Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-Working and home workers Claim

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The 8 days for 25 looks like the 3.20 being paid.

IMO the easiest thing to do is claim it for each work day.
    You will only be able to claim a small % of your BB/heating/etc.
    You need to do the math, keep the basis of the claim for 6 years and hope they don't come ask.
    If you claim too much they will know as they have years of data.
    The other point is you will need to wait till 21 to claim it in your 20 return.

I would just take the 3.20 and keep going.
    Its tax free and is paid now
    3.2 for 22 days say is 70.40

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Hey Folks

Just going to jump in with a question or two as well.

Currently i work from home 2 days a week and receive a payment in my payslip each month for the 8 or so days a month I work from home, usually works out at around €25 or so - it is tax free etc.

I am now working from home 5 days a week due to the CoronaVirus, so I may look to see if I can get 5 days payments, but the hoops I will have to go through in work to get this sorted nearly puts me off it.

Just in relation to the tax relief, assuming I was just working from home 2 days a week and getting €25 a month, would I be anyway better off getting tax relief instead on monthly broadband, electricity, heat bills?

What is an estimated amount in tax relief you would get for a typical month for electricity, heat, broadband?

Thanks for your help :)

Whatever hoops you have to go through in work to receive a tax-free payment, are certainly less than the obligation on you to calculate your tax relief and retain appropriate records.

Think about it logically - how much ADDITIONAL electricity are you using to actually perform your duties at home? A light bulb for X hours a day (some fraction of a unit of electricity), and the power used by your computer.

Broadband - if you already have a BB account for domestic use, and would have the same service regardless of home working, then there’s no additional cost.

Heating - depends on what type of heating you have, but considering that the other two headings have garnered you less than €0.20, I struggle to see how you get to €3 or more a day in additional heating cost, to heat a workspace for one person for several hours.

TLDR - get the €3.20 a day if you can.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I made an eWorker with Revenue 2 years ago (to the day actually), and it was rejected saying my employer can make the €3.20 to me per day tax free, if they choose, which they choose not to.

However given the current climate, I've just found the below information within Tax and Duty Manual Part 05-02-13 Section 2.3
    2.3 Employer does not make payment towards e-worker expenses
    Where an employer does not pay €3.20 per day to an e-worker, the employee is not entitled to claim a round sum of €3.20 per day. However, employees retain their statutory right to claim a deduction under section 114 of the Taxes Consolidation Act (TCA) 1997 in respect of actual vouched expenses incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of the duties of their employment, and that test is strictly applied. Where an employee decides to make such a claim, any reimbursement of expenses by the employer, such as the allowance in 2.2, should be deducted from such a claim.
    Tax and Duty Manual Part 05-02-20 sets out the general rules on deductions of expenses in employment.

05-02-20 leads me to;
    2.2 Necessarilyincurredintheperformanceoftheduties
    Necessarily means that the duties of the office or employment could not be performed without incurring the expense. “In the performance of the duties” means in the actual performance or carrying out of the duties of the employment. Any expenditure incurred before or after performing the duties of the office or employment would be ruled out. Expenditure incurred by an employee which merely puts the employee in a position to exercise the employment would not be incurred in the performance of the duties of the office or employment.
    The objective test of necessity requires that the expense is incurred. However, it must be considered whether the duties could be performed without incurring the expense. The expense should not arise because of the personal circumstances or preference of the taxpayer. For the expense to be allowable, it must be incurred in the actual performance of the duties of the office or employment or as a direct consequence of those duties.

If I'm working from home, to perform my duties I need to use additional gas for heating, and additional electricity for running computers/lights etc... So therefore I should be entitled to some form of relief?

My OH is in exactly the same boat, an eWorker who is home based.
    We live in a 4 bedroom house, and 2 of the bedrooms are full time offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I made an eWorker with Revenue 2 years ago (to the day actually), and it was rejected saying my employer can make the €3.20 to me per day tax free, if they choose, which they choose not to.

However given the current climate, I've just found the below information within Tax and Duty Manual Part 05-02-13 Section 2.3

05-02-20 leads me to;

If I'm working from home, to perform my duties I need to use additional gas for heating, and additional electricity for running computers/lights etc... So therefore I should be entitled to some form of relief?

My OH is in exactly the same boat, an eWorker who is home based.
    We live in a 4 bedroom house, and 2 of the bedrooms are full time offices.

So make your claim and be prepared to evidence it. Think carefully about how much you

What you were told by Revenue was correct if as you were looking to “claim” eworker relief / payment from them - the €3.20 a day is a separate matter entirely from you claiming an income tax deduction under section 114.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hey All,

Can I ask a question on claiming for 2018 and 2019?

I called revenue and they gave the the formula to calculate etc, but im a little confused about how to enter the figure.

Is it Myaccount > manage tax > credits > other PAYE expenses > Description = eworking relief; Amount = Total amount of bills? or the figure you think you are entitled to for the year?

Just don't want to put in the wrong figure. I reckon I'm only entitled to 40 or 50 quid per year, but still! Maybe a little more for 2020 next year.

My employer doesn't pay the credit. thanks a mil!

• Advertisement
Advertisement