Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scanlines or no scanlines

• 08-08-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭

I'm trying out some new XRGB Framemeister settings on my RGB modded Amiga CD32. On the XRGB generally you only want the scanlines on 240p content when outputting 720p as they can look weird/crap on higher res stuff. But I'm almost sold on the scanlines on this 288p RGB source running @ 1080p.
    I can play with the brightness on the scanline mode a bit maybe.

So, scanlines or better without?
    You need to watch fullscreen/1080p to actually see the scanlines properly, otherwise they look weird when scaled down by YouTube.

Scanlines or No Scanlines? 20 votes

Scanlines
    0% 0 votes
    No Scanlines
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

scanlines all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

On the fence with that video but gotta say WITH scanlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah I'd have to say in that vid it looks better when they're switched on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Another one for 'on' here. It takes the edge off the blockiness of the sprites and gives it that 'how it was designed to look' feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've been testing a few HDMI scanline generators to put in the AV loop. But so far they are all sh1te. HDMI as its the last connection in the loop.
    Looks like I'll be sticking with the XRGB's scanlines for now. I've ordered an OSSC as well, but it might be a month before it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Depends on the monitor or what generator is being used, but all in all I'd be for. Especially for the old arcade monitors because it gives the game that rugged "gritty" sort of look.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

100% scanlines. If it's a VGA compatible source, take a look at the arcadeforge "Scanline Generator SLG3000". It works very well with a PO for controlling the intensity.

100% scanlines. If it's a VGA compatible source, take a look at the arcadeforge "Scanline Generator SLG3000". It works very well with a PO for controlling the intensity.

Yeah, I've got one of those for and its pretty good at what it does. But not really suitable for my current setup. I think the Dreamcast and PSP dev kit are the only systems I'm currently using via VGA.

So I tweaked the scanlines ever so slightly, little bit brighter and sharper image.
    I think this is pretty much the best picture I can get out of an Amiga CD32 using the XRGB Mini. I'm 90% happy with it, but think the OSSC scanlines will be better.
    The game is Disposable Hero by the way.

aaSKiUA.jpg
    Sq3Waxc.jpg

LfWwtQM.jpg
    v6ZIhoB.jpg

Needs to be watched in full screen and max resolution otherwise the scanlines look weird.

• Advertisement

Looks lovely Steve. Is there the tiniest bit of saturation going on with the whites? Or is that perhaps how the game is meant to look? Or maybe it's just my screen?

Inviere wrote: »
    Looks lovely Steve. Is there the tiniest bit of saturation going on with the whites? Or is that perhaps how the game is meant to look? Or maybe it's just my screen?

The whites do look a bit off, but I think its the game. Do you mean they're too white/bright?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    The whites do look a bit off, but I think its the game. Do you mean they're too white/bright?

Yeah just slightly overly white/bright causing some saturation, as said, could be the game itself!

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah just slightly overly white/bright causing some saturation, as said, could be the game itself!

I'll stick on a different looking game and see if i can spot it on that. The white sections on parts of DHero always looked a bit graphically unfinished to me.

Yes definitely something up with the whites on this. I stuck on DHero on my upgraded Amiga 1200 which outputs DVI/HDMI and there is a big difference.
    The XRGB isn't processing the HDMI signal from the A1200, just passing it through(which is why its a smaller native resolution capture).

Amiga 1200 over HDMI (unprocessed by XRGB)
    TAZmwZJ.jpg

CD32 over RGB SCART (processed and upscaled by XRGB)
    5vaf84t.jpg

I'll need to see if its the cable/RGB Mod or just the XRGB profile needs a slight tweak.

Well spotted Myrdi....Inviere :)

Advertisement