Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jordan Peterson interview on C4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Your Face wrote: »
    Munster game is postponed.

"so....so you're saying Jordan Peterson wants to kill all women is it?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dont know why its happening these days but some need to be told feelings are not facts
    I would say that's down to very broadly two camps of thought more mainstream these days. On the one hand you have Bro Science™(that would be the red pill/PUA eejits) on the Other Chick Think™(Tumblr feminists, but also far more mainstream than Bro Science). The latter are have the feelings not facts thing in full flow. There's also a more generalised infantilisation going on too, so from many "sides" we see an adolescent style of reaction within debates.
    Feminism is defined as belief in the equality of the sexes.
    Partially. It's better defined as advocacy for women's rights on the grounds of equality of the sexes. The clue is in the name. And that's fine, but increasingly it has been a cherry picking of "rights" over responsibilities. And of course the increasing demonisation of the male and men.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

"so....so you're saying Jordan Peterson wants to kill all women is it?"

Only if they interrupt the men watching the rugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm no fan of Peterson, but that was a terrible way to conduct an interview.

However this video could be a fantastic drinking game ; Take a shot whenever Newman says "So you're saying..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Her AR5E handed to her on a plate, I love the way her voice got louder as she was losing the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Open the tweet and have a read through

https://twitter.com/CheekiScrump/status/954773827812315136

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I have to laugh at the title underneath that.

"And people wonder why there are not more women at the top"

Yes, because successful people really give a **** about what some trolls in their basements think about them.

In other news.
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/21/no-excuse-for-online-abuse-says-professor-in-tv-misogyny-row
    when he (Peterson) became aware of the abuse allegations he “immediately tweeted ‘if you’re one of those people doing that, back off’, there’s no excuse for that, no utility’.”

He said the experience had left him trying to put himself in Newman’s position. “There is no doubt that Cathy has been subjected to a withering barrage of criticism online. One of the things I’ve been trying to do is to try to imagine what I’d do if I found myself in her situation and how I would react to it and understand how it was happening. But they’ve provided no evidence that the criticisms constituted threats. There are some nasty cracks online but the idea that this is somehow reflective of a fundamental misogyny and that’s what’s driving this is ridiculous.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why do bloggers on the right always have to use terms like CRUSHED and DESTROYED!!!!'???

It's a bit embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

xtal191 wrote: »

while I 100% detest anyone that makes threats on social media she doesnt exactly look all cut up about it. Seems like a deflection attempt

DUERh48U8AAUPRu.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Being an aggressive and interviewer can be a good thing when dealing with evasive people but she completely misrepresented what he was saying and he wasn’t being evasive. It’s clear she brought he own agenda and preconceptions into the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

buried wrote: »
    "So you're saying..." "So you're saying..." "So you're saying...". When you keep hearing that from someone, they don't want to listen or even debate, they want a fight. The interviewer lost that fight big time after the 21st minute

So you're saying you hate women?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Being an aggressive and interviewer can be a good thing when dealing with evasive people but she completely misrepresented what he was saying and he wasn’t being evasive. It’s clear she brought he own agenda and preconceptions into the interview.

true, it might work with a slippery politician , but if you are dealing with someone talking about a book they have written they have nothing to hide. Instead of " so you are saying..." should have been replaced with "thats interesting can you expand on that..." and let their grown up audience decide

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭tritium

B0jangles wrote: »
    Isn't he the guy who thinks being asked to use a transgender person's preferred pronouns is oppression and a sign of the impending collapse of modern society?

Nice ad hominem! Interestingly he actually deals with this exact point in the interview- the interviewer tried the exact same as hominem! Who would have thought.....

An important part of her job is to listen to what someone is saying whether you agree with them or not. She either wasn't listening or else was trying to deliberately twist his words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Perhaps C4 thought they were getting an Alt-Right idiotic shill like Richard Spencer who they could shout down rather than someone with actual intellectual capacity like Jordan Peterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭brevity

She was way too...tabloidish which was a bit disappointing but I think this could have been deliberate. She asked the questions that other people would have been thinking and in a way showed up how silly some of the arguments are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why do bloggers on the right always have to use terms like CRUSHED and DESTROYED!!!!'???

It's a bit embarrassing.

Same as the left using slayed-owned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Perhaps C4 thought they were getting an Alt-Right idiotic shill like Richard Spencer who they could shout down rather than someone with actual intellectual capacity like Jordan Peterson.

This is the problem with labeling people incorrectly. She had an idea of him which was completely false and she carried it into the interview. People are using these labels to invalidate other people’s opinions that they don’t like but can’t debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Channel 4 interview technique brought to you by Brass Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,392 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

brevity wrote: »
    She was way too...tabloidish which was a bit disappointing but I think this could have been deliberate. She asked the questions that other people would have been thinking and in a way showed up how silly some of the arguments are.

Nobody with three functioning brain cells was thinking those questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Its amazing how much modern day news has evolved into exactly what Brasseye was

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Didn't really read through the thread apart from the opening post and the interview of course - but when all these 3rd wave feminists have is "who can be the biggest victim" angle and trying to twist everything into sexist nonsense then they are going to fail.

Also, I like the way she would pick out the smallest possible thing she perceived as sexist, but if she had an Imam on her show she would be all over him on how tolerant and progressive he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

B0jangles wrote:
    Isn't he the guy who thinks being asked to use a transgender person's preferred pronouns is oppression and a sign of the impending collapse of modern society?

He'd be right

This is the problem with labeling people incorrectly. She had an idea of him which was completely false and she carried it into the interview. People are using these labels to invalidate other people’s opinions that they don’t like but can’t debate.
    Bang on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Obviously it was going to be a one way massacre once things got going in that interview.

I've listened to his talks, heard him interviewed and read some stuff by him and I think he's a man with a lot of good things to say, but I still can't find myself warming to Jordan Peterson - I think he seems extremely self-righteous and arrogant.

B0jangles wrote: »

And to prove the posters point about false labels .... thank you.

Arghus wrote: »
    Obviously it was going to be a one way massacre once things got going in that interview.

I've listened to his talks, heard him interviewed and read some stuff by him and I think he's a man with a lot of good things to say, but I still can't find myself warming to Jordan Peterson - I think he seems extremely self-righteous and arrogant.

When he's dealing with ill prepared idiots would you blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Dante

It was at 22:50 that Cathy realised she fúcked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

B0jangles wrote:
    He makes his position quite clear in this one. He thinks his personal principals are more important than treating other people with basic respect and good manners.

As Been Sharpiro rightly says, if you call yourself a a man when you are clearly a woman or vice versa that's fine. But telling me that I have to do the same is wrong.(not verbatim)

If we all just follow along like sheep in this situation what we will have is a butt load of millennials constantly flip flopping genders for likes on social media while the actual real people with gender disphoria(sp) etc won't be any further along being accepted or considered normal as they should be.

EG. A man. John. John wants to be addressed as she. John does not want to be a woman (surgery) or even dress as a woman. John just wants to be addressed as she. John will still date woman, will still use male toilets, will still be in every way a male except he wants to be addressed as a she. This may sound ridiculous but I guarantee you that is happening somewhere in America right now.

This is the way the world is going thanks to all the PC bullsh1t and SJWs going around. Imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

"What gives you the right to say that?"

"I'm a clinical psychologist"

Advertisement