Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What wheels to buy for A4 racing?

• 08-01-2019 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to invest in a new set of deep-section carbon wheels in advance of the new racing season (A4 category). Anyone any recommendations that won't totally break the bank? ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rim or disc brake? Clincher or tub?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The Prime deep section wheels on Wiggle seem quite good without breaking the bank. Don’t buy something you can’t afford to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

If I were to race A4 I wouldn’t race anything carbon for fear of destroying it. Aluminium all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Budget?

ba wrote: »
    If I were to race A4 I wouldn’t race anything carbon for fear of destroying it. Aluminium all the way.

Race-ist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Deep section with alu rims would be ideal but tbh I'd invest in getting good legs before wheels.

Legs win races wheels make good pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Round ones. What dahat said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

trawl the second hand market. some lads here have some great wheels from time to time. put up a request with your price bracket in cycling adverts and see what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Has the world changed? Nobody has mentioned 'Zonda'!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Spend the money on a Power Meter and a Coach and you'll get more value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Don't mind them, nice wheels are always great.

I own hand built carbons but if buying again would try (as mentioned above) prime. Specifically

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/prime-rr-50-v2-carbon-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod166641?mx=a

Prices can vary on this set with CRC, there was a great price on them a few months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would disagree with some of the comments. Good wheels are one of the best investments you can make.

On the same note, I agree with the point that get fitter and faster first, or else you'll never notice the improvement.

For A4, set of Askiums to start of with, cheap, cheerful, and can be sold on for half price when you get upgraded.

On the same note, I dropped some money on a set of Hunt Race wheels but I am a fool with money, and you get the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

To at best hang on with the bunch on a flat course you would at least need a set of Lightweight Meilensteins.

sullzz wrote: »
    To at best hang on with the bunch on a flat course you would at least need a set of Lightweight Meilensteins.

At the beginning of the season you'd probably need a motor based on the speed some A4 races have started at over the last few years

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd preface this with the usual advice that nobody needs deep section carbon wheels for A4 racing.

However, if you want them, I'd say a lot of circuits can be a bit rough and that racing is hard on wheels, i.e. you see less potholes in a bunch and have less chance to avoid them if you do. With that in mind, buy something with a reputation for durability.

In terms of makeup, I'd either buy all carbon tubs or clinchers with an aluminium rim and carbon fairing. Aside from the rim heat issues on carbon clinchers, I wouldn't fancy dealing with any flatting situation where the rim is making contact with the edge of a pothole.

Also, be sure to buy something that you can get spare parts for, i.e. something built with generic spokes or hubs or, if proprietary, something where spares are easily acquirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would disagree with some of the comments. Good wheels are one of the best investments you can make.

On the same note, I agree with the point that get fitter and faster first, or else you'll never notice the improvement.

For A4, set of Askiums to start of with, cheap, cheerful, and can be sold on for half price when you get upgraded.

On the same note, I dropped some money on a set of Hunt Race wheels but I am a fool with money, and you get the rest.

Hunt race wheels? The sound alone makes them worthwhile..... I'll listen out for you somewhere this year!

Aside from the rim heat issues on carbon clinchers, I wouldn't fancy dealing with any flatting situation where the rim is making contact with the edge of a pothole.

I melted my carbon clinchers on a wet non-racing descent of Red Lane, a particularly nasty technical descent.

Before that, however, they did loads of racing without a bother, including big descents.

So I wouldn't share your concern about heat build up, not in a race anyway. There's just not that kind of braking.

I do agree with the "oh **** I need to stop before I wreck my expensive wheels" limitation of clinchers, though I'm not sure that's much worse with carbon. If you bang a lightweight alloy rim on a pothole with a flat tyre, it's not going to handle that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    ....Good wheels are one of the best investments you can make....
    Unless you are going to win a shit load of prize money, I can't see how they would be considered an 'investment'.

Unless you are going to win a shit load of prize money, I can't see how they would be considered an 'investment'.

I see going faster and looking good as the payout. If your in racing for the money and your still A4, then you have made a bad investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Lumen wrote: »
    Rim or disc brake? Clincher or tub?

Rim brakes and clinchers. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I intend to dip my toe in A4 racing next year and following a good bit of research will upgrade to Zondas. They should be well placed to take the intensity of the 220+ watts I’ll be destroying fields with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

awnow wrote: »

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I'd use good wheels for racing, regardless of the risk damaging them or not. Bit of a waste to use good wheels on sportives or group rides for sure, makes zero difference there. Big fan of Zondas.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    I do agree with the "oh **** I need to stop before I wreck my expensive wheels" limitation of clinchers, though I'm not sure that's much worse with carbon. If you bang a lightweight alloy rim on a pothole with a flat tyre, it's not going to handle that either.

I agree, alloy isn't indestructible and I've trashed an alloy rim on a pothole before. But I still think it's sturdier than carbon in these situations and usually cheaper to replace.

As a guy I cycled with once said to me, there is no point in having it if your not going to use it. He was referring to people buying jerseys they had no intention of wearing but the same principle applies.

awnow wrote: »

Campagnolo Bullet or Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Get the deepest section, most expensive wheels you can. Then change your name by deed poll to Fred as that's what you will be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Trying to find the best lightweight set of wheels at bargain myself at the moment, ive come across cero wheels, these AR24 EVO's look very impressive for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I have a set of magic cosmic carbones, went from A4 TO A2 solely because of the investment......Looking to buy a giant advanced pro to get me to A1.......it's literally impossible to move up the ranks on bad gear man, you know...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

keoclassic wrote: »
    I have a set of magic cosmic carbones, went from A4 TO A2 solely because of the investment......Looking to buy a giant advanced pro to get me to A1.......it's literally impossible to move up the ranks on bad gear man, you know...........

Yeah, they're much better than the Mavic ones.

Advertisement