Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That was extremely heavy rain, woke me up also around 04:30,I thought I left the window open.
    Power went also anybody know if there was any lighting activity at the time.
    Co Kildare.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a very wet day on the cards for the NE as the front stalls and pivots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

ZX7R wrote: »
    That was extremely heavy rain, woke me up also around 04:30,I thought I left the window open.
    Power went also anybody know if there was any lighting activity at the time.
    Co Kildare.

It was indeed very heavy. Woke me up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright here in Castlebar at the moment. Showers about though,with high cloud tops.perhsps some thunder in those by the coast as the day goes on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Same here near Tralee heavy rain overnight and got quite windy gusting to 63 km/h

Big showers going through his morning, last one with hail in it. Some bright sky at times but loads of showery looking clouds steaming in off the sea.

AWS says 8mm but i think it might be more than that, must check the gauge for leaves!

8.1C atm

7NJjHGU.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been out to get turf in. It is stacked against the north ocean facing gable end of the old cottage.

The wind has ice on its breath and takes the breath from us. The ocean is a mass of whipped up white struggling might.

A glorious beauty and power. But not the weather to be outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The midlands/north of England really is getting a massive amount of rain these days.

2YzFq.jpg

and continuing this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 09/11/19
    0t6DDMB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Roused from blissful slumber by a dozen or more drummers drumming on the roof... loud and obnoxious!

West mayo

Sorry Grace, couldn't resist ;) Has Christmas come early? :)

'Day Nine
    Listen you looser!
    There's enough pandemonium in this place night and day without nine drummers drumming, while the eight flaming maids-a-milking are beating my poor, old alcoholic mother out of her own kitchen and gobbling everything in sight
    I'm warning you, you're making an enemy of me
    Gobnait'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Louth

Heavy persistent rainfall today with 20mm possible. After recent heavy rainfall and with water levels elevated, some flooding may occur.

Valid: today 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Roused from blissful slumber by a dozen or more drummers drumming on the roof... loud and obnoxious!

West mayo

Were there pipers piping and lords a leaping there as well?;)

Naggdefy wrote: »

'Day Nine
    Listen you looser!
    There's enough pandemonium in this place night and day without nine drummers drumming, while the eight flaming maids-a-milking are beating my poor, old alcoholic mother out of her own kitchen and gobbling everything in sight
    Gobnait'

lol! It never occurred to me! Love your version of that carol! For the chuckle, thanks....

Were there pipers piping and lords a leaping there as well?;)

Nah.. the ferryman was abed by then and they had not booked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

'Day Nine
    Listen you looser!
    Gobnait'

Thanks for reminding me of this..just googled Frank Kelly's 12 days of Christmas and had a listen. Hadn't heard it in years. Cheered me up on a cold wet day in West Limerick. Mind you, in between showers there's blue skies and sunshine.

lol! It never occurred to me! Love your version of that carol! For the chuckle, thanks....

You're welcome Grace, I always enjoy your posts and command of language. Fair play to you living so remote. A forum like this is a nice connection for you. My 86 year old mam lives alone in hilly country,often snowed in so I have an idea how things get tougher by the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Louth

Heavy persistent rainfall today with 20mm possible. After recent heavy rainfall and with water levels elevated, some flooding may occur.

Valid: today 12:00 noon to 6:00 pm

Is there a warning for louth? Dont see it on the website, i'm close to the louth border, will let ye know if the rain stops right on the border line, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Is there a warning for louth? Dont see it on the website, i'm close to the louth border, will let ye know if the rain stops right on the border line, lol

Met eireann having some problems with their website and app,thats why the warnings are not showing,looking at the radar and it looks like an awful day in the north east

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah, they said to use archive.met.ie for the time being for warnings.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1193184020386979842

You're welcome Grace, I always enjoy your posts and command of language. Fair play to you living so remote. A forum like this is a nice connection for you. My 86 year old mam lives alone in hilly country,often snowed in so I have an idea how things get tougher by the year.

Thanks and yes to all you say. We get so much more weather out here than anywhere else....

I am fine; I have good supply lines now and good folk here. The first winter I was here I had no ESB and I think they thought I would quit. Heard one neighbour tell another, " We realised that this one isn't soft but a but tough!" Best compliment I ever had..

Give my wishes to your mam!

Meanwhile that last heavy shower was hail here... Some very ominous clouds scudding in now. No good with tech stuff but observation and experience..

• Advertisement

North Wales this morning
    NwfM24e.jpg

m17 wrote: »
    North Wales this morning
    NwfM24e.jpg

Oh how utterly lovely! WOW! Yearning..

Thanks and yes to all you say. We get so much more weather out here than anywhere else....

I am fine; I have good supply lines now and good folk here. The first winter I was here I had no ESB and I think they thought I would quit. Heard one neighbour tell another, " We realised that this one isn't soft but a but tough!" Best compliment I ever had..

Give my wishes to your mam!

Meanwhile that last heavy shower was hail here... Some very ominous clouds scudding in now. No good with tech stuff but observation and experience..

No problem Grace. Sometimes us younger folk (I'm 43) lose sight of the fact that weather that mightn't unduly stress us at a younger age is a different kettle of fish as you get older. I know on occassion I might get a bit dismissive and brusque, without really thinking. So apologies for any time I've done so.

I just see my mam, sometimes without heat on when I head home, and the heat leaves her body so much more quickly than 20 years ago.

Weather today in Laois is windy and raw. Plenty of showers. Back home yesterday it maxed around 3.5C so certainly a feel of early winter. Reminds me of November 1996.

Tuam Co galway 09/11/19
    CqOyghN.jpg

F5QXGdA.jpg

xLzR9bF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Met eireann having some problems with their website and app,thats why the warnings are not showing

Ah right, didnt know that, no rain if any, didnt make it across into meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well its official winter today in North County Dublin brrrrrrrrr.

A wind that would cut you in two all day, freezing + lashing rain from afternoon onwards. Miserable.

Thankfully it's a cosy Saturday night at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

appledrop wrote: »
    Well its official winter today in North County Dublin brrrrrrrrr.

A wind that would cut you in two all day, freezing + lashing rain from afternoon onwards. Miserable.

Thankfully it's a cosy Saturday night at home.

Some interesting rainfall stats for this month:

Dublin Airport has had 59.3mm of rain up to yesterday so far this month, 17.6mm than all of October.

Also wetter than January and February this year combined, more than two times the rainfall in January and about double February's rainfall.

This figure is also higher than May and July's rainfall.

Similar story with Phoenix Park and Casement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Max gust of 70kmh at my station in Arklow today
    Now that felt cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Some interesting rainfall stats for this month:

Dublin Airport has had 59.3mm of rain up to yesterday so far this month, 17.6mm than all of October.

Also wetter than January and February this year combined, more than two times the rainfall in January and about double February's rainfall.

This figure is also higher than May and July's rainfall.

Similar story with Phoenix Park and Casement.

The Dublin stations are at or above the totals for last year already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The Dublin stations are at or above the totals for last year already.

I'm below by a good bit!

Advertisement