Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Playaflow - u were hardly approached with a machete if he put it in his pocket. The machete would have sliced his trousers right down the leg if he tried to put it in his pocket. Unless he they were made of kevlar.

Kernal - i understand. Glasnevin is a nice area next to a kip - I live in a similar area. The Gardai know they will get attacked in the scumbag areas, so they come down the heavy on the kids in the nice areas. Happens all the time round here. Mind you, they kids round here arent angels, but they wouldnt mug ur granny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Im not just saying this- I love living in Glasnevin. Ive spent time in most parts of Dublin.
    Northside I like Phibsboro and Drumcondra.
    Southside I like Rathmines.

But where I live in Glasnevin its fairly quiet and people mind their own business. We have a nice park with strangely few scumbags. Theres lots of students from DCU about, they often help dilute the 13a. Generally though I dont think theres anywhere else Id like to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Lived in "Chapelizod" (really Ballyfermot down the end of Sarsfield Road) and nothing would make me go back.. car robbed twice, windows stoned nearly every night, apartment robbed and ransacked (sh1t on the bed etc)

That's where I live now! I haven't had any problems. I quite like the place although the 78A bus can be an interesting experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Sarsfield wrote:
    That's where I live now! I haven't had any problems. I quite like the place although the 78A bus can be an interesting experience!

I lived in The Steeples from 96 to 98. I'm delighted that you like it, maybe it has quietened down, but personally I thought it was the biggest dumping ground for knackers I've ever seen. My hubby ended up in hospital with a perforated ulcer from the stress caused by the scumbags bricking the place every night etc. You won't catch me even driving through the place now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'll stick to the areas around me (we're talking southside)

Dún Laoghaire is a ****ing hole and I hate it with a small passion. It's not as bad as what it used to be (or so I hear), and everyone thinks it grand now that they gave it a facelift. It's still a ****hole as far as I'm concerned

Ballybrack is fine now. Well, relatively speaking. The Three storeys and the surrounding council houses used to be no-go areas, but now they're getting knocked down and the area has calmed down quite a bit.

Sallynoggin - Seems alright, I got the **** kicked out of me on the 7, and the ****ers got off at Sallynoggin, so I have an immediate prejudice (If you like taking your life in your hands, go on the 7 and **** any other sort of thrill you might like to experience. A week after I got wrecked on it, a priest was beaten to a pulp. I absolutely hate Dublin Bus in general and avoid it like the plague)

Stillorgan isn't a nice place at night when it's only McDonalds open. There's security guards on duty there full time now I believe

Bray - I really don't like Bray. Just not a nice place, but it's not supposed to be all that bad.

Shankill - A bit dodgy. The road from Mace in Ballybrack to SuperValu in Shankill is lined with not-so-nice estates, especially the one beside the Dart station in Shankill.

Basically, and this is true, anywhere with council estated is or has the tendency to be bad. I'm not saying it's all bad people, but it's where alot of the bad people are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Funkstard wrote:
    Stillorgan isn't a nice place at night when it's only McDonalds open. There's security guards on duty there full time now I believe

Pahahah, dont worry about stilorgan, ever, at any time of day. They're all thicks,wannabes. They might look the part but thats about it. If you ever get any hassle,dont take it and just hit the first person closest to ya. His mates will run and you can proceed to kick the neck off the cheeky wee fecker!
    Those poor security guards tho, I feel sorry for them. They have to take the abuse and cant hit the bastads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Debyaka wrote:
    Jeasus mate you should have asked somebody from dublin to give you advice on where to get a place!
    You picked two right dumps by the sounds of things..
    Move to cabra the rent is cheap there its near town and phibsboro and its not as rough as it used to be!!

Yeah cabra is legend.I live in a nice little area, not very loud, not very quiet either.Worst that happens is the muppets at the end of the avenue spraying stuff on the wall.

Yeh I know, well the only time I venture into Stillorgan is when I'm at Bondi, so I'm bound to have a few of my friends there.

My friend got his nose broken outside Eddie Rockets a few months ago though. He got headbutted for absolutely no reason. There must be a few of them around if that happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Dathai wrote:
    Yeah cabra is legend.I live in a nice little area, not very loud, not very quiet either.Worst that happens is the muppets at the end of the avenue spraying stuff on the wall.

Oh my god i hate Cabra! I live beside there and im sick to death of all the little scum coming down to my area and breakin into cars and hangin around here causing trouble

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

AB03 wrote:
    Ballyfermot - I dunno, theres somthing about ballyer I dont like (probably the fact that I have to live there). Most bad areas I can deal with, but ballyer is different. The main street is a nightmare, bogeys everywhere at any time of day. Ive been living in ballyer for nearly a year and I still havent walked the length of it and probably wouldnt either.
    Le Fanu park is a no go area completely at night time. Wouldnt go near it if I was paid.

Are you sure you're talking about the same Ballyfermot that I'm thinking of?
    I feel your perception of the area is a little off. Sure Ballyfermot had a reputation in the past, but I really don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you paint it.
    The "bogeys" you mention hanging around on the main drag are just the local p!ssheads, who might bother you for change, but are frankly harmless in my opinion.
    And as for The Lawns (Le Fanu Park) being a no-go area, I have been walking my dogs there daily/nightly for years without incident whatsoever. Even on weekend nights when there are groups of drinkers scattered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Orla, where 'bouts do ye live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ashington. Only the other day there was a bunch of scum caught tryin to push my neighbours car out of the drive way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Samson - Id say yer probably right, although my fear of le fanu comes from some time last summer when I tried walkin thru it. Ive never seen such a gathering of heads in my life, at least 80-100 proper heads gathered over at the little concrete, err, box, over near the ballyer road end. I took a detour off over the pitches to avoid em. Maybe no danger, who knows, but I wasnt walkin thru that on my toblerone I tells ya.
    Its probably not like that every weekend, but I dunno, Im an alien around there who knows noone so I just keep my head down in general :)
    My opinion stays tho, the main st. is a bogey strip anytime of day. Maybe its just me cos I dont know anyone and Im not prepared to start makin mates around there, but thats my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

trinity college- its full of student scum- they'll cast a spell on you- theyre all grumpy because they have sore feet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the worst kip of them all....Lenster House,its full of scum,flit,thief's,low lifes and Mary Harney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

The worst area in Dublin is the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 msscarlet

The fact that Walkinstown is quiet does not mean that the drugs were not buried by a drug gang from Walkinstown!!! The fact that a car was stopped in Walkinstown could mean the driver was from Walkinstown. In fact it could have been someone from Templeogue or Terenure why did you say Crumlin etc?????
    Do you really believe that there is not a possiblity of a criminal from walkinstown.

In an earlier msg you went on about the house prices in Walkinstown saying they cost between 400K-500K and saying this kept the dole queue out. A lot of the houses in Walkinstown are rented out to people on rent allowance, it's the same in all so called 'private areas' where people on housing lists who cannot get council accommodation will get rent allowance from their local health board. Your neighbours could be on the dole queue, do you know for a fact that all your neighbours are the owners of the house in which they are living.

In my job I deal with lots of asylum seekers/refugees. They can live in some of the more prosperous areas of Dublin but they do not own these houses they are getting rent allowance from a Community Welfare Officer.

I have a friend who is a Community Welfare Officer the worst area she works in is Ballinteer and Rathmines. That's because there are more people from these areas on rent allowance. She says that the best to work in is Ballyfermot.

Everytime something bad happens in Dublin 12 doesn't matter if it's Kimmage, Drimnagh, Perrystown, Terenure(D.12 area), Walkinstown or Greenhills. The media will report that it happened in Crumlin. Thats because the Garda Station for these areas is in Crumlin.

You seem to think that Walkinstown is some sort of Utopia where all the people are nice, The bad people live outside Walkinstown. Just wish you'd wake up from the dream your having.
    Oh and by the way there are a lot of council houses in Walkinstown some people on the dole may have got them.

Crimes happen everywhere. It's a fact of life.

I was attacked once about 4 years ago by a 3 kids walking past the Black Church near Dorset Street. One of them had a stick up his jumper they blocked my path told me it was a gun, I just laughed then I attempted to keep on walking they grabbed hold of my jacket I was furious. It was only 7pm I just let a huge scream and whacked my bag at them. Was a bit shaken after that. But life goes on!!!
    I'm not saying it's the roughest are of Dublin as I walked past that area hundreds of times over the last 12 years have a friend lives in Broadstone. I never had any other incidents.

I lived on between Dolphins Barn and Rialto for a few years have to say the people in the area are fantastic. The community spirit in the area is second to none.Congrats to all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Ballymun.
      Summerhill.
      Tallaghfornia (Tallaght)
      Darndale
      Sutton can be dodgy...

The list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

You should go to www.langerland.com which has a few hilarious political Flash cartoons, the best of which is Batman and Robin starring Mary Harney and Bertie respectively - it's brilliant!!!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There was a housing estate in Quarryvale near Blanch,where my dad brought us to in the car that was like something in Iraq. A complete warzone. Houses boarded up left & right, fires burning on the foot paths, I kid you not! and he showed us the shop he used to deliever to.. I don't know how he even managed to get out of the van. Big shutters/bars on the windows, graffti all over the place and I think there were more shops but they all boarded up. Definately not a nice place to bring up kids.

The three stories in Ballybrack look like that now, they're getting knocked down in a while but for now they're all boarded up and burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You should go to www.langerland.com which has a few hilarious political Flash cartoons, the best of which is Batman and Robin starring Mary Harney and Bertie respectively - it's brilliant!!!
      That is the funniest thing I've seen in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

whatever you do , don't drink in Killinarden house or the furry bog in whitechurch - You will get shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

I heard they were gay bars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

msscarlet wrote:
      The fact that Walkinstown is quiet does not mean that the drugs were not buried by a drug gang from Walkinstown!!! The fact that a car was stopped in Walkinstown could mean the driver was from Walkinstown. In fact it could have been someone from Templeogue or Terenure why did you say Crumlin etc?????
      Do you really believe that there is not a possiblity of a criminal from walkinstown.

Ahhh Womoma, I see you've created a new identity to try to continue this argument. I know that nobody in Walkinstown was charged with burying the drugs, or that the guy driving the car was not from here either. I gave Crumlin as an example because it's a rougher area, and statistically speaking, the odds of it being someone from Templeogue/Terenure are a lot bigger than they are of the dealer being from Crumlin. I do believe it is possible to have criminals where I live, indeed I know of some, I'm saying that the area is better than many areas though.
      msscarlet wrote:
      In an earlier msg you went on about the house prices in Walkinstown saying they cost between 400K-500K and saying this kept the dole queue out. A lot of the houses in Walkinstown are rented out to people on rent allowance, it's the same in all so called 'private areas' where people on housing lists who cannot get council accommodation will get rent allowance from their local health board. Your neighbours could be on the dole queue, do you know for a fact that all your neighbours are the owners of the house in which they are living.

A huge number of the houses in my area are family owned, and not rented. I know, because I live there. There are corporation houses in Walkinstown, as there are in most (if not all) areas of Dublin, but they haven't been much of a problem (same families living there for decades), and are usually tucked away from the private houses.

msscarlet wrote:
      In my job I deal with lots of asylum seekers/refugees. They can live in some of the more prosperous areas of Dublin but they do not own these houses they are getting rent allowance from a Community Welfare Officer.

There are very few refugees I have ever seen around where I live, it's great. There are Chinese students etc. but that's never a social problem. At the end of the day, some landlords take social welfare, but most of the good and responsible ones do not. As I said, most of the houses in my area are privately owned and occupied by families.
      msscarlet wrote:
      Everytime something bad happens in Dublin 12 doesn't matter if it's Kimmage, Drimnagh, Perrystown, Terenure(D.12 area), Walkinstown or Greenhills. The media will report that it happened in Crumlin. Thats because the Garda Station for these areas is in Crumlin.

While it is true that the two local stations are in Crumlin, the news reports will always say that 'a man was arrested in Walkinstown/Drimnagh" or whatever, rather than Crumlin. Drimnagh shares the same stations as us, but that's been all over the news in the last couple of years.
      msscarlet wrote:
      You seem to think that Walkinstown is some sort of Utopia where all the people are nice, The bad people live outside Walkinstown. Just wish you'd wake up from the dream your having.
      Oh and by the way there are a lot of council houses in Walkinstown some people on the dole may have got them.

Crimes happen everywhere. It's a fact of life.

Of course, I agree that crimes happen everywhere, and I'm certainly not naive enough to think that it couldn't happen where I live. My point has always been that certain areas are predisposed to high levels of crime and social problems (ie. kips), and when you (or another poster) questioned me on where I live, I shared that information. My area is great, it's lovely, I like it. It's not as upmarket as Dalkey, but it sure isn't a kip like Ballymun/Finglas either. That's my point... it's not so much about where I live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I feel I'm pretty qualified to answer this question!

Throughout my life I have lived in St Teresa's Gardens (someone called it newmarket area behind cork street, same place). Dolphins Barn and Inchicore (currently). I'm not partically a hardman but wouldnt be afriad to say something back if someone was taking the piss. I havnt gotten much hassel in any of those three areas.That said I have seen some crazy stuff in the barn and inchciore.

Jobstown in Tallagh is the wild west. I got lost up the dublin mountins one night and had to walk 2 hours down the mountin and I came out into jobstown I have never seen _anything_ like it. I felt safer in a very run down area of brooklyn where I stayed with a friend a few summers ago and a couple of weeks I spent in Morroco with some less than upstanding people...)

Its nearlly impossible to say which is the worst. And maybe i'm biased becuase of living in the dolphins barn and inchicore area for a long peroid of time but I dont believe that these are contenders against some area's of finglas or jobstown for example. Its all really person opinoion and expeiences.

Just my .02 cents

ChRoMe

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In front og the GPO. Damn lefties always set up camp there:mad:

Isn't West Dublin supposed to be absolute Bandit country?

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

The Scribblestown Road end of Finglas, near the dump, is definitely the worst area than I'm aware of.

As regards West Dublin, depends on the area, some areas fine, others are rough, overall I think it has improved since the onset of the "Celtic Tiger".

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement