Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old fps games (Free/now free)

• 09-11-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I don't know how much this applies but i read that after a certain while if gaming companies don't renew licences or copyright that the game is pretty much free to copy/use.

I'm wondering are there any popular or used to be popular games that are free to run now (and with dedicated servers) or are free anyway. I don't know much about the older games or what spin offs/free versions there are.

The likes of counter strike, quake and unreal etc (all versions)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can play Quake 3 online for free through Quake Live. It gets a bit hazy when you get to abandonware. Alot of sites list games as abandonware when they aren't. Bungies Marathon games are abandonware and can be played with their adelph one emulator and downloaded from their site. The two hidden and dangerous games are free as well. Check out the free games sticky on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Daggerfall is a first person perspective, may not be your taste though ( I myself just couldn't get into it like I did Morrowind).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Sorry i should have stated: multiplayer and more of a guns not magic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,772 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Americas Army is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

CrossFire is another one...

Linkage : http://crossfire.z8games.com/index2.aspx

I think thats the link , thought it was SUBAGAMES though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm open to correction but isn't Tribes free now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you haven't played Battlefield Heroes yet then be ashamed
    http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/

actually just noticed from my own link that they are bringing out another free to play game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

FEAR Combat, the MP part of FEAR is free
    http://www.fearcombat.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but isn't Tribes free now?
    It would be quite pigheaded of you if you weren't! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

wolfric wrote: »
    I don't know how much this applies but i read that after a certain while if gaming companies don't renew licences or copyright that the game is pretty much free to copy/use.
    Do you know how long that "certain while" is? :-)
    http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise11.html
    Even if a company has ceased to exist the software is still under copyright.
    Basically the only ones you can legally play are the ones specifically stated as free by the copyright owner.
    No, I'm not actually uptight about piracy, I'm just telling you the facts in case you've a holy confession coming up or something. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It would be quite pigheaded of you if you weren't! :pac:

Perhaps, but it's been a while since I've heard anything about Tribes and some Boards members have a tendency to take things a little too seriously so I try to cover myself just in case. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Alliance of Valiant Arms is free to play and a cracking fps to boot.

Advertisement