Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men's Shoes for Irish Climate

• 03-01-2020 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I hope someone can help - All the shoe's that I get are either too sweaty or the Irish damp / humidity eventually makes them wet.

I actually think most shoes that we buy are designed in countries with completely different climates.

My question is does anyone know of a brand of shoe's designed for our damp climate ?
    Now I need to clarify - I am talking about general everyday shoes, in the office, down the town etc.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Um, im not sure if shoes are sold by climate ;)

But reading between the lines, two things stand out to me.

Manmade fibers - if you go for real leather and other (better) materials then they'll be breathable. This goes for all clothes. If you wear something thats fundamentally made of plastic (ahem polyester!) then you're going to sweat. Natural fibers will allow the skin to breathe. You might need to invest here as cheap shoes tend to be plastic. Also, wear socks made from cotton, not cheapo ones! Read the care and composition labels on what you buy, it can be enlightening.

Alternating shoes - I don't think its ever really advisable to wear the same shoes every day, I'd alternate mine most days. You need to give them a chance to breathe between wears. Also, even in winter if we get a nice, bright, dry day, it can be good to leave them outside in the light for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ecco shoes are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Irish climate shoes.....an unusual request but ECCO Goretex would fit the bill methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think ShozBbz's suggestion of not wearing the same shoes every day is probably the best tip you'll get. Let them have a chance to 'air' out after use.

I find that buying cheap shoes never works out well.

I tend to wear leather shoes each day to work, but alternate most days. I find Bugatti shoes comfortable and long lasting (for me anyway). But I spend most of the day in an office or the car. I spray the leather with a waterproofing coating every month or so and that seems to work well, although I don't go actively seeking puddles!

Ecco shoes with Gore Tex are great... But I find that Ecco are not exactly up to date with modern styling... So if you're looking for something that would look well with pants/chinos and a shirt then you may struggle :(

These are nice enough looking though from Ecco:
    https://ie.ecco.com/en-IE/product/5637231061/ECCO-TURN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Irish climate shoes.....an unusual request but ECCO Goretex would fit the bill methinks.

Trespass ok,berghaus super

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ecco quite weak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Goretex at least the cheaper ones are not breathable enough.

Leather and natural is the way to go. Just hard to work out what is actually leather these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Trespass ok,berghaus super

The OP mentioned shoes for wearing in an office environment. What shoes from Berghaus would look decent for the office? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Clarks have some Goretex shoes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sandals & socks - that's yer only man. I'd wear Ecco sandals all year round. And if anyone tells you you're committing a crime against fashion by wearing socks with sandals, tell them where to go :)

One solution is leave a pair in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ecco quite weak

I've had a few synthetic ones that I've only got a year or so out of but the full leather Eccos are the best I've ever. Have these 3 years now they are still in perfect nick just wax them now and again. I don't baby them walk the dog with them and go on wet grass. Still waterproof. Leather insoles so not sweaty and don't smell. Best arch support in a shoe I've had. I wear orthics in shoes if they don't and get knee pain in a day or two if the shoes aren't supportive enough. Never any issue with my Ecco's. I do switch around and could be wearing other shoes part of the day but these are on my feet at the majority of the time.

Got them them on sale for €80 at the time but I must pick up another pair. I'd happily pay full price for them as they have lasted so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Has to be crocs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ecco are Danish, which has a very similar climate.

Plastic shoes will be crap regardless of who makes them, though. Would give up meat/milk etc before I give up leather/suede shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

you can't beat a pair of docs,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Any good leather shoes, that have been polished well so a wax builds up, should do you. If you spend hours walking around in the rain though, unless you have wellies on your shoes will get wet.

One tip is get to shoes with rubber soles, or at least get a rubber sole added on after. That'll help keep the sole dry and stop it seeping up into the shoe.

Clarks, M&S, etc etc for the cheaper style. Loake, Barker etc for something more expensive.

You should at least have a pair of of black shoes and a pair of brown (go a darker brown rather than tan). You could also get burgundy as an alternative. Use shoe trees when they aren't been worn, and polish them at least once every two wears. Keep them clean.

If they get wet, dry them with newspaper stuffed inside. If they get wet and the wetness dries into that dry white substance before you get to them, one tip is to wet them again, and then stuff the newspaper in - that will draw out the moisture and then you can polish then as normal.

Use proper polish too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Vetch wrote: »
    Clarks have some Goretex shoes as well.

I find mine excellent. They're the least Goretex looking things you can imagine, but they've been flawless.

Advertisement