Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Bizarre
    L1011 wrote: »
    Some would probably say Def Leppard are close to playing cemeteries anyway!
    :D Nope. Joe Elliot won’t be 60 until next year. The band is still huge in the US and has sold more than 100 million albums. Not bizarre, but Hysteria ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

What does the l or L refer to on each address? Is it a value of the property or business as in L,S,D,
    or pounds, shillings & pence?

It's impossible not to notice there are 5 comb manufacturers between numbers 48 and 55 of this street, which is Pill Lane. I'd be curious to know when was the last year a comb manufacturer existed as a business, given that it was such a thriving business, 5 existed on the one street.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definitely pounds, its the rateable valuation; Thoms (that is what that directory became) continued that until very late in its printing history, even beyond the death of domestic rates.

I've skim-read an entire Thoms Street Directory (1986), most of another (1965) and far too much of one of the full Commercial Directories (1943) in my non-genealogical research. Could recognise that layout anywhere!

I actually use the valuation as a way to pick out a possible pub from a street, they were always valued much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Is it just my internet or is Findmypast currently not working?

Everything else seems to be working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Is it just my internet or is Findmypast currently not working?

Everything else seems to be working fine

It's working fine for me using Chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hadn't used Find My Past today but Roots Ireland, Family Search and Irish News Archive all gave trouble today.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Hadn't used Find My Past today but Roots Ireland, Family Search and Irish News Archive all gave trouble today.

I also noticed Irish News archive and Ancestry wouldnt work for me yesterday.

All seems ok again today!

My partner mentioned she saw something on Twitter about 3 having technical issues yesterday.
    I wonder would that explain it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    My partner mentioned she saw something on Twitter about 3 having technical issues yesterday.
    I wonder would that explain it?

I too have been using three so that could be it. It would explain why it wasnt working on my phone (whilst using 3 data) and on my laptop (while using 3 wifi)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Does anyone know of a good online genealogy course?

• Advertisement

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good online genealogy course?

Future Learn do a free course: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy#section-dates

It started on 21st January but you can join now. I did it since it's free and there's nothing to lose. I'm not sure if I learned a whole pile from it but it's probably good for beginners since it is teaching the basics. There are certain things that I may refer back to in the future. It has probably been updated since I did it. The course lasts six weeks. It gives a description of topics covered on the website.

srmf5 wrote: »
    Future Learn do a free course: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy#section-dates

It started on 21st January but you can join now. I did it since it's free and there's nothing to lose. I'm not sure if I learned a whole pile from it but it's probably good for beginners since it is teaching the basics. There are certain things that I may refer back to in the future. It has probably been updated since I did it. The course lasts six weeks. It gives a description of topics covered on the website.

Thanks greatly srmf5, I shall look into it directly :)

I ADORE GENEALOGY :D........just sayin' :pac:

(what little I know of it :o is great fun in discovery)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Me too.... it's a wonderfully hobby that has happily taken over my life.... meeting a relation tomorrow for the first time after many email conversations.... new friends....... it brings me so much happiness

How wonderful JDERIC, have a lovely visit! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's fun - I love meeting the distant cousins. Pro-tip - meeting for lunch, not dinner, then you have an excuse to leave if necessary!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Afternoon all!

My sub to find my past and roots Ireland are up and was thinking of subscribing for the year, does anyone think there will be special offers nearer St Patrick's day?

Definitely wait! I'd say they'll release some nice deals in the next few days. Keep an eye on Claire Santry's blog too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Definitely wait! I'd say they'll release some nice deals in the next few days. Keep an eye on Claire Santry's blog too.

Will do, I always have Claire's tweets alert on my phone :D

I've decided to post in the off topic chat instead of the Irish Genealogy Records thread to avoid multiple heartattacks and unnecessary hope!!!

But, its coming to the end of March soon, which is what I, personally would consider "early" in the year !! 😅 I just hope the people in charge of posting the records think like me 😬 I'm hoping for an upload hopefully during the Easter weekend !

• Advertisement

Good call posting here.
    I agree the end of March is the end of "early" and I was today just cursing not being able to view a 1918 birth for free yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

While I would heartily concur that the end of March is the end of what reasonably might be considered early in the new year, I fear that those responsible for the Irish Genealogy website may have a much more fluid view of the matter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I got 100% Ireland and Scotland In my test, I take that with a pinch of salt as there is obviously Scandinavian ancestry too via the Gallowglass settlers in Ulster. I'm not having much luck with the cousin matches though, I can only see a few who seem legit then you can't even message them anyway as they don't have memberships. Here in the lough Neagh shore Philadelphia was a common place to go to, I bet 1 in 3 Irish-Americans in Philadelphia have some Derry, Tyrone or Donegal ancestry.

I'm not having much luck with the cousin matches though, I can only see a few who seem legit then you can't even message them anyway as they don't have memberships.

You can message matches who don't have a subscription. It's just that if you don't have a subscription, you can't initiate the contact but you can reply if someone else has reached out to you.

Srmf5 is right, but I also think Ancestry doesn't email you if you're off-sub and get messages, so you have to log in to see them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I always did get emails about new messages when I didn't have a subscription. Actually I don't think you need a subscription to contact DNA matches. It's only if you were to contact someone who you found after searching for family trees in the database.

Hmm, it's a long time since I didn't have an Ancestry sub but it could have changed. DNA matches can contact each other definitely.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Question if I may, before Glasnevin cemetery opened where would catholics have been buried? Are there any online records? Thanks.

Could be anywhere. CoI church yards. Some Dublin records online at irishgenealogy.ie - south and north county on Rootsireland.

No complete coverage - just check the usual grave websites.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks will do. Hitting a wall in my search in the late 1700s.

Advertisement