Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds will develop late Wednesday 18th

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ouch! I would hate to be out in this for more than a minute. The light keeps flickering too...

And I am in a dip so sheltered :eek:

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aviation warning of a big pressure variation throughout Shannon airspace north of 5315N between 4 and 10 pm.
    EISN PR WRNG 01 VALID 181600/182200 EISN SURFACE PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO PASS THROUGH THE VALUES 0999 HPA AND 1025 HPA IN SHANNON FIR DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD N of N5315 FCST=

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aviation warning of a big pressure variation throughout Shannon airspace north of 5315N between 4 and 10 pm.

That is interesting. does it endanger aircraft? ( Ignorant if these things but happy to learn from an expert..)

WIld the wind and raucous... battering and shattering. Just.. normal gale.. a quieter moment then GROWL!

West to North West.. . a long night in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm
    Mace head gusting 53 knots(98 km/h)
    Newport 52 knots (96 km/h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Easing off now
    9pm
    Newport gusting 54 knots
    Mace head 50 knots.

A very rapid rise in pressure,Belmullet going from 1003hpa @ 6pm to 1014 hpa at 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very rough now in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Easing off now in West Connemara . Last gust was 24km/h

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

That is interesting. does it endanger aircraft? ( Ignorant if these things but happy to learn from an expert..)

It would affect an aircraft's actual altitude above obstacles. If flying from high pressure to low, your actual altitude is decreasing despite your altimeter reading the same. If not careful, you could inadvertently fly into an obstacle which would have been well below your altitude when you were in the higher pressure zone. Every hPa is a difference of around 27 feet, so that difference of 26 hPa means you'd be flying 700 ft lower in 999 hPa than you would in 1025 hPa.

The saying goes "Flying from high to low, watch out below".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Unbelievably strong gusts in north Kildare at the moment.

Can’t believe how strong it is against our gable wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

Yeah very wild in Rathdrum in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Loud in Dún Laoghaire, but far from the worst this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty strong gusts here in Wicklow, had to run out and secure the child's play house as it was starting to move down the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford has it's wind shield up

river?version=5270776&width=230

It would affect an aircraft's actual altitude above obstacles. If flying from high pressure to low, your actual altitude is decreasing despite your altimeter reading the same. If not careful, you could inadvertently fly into an obstacle which would have been well below your altitude when you were in the higher pressure zone. Every hPa is a difference of around 27 feet, so that difference of 26 hPa means you'd be flying 700 ft lower in 999 hPa than you would in 1025 hPa.

The saying goes "Flying from high to low, watch out below".

Thank you. Such skills needed up there. Deeply awed!

Easing pleasurably.

This is the third gale/wind -loud night in a row here.
    N./NW sounds quite different from S/Sw.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭highdef

Had to travel to the office in Dublin earlier in the evening. Left around 23:00. Was breezy but nothing out of the ordinary. Got back home to North Kildare about half an hour later. Wind a little stronger as I am exposed to a westerly (sheltered from most directions bar anything with "west" in it). Was windy but certainly not a gale. I'd say gusts were up to force 8 with the odd one up to force 9. Winds have eased off a good bit now. Mean speeds would be at higher end of strong breeze with gusts generally around near gale force, the odd one maybe touching gale force 8.

My nearest weather station is Dunsany (Meath) and average winds for the 00:00 report were force 5 with gusts of force 7 (high end of). It's fairly sheltered there so looking at the 01:00 reports at Dublin Airport (where it's very exposed) the average winds were touching force 7 with gusts at the high end of force 8. This Dublin report would be fairly similar to the conditions at my north Kildare location around the same time.

In short, it's a fairly typical windy late autumn strong Atlantic low scenario but the lack of stronger than average winds for the past could make it seem stronger than it is for some people.
    Case in point: Across the whole country there are currently 6 ESB breakdowns showing up on the ESB Power Check website with about 400 customers in total affected. If this was an actual storm (with storm force winds), we would have dozens upon dozens of power cuts affecting thousands or tens of thousands of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Not a puff of wind all day in Cork City. I was waiting all night for the wind warning only to learn that it was already over.

Petering out nicely out here but still snarling strong winds, and a bitter, winter chill biting.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

We lost electricity in the area at about 2130hrs for 20mins. Very Windy evening indeed.
    South Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Top Gusts were

Mace Hd 102kph
    Newport 100kph

Sligo about 80 to 90kph

Back Garden 51.5kph

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭axe2grind

East Wicklow, lost power last night (back this morning) and trees down. It seemed to be NW winds instead of the usual S or SW and this seemed to have more of an impact than some stronger winds earlier this autumn

axe2grind wrote: »
    East Wicklow, lost power last night (back this morning) and trees down. It seemed to be NW winds instead of the usual S or SW and this seemed to have more of an impact than some stronger winds earlier this autumn

Yes the wind direction affects differently.

Most of the houses nearest northern facing Atlantic shore here are either " back to the north", or where I live, gable end to the north ( built 150 years ago many of them. )

What they call " vernacular architecture"

They even(!) set the chimneys for the prevailing winds. Getting the stove to light in a northerly....
    Because although most of the winds are s/sw, when the northerlies come in they are stronger and fiercer. And colder...

Wish I could measure wind speeds out here .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

Yes the wind direction affects differently.

Most of the houses nearest northern facing Atlantic shore here are either " back to the north", or where I live, gable end to the north ( built 150 years ago many of them. )

What they call " vernacular architecture"

They even(!) set the chimneys for the prevailing winds. Getting the stove to light in a northerly....
    Because although most of the winds are s/sw, when the northerlies come in they are stronger and fiercer. And colder...

Wish I could measure wind speeds out here .

What time do you rise grace

bassy wrote: »
    What time do you rise grace

;lol... I am up when I wake which tends to be very very early. Free agent so can sleep etc when I want. (Family in Canada so live by their time for phone calls eetc)

The wind woke me tonight... Back to sleep now. Still snug abed anyways

Advertisement