Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a country barman

• 18-07-2018 10:30am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a barman in a country bar in County Kerry. The bar is in a small town which is home to about 800 people. As with all good country bars, there is also a shop and a post office in the bar. Drink driving is a hot topic that he can answer questions on as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Did I leave my glasses on the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If a man asked for blackcurrant in his Guinness, how would you (as a proud country barman) feel inside?

Potentially I am way off the mark, but I'll ask anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you ever taken the keys off someone?

Have you ever had to refuse to serve?

Any fights?

Do you sometimes feel like a councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

on behalf of patrons of small country pubs everywhere I salut you

what do you see the future of the country pub being

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

What kind of a shop is it, is it one of those ones you see where people are sitting up at the bar which also doubles as the shop counter or is it a separate shop? I find the other ones fascinating being from a very urban upbringing. You'd see all sorts on the shelves in them, wellies, rat poison, rope, a hammer, lol. Maybe it's not that kind of shop.

More serious question...have drink driving laws had much of an effect on business there or on how some people, particularly the older generation make use of the bar?
    Would they come less often now or are they more likely to come in groups (i.e. with a designated driver) rather than alone? The Healy-raes would have us believe that the newest drink driving limits will kill off the bar business altogether, would you agree with that or do you think it will have any effect at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is it practical for publicans to drop customers who live in rural areas home, rather than have them risk their own, and others lives, by getting behind the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

King or tayto?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Are you on a tourist route and do you find the tourists do a lot of drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What kind of behaviour does it take from a punter for you to stop serving them?

Has your personal attitude towards drinking changed for the better or the worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Are Dubs welcome in your pub ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You don't say a whole pile do you?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What time do you actually top serving at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Do you find the shop and Post office actually help your pub business, A man calling over to send a letter/grap a paper and gets a pint when he's at it or would it be quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Is every night a lock-in?

I swear I'm not a cop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do your customers prefer London Dry Gin out of the Gordon's bottle or the Cork bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Is there any of the character's left that when they go at the drink they go at it awful and hard?

As in is there anyone in the village that would put away twenty pints of porter in a long session and still make sense?

Did many of the regulars keep drinking Guinness during the hot spell? What did people change to?

What is the biggest tip you ever got?

Do you have a book/slate to 'write that down'?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Do you find over the years, that your bar is slowly becoming a cafe?

More people looking for tea and a sandwich instead of a pint or a shot?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Having spent a few summers working bar in a town of about 1200 in Laois, this is bringing the memories flooding back... which gives me a bunch of questions based on my own experiences :)

Guinness, Murphy's, or Beamish?

Do ye keep a knife next to the taps to scrape the extra foam off the top of pints?

Do any of the staff always ask about the fruit machine in order to track how many losers there's been so they can get a potential easy win?

How you gonna handle cleaning/sanding down the bar now that Good Friday is open for biz?

Do ye have that one lad that you can't get rid of when you've finished up, got everyone else out, and you're ready for bed?

Do you have any aging bottles of After Shock or cocktail pre-mixes collecting dust on a shelf somewhere since the early 2000's that you'd actually be afraid to serve someone since they're so old?

Do you have that one guy that racks up huge tabs every month but mysteriously always gets it paid in the end?

Being a shop & post office as well, is security an issue? I recall myself that there could end up being a lot of money on the premises between bank runs - can't imagine how being a post office would add to that.

Ever let anyone sleep in the bar just because they were a regular and/or too drunk to get home?

Are there any other local bars competing for biz? How do you handle the competition?

Do you do food?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Is the day shift harder than the evening shift? i'd imagine working in a bar from 11am to 2-3pm is torture, the problems you'd have to listen to......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

You don't say a whole pile do you?

Must be a very quiet pub :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you have wifi in the pub?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Do you have a bedside locker?

Whats in said bedside locker?

if you lower the blinds, will you put out the ashtrays?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Are we all barred?

You're not speaking to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Are you legit with sky or have you found some cheap dodgy box solution?

Not judging, sky charge far too much so more power to you if you get an alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have you ever had to deal with members of the travelling community getting obstreperous and if so, how did you deal with them?

Whats the most you've ever seen someone drink in a single sitting and were they still compos mentis by the end?

Best thing about your job?

Worst thing about your job?

Would you always ask for ID if its a borderline underage fella or just give them the benefit of the doubt?

Whats your tipple of choice?

Do you frequent the pub you work in when you are not working and if not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you have any/many patrons with more than 1 All Ireland?
    "And that bothers Joe. If there was an argument about football in a pub in Kerry and a fella with one all-Ireland medal tried to get involved, they wouldn’t even listen to him. There would be lads with three or four in there.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Have you ever spoken to a customer?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

"Now ye're talking - To yourself"

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    "Now ye're talking - To yourself"

:D

Probably having a lie in after last nights lock-in.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Be nice people, I only emailed him the thread link when I set it up at 11.30 this morning, he may be busy working. Ye're very anxious to get chatting :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement