Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A&R Marketplace Poll - Are 7th Gen now Retro?

• 09-08-2018 7:14pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, looking for your input with regards the arcade and retro marketplace and the wider question of is the Wii, 360 and PS3 now considered Retro.

The odd time a Marketplace ad will go up or ill get a PM asking if they are considered Retro yet and if they can be posted for sale etc.

Is it time to consider the above Retro? I guess, if you are picking a option in the poll please pick it keeping in mind its to determine if they are going to be allowed for sale on the A&R Marketplace.

I know there is currently a Wii there for sale, which sparked this poll off, ill leave that ad up for now.

Poll is up for 7 days.

Thanks!

Is the Wii, 360 and PS3 Now "Retro" ? 20 votes

Yes they are!
    0% 0 votes
    Not yet..
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

How I view it, it's retro once its no longer 'last gen'
    PS2 became retro once the PS4 came out.

In reality we're all probably gonna disagree :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Personally I’m happy to have the Marketplace cover as much as possible! The less I have to use Adverts etc, the better as far as I’m concerned...and with Boards having no connection with Adverts anymore, there’s no longer any toes to be stepped on. If anything, other forums should ape it and have their own selling sections, it’s great for community development, and it’s be great to have one large gaming supermarket in the main gaming forum, for current stuff etc.

As for if the Wii is strictly retro, I suppose it’s two generations out now, no longer being made, and games for it are no longer being made that I know of. I say go for it and make it official, bring on the Wii, PS3, and 360 stuff :)

Retro is two generations old. That's how I always thought about anyways

I wouldn’t base your decision on the poll results Optimus. At the end of the day the only person this affects will be you, as in, if you’re happy to have the additional workload the additional items might cause you. Anyone and everyone else will get the benefit of a broader range of items available in the marketplace. There’s literally no downsides for the average user, so I’m not sure why anyone would vote no in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Everyone slated the Wii as being out dated compared to the 360 and PS3 so it deserves to be considered retro earlier than them. :)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh to be honest I’d say a few non regular users of the arcade and retro forum would probably just click no too if they came across the poll out of context. I don’t mind the extra work, there’s not much to do modding wise in there anyways! We will see how it goes.

Inviere wrote: »
    I wouldn’t base your decision on the poll results Optimus. At the end of the day the only person this affects will be you, as in, if you’re happy to have the additional workload the additional items might cause you. Anyone and everyone else will get the benefit of a broader range of items available in the marketplace. There’s literally no downsides for the average user, so I’m not sure why anyone would vote no in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Generally I feel two generations removed is the best standard for what is and isn't retro though with how long the previous generation was I could see the argument for them.
    PSP and DS probably count as retro now that the switch is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Seeing as they have sold 500 million PS4's would that make the the 10 year old PS3 closer to retro?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Seeing as they have sold 500 million PS4's would that make the the 10 year old PS3 closer to retro?

I think rather than a discussion on what is defined as retro, it’s really just “is everyone ok with being able to by Wii, 360, and PS3 stuff in the marketplace yeah? Cool, we’ll sort that out in a few days.”

So far 8 people have said “No, I have a problem with that. I’d rather use Adverts, Done Deal, and EBay for those things.”

:rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I say, judging by the regulars here, it's okay to open up the Marketplace to the 7th gen systems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh i agree! I didnt take into account non regular users of this forum voting no haha

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I say, judging by the regulars here, it's okay to open up the Marketplace to the 7th gen systems.

I’d agree, no brainer really. It’s not as if it’s going to suddenly fill up with thread after thread of Wii Fit Boards. There’ll prob be no real world difference, other than the odd pile of 7th gen games etc ending up on it. In context, those systems are definitely retro enough in the public eye, to cause no issues being sold here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If a party appears to be using it as a shop front, just delete their posts and move on.
    The last thing we would want is an influx of Fifa 08 and Haze for the PS3.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If a party appears to be using it as a shop front, just delete their posts and move on.
    The last thing we would want is an influx of Fifa 08 and Haze for the PS3.

Damn, there goes my plan to start fleecing old 360 sports games from CeX and flogging them in the Marketplace for twice the price. I was going to be rich, rich beyond my wildest dreams :(

:P

Damn, there goes my plan to start fleecing old 360 sports games from CeX and flogging them in the Marketplace for twice the price. I was going to be rich, rich beyond my wildest dreams :(

:P

But, Lost Planet and Madden 06 are so R@R€!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What I think is going to be interesting going forward with that generation is the delisted digital games. There's a hell of a lot of Xbox 360 Arcade games that never got a physical release that can't be bought now. The likes of After Burner Climax, Outrun 2, Marble Blast Ultra and Scott Pilgrim, if you don't already have them, you're never getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think the consoles named are approaching retro at this stage, they are all nearly 12y.o platforms at this stage.
    That the bulk of my gaming these days is via emulator on the Shield or Geforce.
    The only console I have still is my PS3 that I still return to for GTA/RDR and some other PS3 classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Now is probably the time to be picking up PS3/360 games.

I've noticed a small change in charity shops & car boot sales, there is a lot more PS3 era games over the last year.
    Not sure if thats the same everywhere or not.

The likes of After Burner Climax, Outrun 2, Marble Blast Ultra and Scott Pilgrim, if you don't already have them, you're never getting them.

Not strictly true. An RGH’d 360 is the obvious solution. Yes it’s technically piracy, but with no way to actually pay for those games, I can’t say I’d lose any sleep over it. Secondly, 360 emulation, while nowhere near practicable yet, is making progress. In time, it’ll become a viable method of experiencing those games.

What I think is going to be interesting going forward with that generation is the delisted digital games. There's a hell of a lot of Xbox 360 Arcade games that never got a physical release that can't be bought now. The likes of After Burner Climax, Outrun 2, Marble Blast Ultra and Scott Pilgrim, if you don't already have them, you're never getting them.

I've two of those at least, Outrun 2 HD and Marble Blast.
    I think Daytona is on that list as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not strictly true. An RGH’d 360 is the obvious solution. Yes it’s technically piracy, but with no way to actually pay for those games, I can’t say I’d lose any sleep over it. Secondly, 360 emulation, while nowhere near practicable yet, is making progress. In time, it’ll become a viable method of experiencing those games.

Once again piracy saves the day when it comes to videogame Archiving.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Once again piracy saves the day when it comes to videogame Archiving.

Whem it comes to digital only titles with expired licenses, piracy leads the way. How wrong is that, when the law gets so tangled up in itself, the only solution becomes theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Whem it comes to digital only titles with expired licenses, piracy leads the way. How wrong is that, when the law gets so tangled up in itself, the only solution becomes theft.

Piracy_00c054_798369.jpg

But your point is valid of course, I've just been waiting to use that pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

You wouldn't download a car!

Doge wrote: »
    You wouldn't download a car!

You wouldn't kill a policeman, steal his helmet, go to the toilet in it, give it back, then steal it again!

The "not yet" side is catching up. This is all very exciting.

The "not yet" side is catching up. This is all very exciting.

The "not yet side", aka, "Those who half read the thread title, and just voted on the general question of if 7th gen is retro or not." :o

The "not yet side", aka, "Those who half read the thread title, and just voted on the general question of if 7th gen is retro or not." :o

I believe this is precisely what I did:o
    Tbh, I think as far as the marketplace is concerned we could include the Wii U as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah i just want more consoles at better prices :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah please don't vote no lads. I'm going to start bulking up my PS3 and 360 collection. Id prefer to be doing deals with the lads here

Advertisement