Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unlocking Nexus One

Options
  • 25-04-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I'm browsing eBay for a Nexus One and wondering if I can unlock one tied into a contract from overseas or do I need to make sure I buy a SIM free one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Nexus One is never locked, even if bought on a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I'm curious as this seller lists the phone as "WORKS IN AUSTRALIA BUT NOT WITH MY CONTRACT".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

thread moved to andriod sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

LA3G wrote: »
    I'm curious as this seller lists the phone as "WORKS IN AUSTRALIA BUT NOT WITH MY CONTRACT".

I think that's because the network he is on uses different bands to the cellular radio in the Nexus One.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    I think that's because the network he is on uses different bands to the cellular radio in the Nexus One.

Will all Nexus One phones work in Ireland/Europe or do I need to watch out for specific bands?

Short answer: yes, every version (except the upcoming CDMA version for Verzion and Sprint) will work in Ireland.

Long version: All current Nexus One will work in 2G (GSM/EDGE) practically everywhere in the world, as they are quad-band. For 3G, there are two versions, one that supports 900/1700/2100 MHz, another that supports 850/1900/2100 MHz. Ireland uses 2100 MHz for 3G, so both work. AT&T in the US uses 850/1900 while T-Mobile in the US uses 1700, that's why there are two versions. The 850/1900 version is better because more countries outside of Europe use 850/1900 3G frequencies (for example parts of South America), while 1700 is only used by T-Mobile in US and Rogers in Canada.

blaz wrote: »
    Long version: All current Nexus One will work in 2G (GSM/EDGE) practically everywhere in the world, as they are quad-band. For 3G, there are two versions, one that supports 900/1700/2100 MHz, another that supports 850/1900/2100 MHz. Ireland uses 2100 MHz for 3G, so both work. AT&T in the US uses 850/1900 while T-Mobile in the US uses 1700, that's why there are two versions. The 850/1900 version is better because more countries outside of Europe use 850/1900 3G frequencies (for example parts of South America), while 1700 is only used by T-Mobile in US and Rogers in Canada.

Thanks.

Short answer: yes, every version (except the upcoming CDMA version for Verzion and Sprint) will work in Ireland.

And when somebody replies to me "GSM 900 and 1800 bands 3G networks" when asked whether 900/1700/2100 MHz or 850/1900/2100 MHz does this mean it's the former or is his answer totally irrelevant?

The item is listed:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network Type: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EDGE, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, GSM 850, GSM 900, HSDPA, HSUPA, UMTS[/FONT]

but I cannot discern from that which of the two 3G options you mentioned it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Both GSM versions of the Nexus One work in Ireland.

• Advertisement

LA3G wrote: »
    And when somebody replies to me "GSM 900 and 1800 bands 3G networks" when asked whether 900/1700/2100 MHz or 850/1900/2100 MHz does this mean it's the former or is his answer totally irrelevant?

Then he is probably American and confused :) There is no such thing as "GSM 3G".
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Network Type: [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EDGE, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, GSM 850, GSM 900, HSDPA, HSUPA, UMTS[/FONT]

but I cannot discern from that which of the two 3G options you mentioned it is?

The above info doesn't tell you. It tells you that it is 2G quad-band (850/900/1800/1900), that it supports EDGE, that it supports 3G (UMTS) and that is has high-speed 3G download (HSDPA) and upload (HSUPA). It doesn't tell you what frequencies the 3G part uses, but as I said, all version of the Nexus One support 2100 MHz for 3G, which is what is used in Ireland.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Both GSM versions of the Nexus One work in Ireland.
    It doesn't tell you what frequencies the 3G part uses, but as I said, all version of the Nexus One support 2100 MHz for 3G, which is what is used in Ireland.

Yes, this I am aware of because I did read that when it was posted initially but...
    The 850/1900 version is better because more countries outside of Europe use 850/1900 3G frequencies (for example parts of South America), while 1700 is only used by T-Mobile in US and Rogers in Canada.

I also read the 850/1900/2100 MHz will work in more places and I want to make sure I get that version for travelling and resale value :)

I saw one go for €404 new today and I've only been monitoring the market a day.

Thanks for the extra info.

Listed on one of the sellers page already asked by another buyer:
    Q: Hi, 1. Is that T-Mobile or at&t version of the phone (meaning what 3G bands are supported)?
    A: Hi! Some answers to your questions. 1. The phone was a gift from Google so I don't know if it's a T-mobile or AT&T version.

Surely there must be some way to easily discern this?

Advertisement