Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Finally the sun, I've missed the sun. Can January end now please? :pac:

For real though, I am very much enjoying the milder weather with sun for once. We had a great cold spell but it didn't deliver what we all wanted, so I'm happy to roll on the warmer summer/spring days now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah i remember maybe 2 years ago we got a weekend in Feb where it was like 17c and beautiful blue skies, am I imagining this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ha. Just thinking the same. But I have to be honest people. I got a large delivery of wood for my stove on Tuesday. I may have jinxed things. Sorry :)

Yep all your fault. May you never see snow for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Cracking heavy snow sounding from the 06Z radiosonde from Albermarle (144 m amsl), up near Sunderland. A deep, almost isothermal, saturated layer up to near 650 hPa means there's a lot of moisture to form flakes and hence heavy intensity. Down at the surface temperature and dewpoint both 0.2 C, so big dinnerplates were probably falling at the time. Continuous moderate snow, with visiblility below 1 km, was reported there all morning. Latest report has 9 cm lying on the ground.

539427.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah i remember maybe 2 years ago we got a weekend in Feb where it was like 17c and beautiful blue skies, am I imagining this?

Not quite a weekend but it was the beginning of the working week. It was fantabulous, late February 2019 before a very wet first half to March. Several stations achieved their highest February temperature on record but we fell short of the national record (18.1C). Was unusual seeing such beautiful sunshine whilst so mild in winter time, usually it's cloudy and damp if very mild.

I get blasphemy for loving that period but it really was so lovely. My winter mood has well passed by that point and I long for any kind of warmth although I take sunshine all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cracking heavy snow sounding from the 06Z radiosonde from Albermarle (144 m amsl), up near Sunderland. A deep, almost isothermal, saturated layer up to near 650 hPa means there's a lot of moisture to form flakes and hence heavy intensity. Down at the surface temperature and dewpoint both 0.2 C, so big dinnerplates were probably falling at the time. Continuous moderate snow, with visiblility below 1 km, was reported there all morning. Latest report has 9 cm lying on the ground.

539427.png

Thats just cruel putting that up GL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not quite a weekend but it was the beginning of the working week. It was fantabulous, late February 2019 before a very wet first half to March. Several stations achieved their highest February temperature on record but we fell short of the national record (18.1C). Was unusual seeing such beautiful sunshine whilst so mild in winter time, usually it's cloudy and damp if very mild.

I get blasphemy for loving that period but it really was so lovely. My winter mood has well passed by that point and I long for any kind of warmth although I take sunshine all year round.

I was nearly sure it was a Sunday and I cycled out to Dun Laoighaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Weather/geography heads - do you think this is possible? I’m dubious. I think the distance is too far. I grew up a third of the distance from a mountain 200m lower than Snowdon and we could see it from our house (approximately the same in size and clarity as Snowdon appears in that photo) but it’s hard to imagine seeing it at even twice the distance away. Actually, no, I’ve checked. You can see the mountain from Galway city over double the distance to the mountain from where I grew up You could just about spot it on the outskirts of the city. Snowdon is over three times the distance from Dublin than I was from that mountain. But some kind of telephoto lens was used apparently?

https://twitter.com/sam_greenwood_/status/1349438539616940033?s=21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Weather/geography heads - do you think this is possible? I’m dubious. I think the distance is too far. I grew up a third of the distance from a mountain 200m lower than Snowdon and we could see it from our house but it’s hard to imagine seeing it at even twice the distance away. Actually, no, I’ve checked. You can see the mountain from Galway city over double the distance to the mountain from where I grew up You could just about spot it on the outskirts of the city. Snowdon is over three times the distance from Dublin than I was from that mountain. But some kind of telephoto lens was used apparently?

I think that photo is enhanced. But yes if you go from sea level to altitude you can see a lot further.

Sometimes locally (depending on the weather) if you drive from 200 metres down to sea level on my north coast, you can see Islay disappearing from view.
    http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

It's absolutely possible and I would not for one moment doubt its authenticity. Photographer claims that the photo was taken at Howth Summit. This is around 170m. I've seen those mountains from a high vantage point in Howth, the summit car park (which is not actually at the summit) for example. The air was exceptionally clear the day the photo was taken. That, combined with high reflectivity of the snow combined with the resulting higher than normal contrast between the snow, the sea and sky plus the use of a telephoto lens and/or cropping all lead to this pretty spectacular photo.

• Advertisement

No problem seeing it from up on Howth Head. It doesn't seem to be enhanced, just the parallax from a zoom lens. The top of Snowdonia peak is the same height as Carrauntoohil, so at 140 km away it's not difficult to see it from 100 metres up.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Weather/geography heads - do you think this is possible? I’m dubious. I think the distance is too far. I grew up a third of the distance from a mountain 200m lower than Snowdon and we could see it from our house (approximately the same in size and clarity as Snowdon appears in that photo) but it’s hard to imagine seeing it at even twice the distance away. Actually, no, I’ve checked. You can see the mountain from Galway city over double the distance to the mountain from where I grew up You could just about spot it on the outskirts of the city. Snowdon is over three times the distance from Dublin than I was from that mountain. But some kind of telephoto lens was used apparently?

Yes it is possible. You can also see the Mourne Mountains from Dublin which isn't much different. Get yourself a good zoom lens and a camera and you would be surprised how far you can see. I have seen images from Wales looking across Ireland and its mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭highdef

No problem seeing it from up on Howth Head. It doesn't seem to be enhanced, just the parallax from a zoom lens. The top of Snowdonia peak is the same height as Carrauntoohil, so at 140 km away it's not difficult to see it from 100 metres up.

I studied the photo further. The red brick houses in the foreground are located on the right hand side of the road leading up to "The Summit Car Park" @ about 140m ASL. Going by the angle of the photo and the apparent height above the houses, I have surmised that the photo was taken from the Ben of Howth ( https://goo.gl/maps/9eNGb8LAr39BBBAA6 ) at about 160m so that just further goes in the favour of this photo being genuine, not that I ever thought otherwise.

Nobody said the photo wasn’t genuine HighDef.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

People on Twitter are saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

That was exactly what Obvious Desperate Breakfasts was asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

The city of Leeds has got over 10cm of snow today. So unfair. Some cities have all the luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Cleared up to be a nice sunny day in wexford. 11'c currently according to thermometer outside, it's almost like summertime out there. This is the mild weather I like, not the usual wet cr-p.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Hi all,

I am the photographer behind the capture of Snowdon taken from Howth Summit (an avid lurker on this forum too i must admit). It was taken Tuesday afternoon from the Ben of Howth (171m). Was a mostly cloudy day here but with exceptionally clear conditions in the Irish sea (Isle of Man and the Mournes also visible). That combined with the snow still lying on Snowdon definitely helped in getting this shot! It's on my instagram too at ncarroll22 (Niall O'Carroll on FB).

That was exactly what Obvious Desperate Breakfasts was asking

Yeah but I was just genuinely interested. I added in my own experience to explain why I was doubtful but I’m willing to learn. A few people are questioning it on Twitter because, well, Twitter but the reaction seems mostly positive.

If I was the photographer, I wouldn’t be offended by questions. I’d just say what I did to achieve the photo and if people didn’t believe me, let them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Great photo Niall. The following picture was taken by Tommy Dover in Wicklow Town and posted on the Wicklowmaritime Facebook page. It's possible to see Snowdon from Wicklow Town on the odd occasion. It's freaky. It's almost as if a mountain range springs up in the middle of the Irish Sea when it happens.

50835037932_94f262a850_h.jpg

Niall145 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am the photographer behind the capture of Snowdon taken from Howth Summit (an avid lurker on this forum too i must admit). It was taken Tuesday afternoon from the Ben of Howth (171m). Was a mostly cloudy day here but with exceptionally clear conditions in the Irish sea (Isle of Man and the Mournes also visible). That combined with the snow still lying on Snowdon definitely helped in getting this shot! It's on my instagram too at ncarroll22 (Niall O'Carroll on FB).

Thank you, Niall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Even if we dont get any cold and snow at least we are only a couple of weeks away from febuary...we can even get summer temperatures in febuary the record is over 18 degrees...and the March record is even better at 24 degrees...more than what we get most summers

Appears to be some sort of cold front coming through. Heavy hailstones.

https://streamable.com/mh9x2e

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

At least today we have seen the sun again after 4 days without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

At least today we have seen the sun again after 4 days without it.

It makes all the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Dont let the flat earthers see those photos!

Hi all,

Minimum surface visibilities were reported up to 65 km at 3 pm on Tuesday, which is pretty high, but they were likely higher. Add to that your altitude, which gave you a surface horizon at 47 km, and the altitude of a snow-capped Snowdon (1085 m) beyond that and all the holes in the cheese lined up.

Sometimes when flying I can see the Galway coast from around Enfield in Meath from around 3000 ft (1000 m). There is sometimes a large increase in horizontal visibility when you get a few hundred metres up out of the murk. With a summertime inversion the sudden increase in visibility as you climb up through it can be stunning.

For the record, here are the horizon distances for an observer at different heights. They increase logarithmically with height.

539458.png

539459.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ckit1

Interesting January 2010 panoramic image - from Mt. Leinster looking across the Irish Sea - and not just for the snow cover:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/gallery/ie/LEINSTER2010/MountLeinster-Snowdonia.jpg

credits: Thomas May & OSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi all,

The photo nerd in me is wondering about the lens and focal length?

Advertisement