorya wrote: »
    Cremation for me and ashes into the Atlantic sailing westwards.

Sailing westwards? Nope. Prevailing winds here mean you will end up stuck in some kid's icecream on a bleak Lahinch promenade. So in that respect you will live on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

Wouldn't it be better just to put people into the ground in paper garments and just let nature take it's course?

Heard of this idea years ago of planting seeds with the body, and using the nutrients from decomposing body to grow trees or crops. Not a bad way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The future: Put a poll on social media listing 4 or 5 methods of disposal and whichever gets the most likes and shares is chosen and live streamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.

Burn me and stick my ashes in the sea, or scatter them anywhere, i don't care.

I don't want anyone to feel obliged to come to a bleak, wet cemetery on my birthday, Christmas etc. and put flowers on my grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.[/QUOTE]

I believe they call that Bin Laden Style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

randd1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better just to put people into the ground in paper garments and just let nature take it's course?

There'll be no insertion into the earth, going forward. Future generations will think it's as unconventional as we think of Egyptian burials.

'You'll never guess what our ancestors used to do for burials.
    'Go on then, what did they do?'
    'Right, so they put the bodies in these long wooden yokes first...'
    'Like boats?'
    'Yes but twice as expensive as boats and not as long. Anyway, then that box - I think they called them coffins - would get lowered into the ground.'
    'Mental c*nts.'
    'Absolutely'.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There must be an opportunity here. Who will dispose of the remains of the final human? Should be training up robots to do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.

The guidelines: http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/content/maritime/english/general/environment/burial-sea-guidelines.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

soylent-green-is-people.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Certainly going nowhere here in West of Ireland. Funerals, gravestones are huge business here still with everyone competing with each other and funerals themselves being some of the biggest events with death notices on radio something I would suspect everyone listening to Midwest and shannonside regularly tune in for.

I have seen 3 of my friends die, one as recently as last year and all have gotten a Christian burial even though none were religious.

Look at it this way how many non Christian weddings are taking place in modern Ireland..maybe 10%? How many young couples don't baptise their kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

randd1 wrote: »

Heard of this idea years ago of planting seeds with the body, and using the nutrients from decomposing body to grow trees or crops. Not a bad way to go.

I'd be happy with that

A big wooden box is wasteful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Aegir wrote: »
    Burn me and stick my ashes in the sea, or scatter them anywhere, i don't care.

I don't want anyone to feel obliged to come to a bleak, wet cemetery on my birthday, Christmas etc. and put flowers on my grave.

They wouldn't go anyway; not because they don't love and miss you, but because we're increasingly finding better ways in which to honour our loved ones and they don't involve crying over a large bit of marble with your name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

We're all just stardust no matter what you do with it. Which is actually rather poetic and nice. I'm ok with cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My instructions are to take from my corpse anything that can be used to help another living person, and burn the rest. I don't care what happens with the ashes. I've no romantic notions about where they go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Shoot me out of a cannon while playing The Ace of Spades so loud that anyone within a ten-mile radius goes deaf and Lemmy rises from the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Oink wrote: »
    Shoot me out of a cannon while playing The Ace of Spades so loud that anyone within a ten-mile radius goes deaf and Lemmy rises from the dead.

I was always impressed with Sean Lock's wish to be fly tipped on a hedge in a scenic area. That way he could continue to annoy people even when he's dead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

When I die, I want my remains scattered in Disneyland. Also, I don't want to be cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is cremation environmentally friendly, with all the gas and all? I don't like the idea of a graveyard, but what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Throw them into the brown bin maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I want to be cremated and my family are aware of this. No idea what to do with the ashes but sure I'll leave that up to them.

Advertisement