Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have an old Iphone 4 I can use I think. So I get the 12GB and just use it as a hotspot for the whole trip. Seems like a reasonable plan. Just need to stop all the apps on my Galaxy auto updating because they think its Wifi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

errlloyd wrote: »
    I have an old Iphone 4 I can use I think. So I get the 12GB and just use it as a hotspot for the whole trip. Seems like a reasonable plan. Just need to stop all the apps on my Galaxy auto updating because they think its Wifi

You could also put it directly in the Galaxy if it is unlocked and put your Irish Sim in the iPhone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

bk wrote: »

You could also put it directly in the Galaxy if it is unlocked and put your Irish Sim in the iPhone 4

Yeah, but I'd need to buy one of those sim adapters. Gs7 and iPhone sims are different sizes. Probably best plan though. It'd be a better screen for GPS and the works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, but I'd need to buy one of those sim adapters. Gs7 and iPhone sims are different sizes. Probably best plan though. It'd be a better screen for GPS and the works too.

You can buy these for a euro or two on amazon or in places like Dealz, also probably phone shops, but might be a little more expensive.

No, they would be locked to T-Mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.

I have a 3 Ireland mifi will this work with it does anyone know. Otherwise it's into the second slot in my op3 with it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've an OP3T as well so that would work but I'm looking at the thing about It will work in a 4G area. Does that mean it won't work in a 3G, E or H area(or similar) and only work on 4G or is it just like here? It will work on the best network that's available?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭smilgy

When I needed one, Vodafone in Dundrum gave me an adapter for free.

sioda wrote: »
    I have a 3 Ireland mifi will this work with it does anyone know. Otherwise it's into the second slot in my op3 with it

It would need to be unlocked. I assume it isn't, but you might be able to get it unlocked.
    Berty wrote: »
    I've an OP3T as well so that would work but I'm looking at the thing about It will work in a 4G area. Does that mean it won't work in a 3G, E or H area(or similar) and only work on 4G or is it just like here? It will work on the best network that's available?

4G is fully backwards compatible, that means it will work fully on areas where only 3G, E, H, etc. are present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I use at&t gophone - $45 for a month of 6gb high speed data, dropping to slower speeds after that, unlimited national calls and texts and unlimited international texts.

When I top up by the $45 I then have 5 months after that again to top up before the number expires so it suits me well as I go at least once every 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

IF you don't need data AND you just want to be able to call and receive calls from Ireland, just port your number over to Lycamobile. Their €15 Ireland Plus plan lets you use your calls and texts (both unlimited to Irish landlines and mobiles) when roaming, for free.

They're also doing a deal for new customers at the moment where you get 50% the Ireland Plus plan (for one month I imagine?). So that's €7.50 for as many calls and texts to and from Ireland as you like.
    My daughter is on Lycamobile already.

If I make sure she's topped up when we go, we can use her phone to ring Ireland and text for free? Sounds too easy. Does that include landlines?

Pity her 30Gb data isn't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Incl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.

Would this one be better? 12gb data and plenty of calls and texts and cheaper! Ha
    https://m.mymemory.co.uk/product?p=47257

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

whiteley91 wrote: »
    Would this one be better? 12gb data and plenty of calls and texts and cheaper! Ha

Do you have to already have a contract/payg sim with 3 for these to work or can anyone use them?

pm1977x wrote: »
    Do you have to already have a contract/payg sim with 3 for these to work or can anyone use them?

I think it's essentially a burner sim card? Buy it and when it's expired just throw it away. There's no contract or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I think it's essentially a burner sim card? Buy it and when it's expired just throw it away. There's no contract or anything like that.

Perfect, thanks.

Not really, it only lasts 30 days. And the calls and texts are to the UK, not Ireland.

If you go abroad just once a year, I suppose that could be ok. But the advantage of the one that I linked to is that it lasts 12 months. So if you go abroad a few times a year, you can use it each time, in which case it would work out a lot cheaper then the above.

I considered that £20 for the US but with Parcel Wizard(or similar) charges and currency conversion and the 30 day thing it's nearly better just to get the T-Mobile 30 day plan when I get there for $30, dump the sim when I'm flying home.

Berty wrote: »
    I considered that £20 for the US but with Parcel Wizard(or similar) charges and currency conversion and the 30 day thing it's nearly better just to get the T-Mobile 30 day plan when I get there for $30, dump the sim when I'm flying home.

Errr, again, the card I linked to lasts for 12 months, not 30 days! And it works in 48 countries. So you can use it on multiple trips.

Also no need for parcelmotel, etc. mymemory deliver directly to Ireland.

I paid €29, including postage for it.

I've been abroad and used my card 3 times in the last 6 months, all in for €29 or to put it another way €10 per trip in 6 months and I'm sure I'll get more use out of it by the end of 12 months.

For T-Mobile you would be looking at paying €36 (including sales tax) and I would have had to pay that three times that (€108) if I had did as you say.

Also there is a real value in getting it all sorted before you go, swapping the sim on the plane and stepping off the plane with a working phone, that you can immediately text family friends at home to let them know you have arrived, let friends you are visiting know that you've landed, order an uber, check public transport directions, google maps, etc. to get to your hotel.

Also who wants to be wasting time on holidays in the US driving around looking for a walmart, shudder, I've better things to do on holidays.

Maybe it would be ok if you are a once a year only traveller. But IME for regular and semi-regular travellers, this card is priceless. And I think saving the effort before hand makes it still well worth it for even a once a year traveller.

Does the data only sim card allow you to receive calls? I was mainly getting it for use with uber when in the states and I think you need a phone number for it. The driver normally rings you so if the 12 month data only sim allowed incoming calls it would be perfect!

Does the data only sim card allow you to receive calls? I was mainly getting it for use with uber when in the states and I think you need a phone number for it. The driver normally rings you so if the 12 month data only sim allowed incoming calls it would be perfect!

Good question, I'm not 100% certain. It does look like it has a UK number. But as I mentioned above I normally put my Irish SIM in a second phone and I leave Uber set to that number, so when they ring they call my Irish phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Good question, I'm not 100% certain. It does look like it has a UK number. But as I mentioned above I normally put my Irish SIM in a second phone and I leave Uber set to that number, so when they ring they call my Irish phone.

Unlikely that you could receive calls I'd say. Purely dats.

BK, just a quick question: you probably have not had the need to as yet but assuming you ate the 12gb on that three U.K. Card that you got from mymemoryik, could you top it up online with Irish bank card while in th U.S?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Any idea if it lasts a whole year every time you top up with that one BK?

I'm actually thinking to use it for different purposes, to have it in a vehicle for GPS/Tracking/Photo feed etc, €29 for a full year of data without having to give it any attention with monthly top ups is pretty good, then if going away it's there if you need it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have to work in the UK for a couple of weeks in May... would that three uk sim that's been mentioned be the best sim to get while I'm there?

Need calls to Ireland and data for maps etc. while I'm there. I have an unlocked phone.

Thanks for any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Access wrote: »
    I have to work in the UK for a couple of weeks in May... would that three uk sim that's been mentioned be the best sim to get while I'm there?

Need calls to Ireland and data for maps etc. while I'm there. I have an unlocked phone.

Thanks for any ideas.

You can't make regular calls with this one. It's purely for data, so you'd have to call via what's app, Viber FaceTime or the like.

Thanks for any ideas.

Maybe the business unlimited plan here would suit you?

https://business.eir.ie/shop/shop-bundles/sim-mobile/

Maps won't use too much data and it's 1gb a month, you don't need to worry about using a new number or carrying a second phone. You need to be a registered business to sign up though, but you don't have to be VAT registered.

dodzy wrote: »
    BK, just a quick question: you probably have not had the need to as yet but assuming you ate the 12gb on that three U.K. Card that you got from mymemoryik, could you top it up online with Irish bank card while in th U.S?

No, not with an Irish card, but it looks like you can with a Revolut card, which is tagged as a "UK" card.

Revolut card is free anyway and pretty brilliant for travel, a must have IMO.
    cormie wrote: »
    Any idea if it lasts a whole year every time you top up with that one BK?

I'm actually thinking to use it for different purposes, to have it in a vehicle for GPS/Tracking/Photo feed etc, €29 for a full year of data without having to give it any attention with monthly top ups is pretty good, then if going away it's there if you need it too :)

Good question, I'm not certain, but I think it does work for another year.

However it won't work for what you are thinking of. If you use it in Ireland for more then two months constantly, then they can deactivate it as they realise you aren't really in the UK.

Well the one I link to is Data only. No calls and texts. You would need to use whastapp or similar to do texts and voice over IP calls back to Ireland.

One option for you would be to do the following:
    - Get this Three UK data sim and use it in your primary phone.
    - Move your Irish number to lycamobile and sign up to their €15 per month Ireland Plus plan (€7.50 for the first month at the moment).

This plan gives you free calls and texts back to Ireland for free when roaming in the UK (but not data). and it also gives you a virtual UK number so that people in the UK can call and text you.

You could then use your lycamobile sim in a second phone or a dual sim phone if you have one.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

BTW if you want to avoid the trouble of two sims, you can buy 1GB of roaming data for use in the UK for €12 on the above lyca sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

When travelling in the UK have a 3 mifi which I load with credit and keep in my pocket gives data and use irish one for calls and texts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Christ, why didn't I see this thread before I went away last year to the states for 3 weeks. The €400 phone bill was a serious shock to the system when I got it.

Good question, I'm not certain, but I think it does work for another year.

However it won't work for what you are thinking of. If you use it in Ireland for more then two months constantly, then they can deactivate it as they realise you aren't really in the UK.

Ah what a pity! I think Meteor had some decent data plan for 3 months too which might have to do so!

• Advertisement

I bought the 12 months 12GB option as I've dual Sim on my phone so can continue to use my Irish Sim at the same time. Deactivate Roaming on one and Activate roaming on the other.

£1.95 shipping to Ireland which is okay. Still cheaper than using a Virtual Address

Advertisement