Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

• 28-10-2007 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

This week's local papers have the listings of CPO's for the New Ross bypass so some relief in prospect at the bridge in town.

Are their any images of the new river crossing available? I'm told it will be the highest bridge in Ireland. True? Where it's due to join the Waterford road at Glenmore is certainly a high point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Great news that this is on the move. The section of the N25 from the Kilmeaden side of Waterford to the Ballynaboola side of New Ross is easily one of the slowest stretches of national road in the country, because for through traffic, Waterford and New Ross are awful bottlenecks.

I heard that the bridge at New Ross was going to be the longest in Ireland, though you might be right about it being the highest too. The one being built in Waterford at the moment is going to be the longest when it opens, but only until the New Ross one itself opens.

The Waterford bypass is going to be a dual carriageway, and might be reclassed as motorway even before it's finished. Any idea if the New Ross bypass will be designed to the same standard?

The NRA website mentions also a Waterford-Glenmore scheme, which will link the New Ross and Waterford bypasses. Given the standard of the current road, I'd expect that any upgrade will be to DC or motorway standard. There's also a retrofit of the Kilmacthomas bypass happening, which will make it a DC.

Great news for the SW Wexford/South KK/East Waterford areas after so many years of neglect on the roads front. Only downside is the toll on the new Suir bridge, and no doubt another on the New Ross one...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Longest would make sense as the point where it crosses (The Pink Rock) is quite a wide stretch of river combined with a wide marshey soft riverbank. I presume the vertical height is to allow access to New Ross port which is still used. It is also the home port of the Dunbrody tall ship which also has to navigate this stretch of the river.

There is no mention DC or otherwise in the newspaper notices. The bypass is 13.6 km long and will start from the Enniscorthy (N30 ) road and cross the Wexford (N25) road. There is no indication of what type of junction this might be.

Is there any precedent for two tolls in such close proximity? The Waterford and New Ross river crossings must be only 15km apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

fricatus wrote: »
    Great news that this is on the move. The section of the N25 from the Kilmeaden side of Waterford to the Ballynaboola side of New Ross is easily one of the slowest stretches of national road in the country, because for through traffic, Waterford and New Ross are awful bottlenecks.

I heard that the bridge at New Ross was going to be the longest in Ireland, though you might be right about it being the highest too. The one being built in Waterford at the moment is going to be the longest when it opens, but only until the New Ross one itself opens.

The Waterford bypass is going to be a dual carriageway, and might be reclassed as motorway even before it's finished. Any idea if the New Ross bypass will be designed to the same standard?

The NRA website mentions also a Waterford-Glenmore scheme, which will link the New Ross and Waterford bypasses. Given the standard of the current road, I'd expect that any upgrade will be to DC or motorway standard. There's also a retrofit of the Kilmacthomas bypass happening, which will make it a DC.

Great news for the SW Wexford/South KK/East Waterford areas after so many years of neglect on the roads front. Only downside is the toll on the new Suir bridge, and no doubt another on the New Ross one...

as far as I am aware this is being built with fuding from the Irish Exchequer and not by way of PPP,therefore no toll will be placed as the N25 will have one at Waterford

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There won't be a toll on the NR bypass. Although it doesn't mention the road standard in the NRA info, a dual carriageway was mentioned in a press release from them (sorry no link).

Just thinking aloud but I wonder if you could upgrade both the N25 and N30 between New Ross and the N11 by building one new road from New Ross to Oilgate. Saves you building 2 duallers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Some indicative images from the KK People Weekender on this site:

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=24&pos=0

• Advertisement

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=24&pos=0

looks similiar in design to the Millau viaduct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct) in France in that the stays are in the middle of the road as opposed to the side aka Boyne & Suir Bridges

This looks like a stunning piece of engineering. Another tourist attraction for the South East!

Unfortunately it looks like the both the Waterford and New Ross bypasses will be complete several years before the Enniscorthy bypass is even started. At present Enniscorthy suffers from major congestion as N11 traffic crosses the two river bridges in the town centre which form part of a one way circular route to disperse N11 traffic north and southbound,N30 traffic to New Ross/Kilkenny and the usual local traffic. The completion of the Gorey bypass seems to have shifted some of that congestion further south. Peak delays can be up to an hour southbound on a Friday or Bank holiday weekend.

The proposed by pass was to start about 3miles north of Enniscorthy at Scarawalsh with a roundabout sending N11 south bound traffic east of Enniscorthy to rejoin existing N11 at Edermine about 4 miles south of Enniscorthy. A second road would run to the west of the town to meet the N30 New Ross road at Jamestown 4 miles west of Enniscorthy with a further spur to the N80 Carlow road. (NRA)

The original plan was for completion winter 2007!

After several years of inaction the plan has gone back to the drawing board with a proposel to to bring the road further west of Enniscorthy to rejoin the N11 south of Oilgate village. This will send the start date even further out.

It seems Euroroute 1 is falling by the wayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't find those pix of the Sabre site! Looking at the PDFs for the bypass its much longer than I had realised, the junction on the Waterford side will be just north of Glenmore.

Miek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Take a look here for the road layout maps, both of the Waterford and Enniscorthy sides of the bypass. Badly needed, but I also found last Friday that Enniscorthy is now under big pressure too - traffic was backed up on the Dublin to the roundabout at the Mini garage, couldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alesi27

I remember the New Ross Echo had an article about the new bridge as a lead front story about a year ago and it carried an artist's impression of what it will look like. You might be able to get in through the archives on the paper's website or if not contact the New Ross Echo office in the town.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I also found last Friday that Enniscorthy is now under big pressure too - traffic was backed up on the Dublin to the roundabout at the Mini garage, couldn't believe it.

And I bet everyone inched thier way along the main N11 to the bridge, rather than swing a right at the roundabout and head towards the New Ross road then cut back along the river and come out at the SuperValue carpark exit.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    And I bet everyone inched thier way along the main N11 to the bridge, rather than swing a right at the roundabout and head towards the New Ross road then cut back along the river and come out at the SuperValue carpark exit.

Mike.
    I've been caught in that a few times.

Mike, I don't know waterford that well (despite having lived in Wexford for all of 12 years or so) but can you swing a right on that roundabout, drive up the back of Enniscorthy and then link up with the Clonroche / New Ross Road?

Mike, I don't know waterford that well (despite having lived in Wexford for all of 12 years or so) but can you swing a right on that roundabout, drive up the back of Enniscorthy and then link up with the Clonroche / New Ross Road?

You mean Enniscorthy no? :)

If so clicky

Mike.

Fairly straightforward to get to the New Ross/Waterford road from N11 at Enniscorthy. Take 3rd exit at Dublin Road Roundabout (direction Kiltealy). Straight at next crossroads (mini roundabout). Take 2 right (at school raised Zebra crossing). At top of this road take left turn then immediate right and right again at next T junction at end of street. Follow this road out of town for about 3km and it will join the the N30 New Ross road about 5km west of Enniscorthy.

Its not as complicated as I've made it sound! Its a regular rat run for Waterford or Kilkenny hurling fans heading fro Croke Park.

For a wider diversion another alternative is to follow direction signs from Dublin, Carlow direction for Monart Destination Spa. This is located only about 1km from the New Ross Waterford road.

BTW the traffic backed up to the BMW/mini garage on the N11 is a regular occurence every Friday evening and most weekdays. The volumn of traffic has always been high but I think it has worsened since the Gorey Bypass opened. In my own opinion part of this may due to inadequate signage at the last junction on the N11 Gorey bypass(Junction 23) the Gorey/Ballycanew exit. Where heretofore some traffic took a left at the traffic lights in Gorey and headed down the coast road to Wexford they now land in Camolin before they realise they have passed the Wexford turnoff.

This is being discussed on Pat Kennys radio prog today, I'll bump this when it starts.

www.rte.ie/radio1

Bump! Its on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Heard it.

Researchers didn't do a good job on this one IMO. Just churned out local objectors who couldn't present good reasons against the project, people unable to look at the wider picture.

There were the main objectors from the oral hearing, An Taisce (spouting anti oil consumption and global energy crisis theory) and some local farmer who started spewing out cost figures off the top of his head (at least PK took issue with him over it and wouldn't accept it :p) saying we can't spend money in a recession and all that was needed to solve the traffic problem was to turn off the lights at the bridge :confused::confused::confused:.....not to mention the competition between engineers to build the longest bridge in Ireland!!! WTF????

All in all not a good piece of informative journalism, but at least PK saw that by the way he was getting slightly irratated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Stupido wrote: »
    Heard it.

Researchers didn't do a good job on this one IMO. Just churned out local objectors who couldn't present good reasons against the project, people unable to look at the wider picture.

There were the main objectors from the oral hearing, An Taisce (spouting anti oil consumption and global energy crisis theory) and some local farmer who started spewing out cost figures off the top of his head (at least PK took issue with him over it and wouldn't accept it :p) saying we can't spend money in a recession and all that was needed to solve the traffic problem was to turn off the lights at the bridge :confused::confused::confused:.....not to mention the competition between engineers to build the longest bridge in Ireland!!! WTF????

All in all not a good piece of informative journalism, but at least PK saw that by the way he was getting slightly irratated.

...but it's the media mate - what else do you expect??? :rolleyes:

As a rule, the media in general isn't interested in actual current affairs, it's mostly about money spinning sensationalism! :mad:

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

all that was needed to solve the traffic problem was to turn off the lights at the bridge :confused::confused::confused:

The traffic lights were turned off at the bottom of the Main street in Arklow when the N11 went that way, the traffic moved much better and tailbacks were reduced.
    Similarly at the Church at the junction with the road to Shannonbridge in Ballinasloe, I've not been held up there since the traffic lights were turned off.

It's a free, (very) partial solution, that may improve things in the short term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

by all means turn off the lights, but when talking about national strategic infrastructure it shows that they are missing the point completly.

NR Bypass is a national route, not a local bypass. The town itself will need another bridge (or two) in the short to medium term and the local council do have a (tentative) plan for it.

In essence the NR bypass will join up with the Waterford Bypass and the Enniscorthy Bypass and give a south-east route all the way up to Dublin. This will do wonders for the region.

Now they should start reopening the rail lines as well and give some service between Waterford, New Ross, Kilkenny and Wexford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The farmer protesting obviously is in the line of the CPO. He obviously thinks nothing of the future of his local town and neighbours if he thinks it shouldn't be bypassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

by all means turn off the lights, but when talking about national strategic infrastructure it shows that they are missing the point completly.

NR Bypass is a national route, not a local bypass. The town itself will need another bridge (or two) in the short to medium term and the local council do have a (tentative) plan for it.

In essence the NR bypass will join up with the Waterford Bypass and the Enniscorthy Bypass and give a south-east route all the way up to Dublin. This will do wonders for the region.

Now they should start reopening the rail lines as well and give some service between Waterford, New Ross, Kilkenny and Wexford!

Which is why I wondered why they built the M9:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The traffic lights were turned off at the bottom of the Main street in Arklow when the N11 went that way, the traffic moved much better and tailbacks were reduced.
    Similarly at the Church at the junction with the road to Shannonbridge in Ballinasloe, I've not been held up there since the traffic lights were turned off.
    This doesn't help at all. The whole point of having the traffic lights is not to improve traffic flow along the main route (which it obviously wouldn't), but to allow people from side roads to enter. The main route has the highest traffic by far, so if you turn off the lights, the traffic flows continuously often with no gaps, making it impossible for anyone coming from a side road to gain access.

Good news that they've put a date to it, looks like IF FUNDING CAN BE GOTTEN FROM THE BANKS that M17/18 will be starting in Late 2010, Newlands/M11 gap in 2011, and M11 Enniscorty and N25 New Ross in March 2011.

New Ross bypass wont be M25 though, they need to do more research :D

Possible delay for New Ross due to High Court Action
    =======================================
    http://www.newrossecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mheykfkfsn&cat=news
    High Court action threatens bypass

A HIGH Court action by a party protesting about the planned New Ross Bypass may derail the much anticipated project indefinitely, Wexford County Manager Eddie Breen told Monday’s meeting of the local authority.

“The compulsory purchase order for New Ross has become entangled in a High Court challenge; we tried to get it transferred to the Commercial Court, but we couldn’t. It is worrying,” Mr. Breen said.

He said the National Roads’ Authority would need to know before Christmas when the case will be heard if funding is to be granted for the bypass. Mr. Breen said cases can be delayed for months in the High Court and if no date is fixed New Ross could lose out.

“The allocation will be determined for next year before Christmas and we could end up out of the mix. We are working very hard through our legal agents to grab a decision on this as soon as possible.”

Mr. Breen said there is a fast-track option in the Commercial Court, but not in the High Court. “If we knew the decision would be in January or February, we would be alright. We are very concerned that the budgets could be framed without any certainty as to New Ross bypass.”

A previous challenge against Galway Council over a bypass failed in the High Court. Mr. Breen said Wexford County Council would launch a vigorous challenge to any attempt to block the bypass’s construction.

Fine Gael’s Larry O’Brien said: “It is concerning. The Waterford bypass opened recently and the traffic is all arriving in New Ross.”

Enniscorthy Cllr. Paddy Kavanagh asked if there was a possibility of a delay in the Clough to Oylegate bypass.

Mr. Breen said the matter is with An Bord Pleanála at the moment, but he feels confident it will all go ahead in one project.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Good to hear something is due to go ahead in the coming years. Putting the brakes on infrastructural development during a recession is a mistake, especially as costs are so low compared to boomtime-you can get so much more bang for your (albeit borrowed) buck!

I look forward to the Ferns/Camolin/Enniscorthy bypass especially but the New Ross one really needs doing. Having said that-the N20 remains a lethal cart track and the section of N11 they are intent on bypassing is actually a good road, save for the congested urban stretches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Bards wrote: »
    Possible delay for New Ross due to High Court Action
    =======================================
    http://www.newrossecho.ie/news/story/?trs=mheykfkfsn&cat=news
    High Court action threatens bypass

A HIGH Court action by a party protesting about the planned New Ross Bypass may derail the much anticipated project indefinitely, Wexford County Manager Eddie Breen told Monday’s meeting of the local authority.

“The compulsory purchase order for New Ross has become entangled in a High Court challenge; we tried to get it transferred to the Commercial Court, but we couldn’t. It is worrying,” Mr. Breen said.

He said the National Roads’ Authority would need to know before Christmas when the case will be heard if funding is to be granted for the bypass. Mr. Breen said cases can be delayed for months in the High Court and if no date is fixed New Ross could lose out.

“The allocation will be determined for next year before Christmas and we could end up out of the mix. We are working very hard through our legal agents to grab a decision on this as soon as possible.”

Mr. Breen said there is a fast-track option in the Commercial Court, but not in the High Court. “If we knew the decision would be in January or February, we would be alright. We are very concerned that the budgets could be framed without any certainty as to New Ross bypass.”

A previous challenge against Galway Council over a bypass failed in the High Court. Mr. Breen said Wexford County Council would launch a vigorous challenge to any attempt to block the bypass’s construction.

Fine Gael’s Larry O’Brien said: “It is concerning. The Waterford bypass opened recently and the traffic is all arriving in New Ross.”

Enniscorthy Cllr. Paddy Kavanagh asked if there was a possibility of a delay in the Clough to Oylegate bypass.

Mr. Breen said the matter is with An Bord Pleanála at the moment, but he feels confident it will all go ahead in one project.

...why do people always have to kick up when there's a much needed improvement in our infrastructure...

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah New Ross, Galway and the M3 are the ones that have caused trouble :( The people fighting against New Ross claim that 2+2 is way overspec for what is needed and that the massive bridge they are planning is overkill. I agree with them. But it should be built anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

The New Ross / Enniscorthy element looks like it may be getting a step closer.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC136431

1 day after the budget the contract award notice for Technical Advisor is posted up, however the official date of the award is 3/11/09 so may not be of any significance that it only got posted on etenders yesterday.........anyways looks like the 'the eleven-twenty five' consortium may have a bit of cash coming their way €8,600,000 plus VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Road-Hog wrote: »
    The New Ross / Enniscorthy element looks like it may be getting a step closer.........

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=DEC136431

1 day after the budget the contract award notice for Technical Advisor is posted up, however the official date of the award is 3/11/09 so may not be of any significance that it only got posted on etenders yesterday.........anyways looks like the 'the eleven-twenty five' consortium may have a bit of cash coming their way €8,600,000 plus VAT

Thats a 'contract award notice', not a tender for something ;) It just tells you who won a previous competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Thats a 'contract award notice', not a tender for something ;) It just tells you who won a previous competition.

I think if you read my post above I actually state that its a ' contract award notice'...........you are being a wee bit condescending I think, :mad:

Advertisement