Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blueface iOS Softphone

• 18-08-2020 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭

Company recently deployed a VoIP system through Blueface, mix of desk phones and softphone clients. Currently using Blueface iOS Softphone client, but after a short amount of time out of the app, the line is showing as 'inactive' on the Blueface UC, for all softphone users.

I have asked the supplier for any settings to change etc, I have searched online etc and unfortunately it seems to be an iOS thing. The app cant be included in the 'Background App Refresh' setting, I have added it to 'Always allow' in screen time but to no avail. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Company recently deployed a VoIP system through Blueface, mix of desk phones and softphone clients. Currently using Blueface iOS Softphone client, but after a short amount of time out of the app, the line is showing as 'inactive' on the Blueface UC, for all softphone users.

I have asked the supplier for any settings to change etc, I have searched online etc and unfortunately it seems to be an iOS thing. The app cant be included in the 'Background App Refresh' setting, I have added it to 'Always allow' in screen time but to no avail. Any ideas?

That's pretty poor by Blueface to be honest. Its been the case since IOS 11 and also on recent Android releases that apps cant maintain a background connection to stay active (hence the experience you are seeing). This was done correctly to protect battery usage.

All decent VoIP providers have since upgraded their apps to work in a different way. The recommended model is that the app uses a push message mechanism to wake the app when an inbound call is coming in.

Many of the independent VoIP apps have implemented this also using their own proxy SIP server to do the push messaging. Bria Mobile is the best example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Yeah, not happy with it at all to be honest with you. It effectively means that unless an employee is sitting there with the softphone open, when a call is put through to them it goes straight to voicemail.

Yeah, not happy with it at all to be honest with you. It effectively means that unless an employee is sitting there with the softphone open, when a call is put through to them it goes straight to voicemail.

Its possible you can use Bria Mobile with the Blueface SIP settings. Worth trying out.

slegs wrote: »
    Its possible you can use Bria Mobile with the Blueface SIP settings. Worth trying out.

We have Blueface through a reseller, who just rebrand it as their own but I know its Blueface under the bonnet, so some of the SIP settings are hidden. We only have access to username + pass for login to softphone client, and that combo doesnt work on Bria.

The worrying thing is I cant see this being fixed to be honest, if its around since iOS 11 then surely they would have had it fixed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's no wonder customers keep on leaving Blueface, just terrible service

Damo can you go to a different SIP provider?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    It's no wonder customers keep on leaving Blueface, just terrible service

Damo can you go to a different SIP provider?

Unfortunately, we have just rolled out this service internally.....

Deskphones, UC Portal etc all working brilliantly, but the softphone app is letting them down big time. Its looking like we will have to divert all calls from internal extensions, to the staff's mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unfortunately, we have just rolled out this service internally.....

Deskphones, UC Portal etc all working brilliantly, but the softphone app is letting them down big time. Its looking like we will have to divert all calls from internal extensions, to the staff's mobile numbers.

Ouch that will increase your monthly bill

Headshot wrote: »
    Ouch that will increase your monthly bill

Yup, definitely.

@slegs - is this what you were talking about in terms of waking the app up? I just cant see why Blueface wouldnt update this in their app, to be honest.

Yes thats it. Android has a similar model.

The irony is that that the Blueface app is based on Linphone's open source code (I can tell from the look of it). See here https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-iphone

Linphone itself upgraded its opensource code to enable this long ago. Blueface just need to update the app with the new Linphone code and add the server side feature to do the push message to the phone. Its actually not that complicated.

Advertisement