Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Asylum Centre Torched

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

I voted 'Yes' in the poll because I'd happily welcome the people - but only if the infrastructure was there, and if adequate temporary housing was provided for them, rather than throwing them into hotels for Christ knows how long.

At least you are supporting your statement.

But do you not think its a bit contradictory to state support "if things were different" when in fact they very much are not different?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

mammajamma wrote: »
    I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended? ;)

That's easy. Migrant Centre's have been proven all over Europe to have a disastrous effect to towns and villages. What this person or persons have done, is attempt to stop the location plan through all means necessary. Some may say it's illegal, some may say that the Sentinel Islanders killing that guy was illegal. Is defending your homeland illegal? Technically, legally, probably but it's the people that are trying to replace us that are setting the laws. Was the 1916 Rising illegal? Yes. But it was the people who didn't want a rebellion and were trying to replace us that were setting the laws.

It's the great story of our time. The invasion of Europe. Are we going to be the generation that says "we wanted to defend out homeland but there were rules Against it and some people would have called us names, so we didn't bother".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

dav3 wrote: »
    Well the first step would be to condem an arson attack I would have thought. I think most reasonable intelligent people would condem it.

Leave the dregs of Irish society to applaud it. They’re going nowhere, except prison. Just like their parents and grandparents before them.

Filthy animals burning down the centre I will join you in condemning it these people are not reasonable or intelligent.:mad:

Now as a reasonable and intelligent person I would love to help out and I am in no doubt you feel the same.

Have you got a free bedroom in your home that you can offer it would be so helpful come on show those thugs the true Irish cade media Falta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

At least you are supporting your statement.

But do you not think its a bit contradictory to state support "if things were different" when in fact they very much are not different?

Yes/No polls are never ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I voted 'Yes' in the poll because I'd happily welcome the people - but only if the infrastructure was there, and if adequate temporary housing was provided for them, rather than throwing them into hotels for Christ knows how long.

If the system worked correctly then Christ (or someone much less exalted) would be able to tell you that it would be only for as long as it takes to verify their claims to be asylum seekers - or otherwise.

But given the interminable appeal process that has enriched so many Irish lawyers, even Christ wouldn't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I believe the main interest most Irish people have in immigration is to see less of it, even Clinton has come out and said peoples fears about immigration must be listened to.

I am an Irish person and I wouldnt move to a rural town because the people living in these places are very cliquish. How on earth is someone from Nigeria or Pakistan supposed to be able to be able to cope with the weather and the isolation and where are they supposed to find work. All the children in the local schools will be related to each other and they will stick together against any outsiders, it would be the same if I transported my red haired freckly family to Nigeria, we would stick out like a sore thumb in a rural black town.

The Government are deliberately choosing these places to send a message to other people intending to seek asylum here that you wont end up in Dublin City Or Galway or Cork, you will live where the Government choose to send you and I am okay with that. Most of the people coming are not fleeing persecution, they are economic migrants and for the most part are no use to us. They will mostly have numerous children and will be relying on handouts and taking houses that young Irish working class people need. I would prefer they were housed in a facility near Dublin airport, their claims decided quickly and if declined they be put on the first plane back to wherever they came from. Lawyers on FRee legal aid wont like this efficiency, they and the numerous NGOs are making a nice living on what is absurd nonsense and its time for our elected representatives to pull the plug.

If any candidate puts themselves forwards on a platform for dealing with immigrants and asylum seekers they will get triple Peter Caseys vote, its long past time someone dealt with this issue.

Yes/No polls are never ideal.

True, but in this case its fairly appropriate (or as close as youre going to get).

Its based on very current events, with a history of similarity in other small towns. I think its fair to be able to state support or not as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Odhinn

That's easy. Migrant Centre's have been proven all over Europe to have a disastrous effect to towns and villages. What this person or persons have done, is attempt to stop the location plan through all means necessary. Some may say it's illegal, some may say that the Sentinel Islanders killing that guy was illegal. Is defending your homeland illegal? Technically, legally, probably but it's the people that are trying to replace us that are setting the laws. Was the 1916 Rising illegal? Yes. But it was the people who didn't want a rebellion and were trying to replace us that were setting the laws.

It's the great story of our time. The invasion of Europe. Are we going to be the generation that says "we wanted to defend out homeland but there were rules Against it and some people would have called us names, so we didn't bother".

totally overblown guff.

Any asylum seekers sent to Donegal wouldnt be able to go through the North to get to Dublin, they would have to travel via Sligo.

The Reception and Integration Agency said this wouldnt be a problem, they would provide comfort stops and hotel overnight stays for refugees needing to go to Dublin, how much would this cost the taxpayer. Nice little hotel stops for economic migrants who shouldnt be in this country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny, but is there some war or something going on in Nigeria that I'm not aware of? What makes Nigerians refugees? And if there is a genuine reason I'm not aware of, are there not dozens of surrounding countries that are perfectly viable alternatives for them?? Africa is an utterly enormous continent and Europe just doesn't have enough room to accommodate them all of them. I don't see any good argument for them coming all the way here tbh

The North of the Nigeria yes. The South of Nigeria is as safe as it gets for Nigerian standards.

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »
    I believe the main interest most Irish people have in immigration is to see less of it, even Clinton has come out and said peoples fears about immigration must be listened to.

I am an Irish person and I wouldnt move to a rural town because the people living in these places are very cliquish. How on earth is someone from Nigeria or Pakistan supposed to be able to be able to cope with the weather and the isolation and where are they supposed to find work. All the children in the local schools will be related to each other and they will stick together against any outsiders, it would be the same if I transported my red haired freckly family to Nigeria, we would stick out like a sore thumb in a rural black town.

The Government are deliberately choosing these places to send a message to other people intending to seek asylum here that you wont end up in Dublin City Or Galway or Cork, you will live where the Government choose to send you and I am okay with that. Most of the people coming are not fleeing persecution, they are economic migrants and for the most part are no use to us. They will mostly have numerous children and will be relying on handouts and taking houses that young Irish working class people need. I would prefer they were housed in a facility near Dublin airport, their claims decided quickly and if declined they be put on the first plane back to wherever they came from. Lawyers on FRee legal aid wont like this efficiency, they and the numerous NGOs are making a nice living on what is absurd nonsense and its time for our elected representatives to pull the plug.

If any candidate puts themselves forwards on a platform for dealing with immigrants and asylum seekers they will get triple Peter Caseys vote, its long past time someone dealt with this issue.

I can agree with a lot there, not everything.

However, about sending a message, I doubt someone from Nigeria has the first clue about the differences between Sligo verus Wicklow, for example.

Would you know the difference between Taraba and Matsina in Nigeria? All you'll care about is "im getting to Nigeria, and that's what I want"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hot take central in here.

Odhinn wrote: »
    totally overblown guff.

YIL.gif

The influential people mostly live in Dublin, especially the nicer parts so they will effectively block anything that impacts on their house prices.

Also any hotel in a nice area that isnt making much money can be redeveloped as housing if zoning allows. The Tara Tower hotel on the Rock Road in Blackrock
    Dublin seems to be boarded up and I have heard apartment blocks will be built on the site. It would have been ideal for a small halting site or a direct provision centre but this site faces the seafront so expensive homes will be built for wealthy downsizers.

If we dont want hundreds and thousands of asylum seekers coming we have to make sure that we house them where other people mostly dont want to live, ie rural isolated areas with no services and no broadband and **** all to do from September till May. This means these people will either go back to where they came from or else make their way to another European country to try out their chances there. You can bet your life most of the refugees are male and young and they werent going to hang around Moville for too long anyway.

I see where youre coming from, but I cant totally agree.

An equivalent would be trying to get rid of a beggar by overloading them with money, in the hopes that they'll stop asking for more money because their pockets will be too full. If that were the governments plan, its a whopper :)

But sending these people to the least capable areas and least represented areas where they will have the greatest impact, that's just sneaky. Theres no better word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Also any hotel in a nice area that isnt making much money can be redeveloped as housing if zoning allows. The Tara Tower hotel on the Rock Road in Blackrock Dublin seems to be boarded up and I have heard apartment blocks will be built on the site. It would have been ideal for a small halting site or a direct provision centre but this site faces the seafront so expensive homes will be built for wealthy downsizers.

The hotel will be rebuilt as a four star Maldron hotel and the car park down the lane behind the hotel will be used to build 70 apartments.

No doubt some of the apartments will be snapped up by the local Council to provide social housing. Maybe Margaret Cash will get one of them.

Seeing as these communities are so small, how long would a door-to-door consensus take?

1 day?

Why haven't the government done that? If theres so much support, surely they would welcome such a solid consensus, no?

**Evil Conspiracy**
    They know fully well that the vast majority of people don't want this in their community, and therefore are too clever to actually "ask". You know, that pesky democracy thing, tsk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Arghus wrote: »
    Hot take central in here.
    Another fascinatingly dumb after hours thread. Gemma o Doherty levels of codology.

Another fascinatingly dumb after hours thread. Gemma o Doherty levels of codology.

That "news" thing, eh? Terribly inconvenient.

But a fascinatingly dumb contribution to the thread!

Any actual contribution to make besides that? Do you support these asylum centres being set up in the least capable places in the country?

And most importantly for a conversation, why?

That "news" thing, eh? Terribly inconvenient.

But a fascinatingly dumb contribution to the thread!

Any actual contribution to make besides that? Do you support these asylum centres being set up in the least capable places in the country?

And most importantly for a conversation, why?
    Wanton destruction of property. I already know you don't want a conversation going by your ethno nationalist posting history.

Now go back to playing cod. That's a good place for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I drive around the city and the percentage of non whites is depressing.

• Advertisement

Wanton destruction of property. I already know you don't want a conversation going by your ethno nationalist posting history.

So you have nothing to say but keep posting, have outright said you wont engage in conversation, and of course the sideways jab at me personally.

That makes you a troll. It also makes you reported :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I hope they catch and lock up the scumbags who set fire to that building, and I hope the injured person makes a swift and full recovery.

It's just lucky that there was no loss of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

What??? Why?

(I am biting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I think they should be held in a big off shore tanker or one of the uninhabited barren islands while thier applications are being processed.

They are human, you would not do it to cattle

71aye.jpg

Anyway, I always found the city depressing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I agree, there are just so many orange girls now that the christmas party season has started. I understand that it's the way the want to look, but I do find it rather disturbing.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I hope they catch and lock up the scumbags who set fire to that building, and I hope the injured person makes a swift and full recovery.

It's just lucky that there was no loss of life.

Any comment on the particular details, or do you make similar generic comments on any old fire anywhere anytime?

So you have nothing to say but keep posting, have outright said you wont engage in conversation, and of course the sideways jab at me personally.

That makes you a troll. It also makes you reported :)
    Considering you have tried and failed to intellectualize your racism?

Yes your right. There really no point of anybody conversing with you.

Your threads are nothing new. Gemma o Doherty like.

Squatter wrote: »
    The hotel will be rebuilt as a four star Maldron hotel and the car park down the lane behind the hotel will be used to build 70 apartments.

No doubt some of the apartments will be snapped up by the local Council to provide social housing. Maybe Margaret Cash will get one of them.

I heard the adjoining petrol forecourt and shop is to be closed and redeveloped too.

I didnt hear a new hotel was going in, I heard the entire site was to be redeveloped with apartments.

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    I agree, there are just so many orange girls now that the christmas party season has started. I understand that it's the way the want to look, but I do find it rather disturbing.
    Only joined this month and that poster is posting racist crap anybody would think it is a leftwing plant to do a false flag on us.

I don't agree with the immigration centre but I also don't agree with that kind of racism.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement