Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Real Estate Investing in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

joxer1988 wrote: »
    So in this sense, you think it's better value to purchase a renovated house than an old house and do the work yourself?

Cheers!

He's not, it's just telling you to make sure you don't go overboard on renovations because they may not add a whole lot of equity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He's not, it's just telling you to make sure you don't go overboard on renovations because they may not add a whole lot of equity.

If your buying and renovating to sell for profit, then you have to renovate with your head and nor your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

joxer1988 wrote: »
    So in this sense, you think it's better value to purchase a renovated house than an old house and do the work yourself?

Cheers!

As pointed out already it can add value but it may not be the equivalent of what you paid. If it’s your first rodeo buying a house that needs a lot of work may not be the best move in the world. Some houses can be money pits especially if they are very old and your jaw might drop once you open the house up and see problems such as subsidence, full rewire of houses, plumbing costs, insulation, windows etc. all I am saying is do your research first, have your eyes wide open before committing. If your doing a fixer upper especially if your new to the game I would add a 10-20pc contingency to cover yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Fol20 wrote: »
    As pointed out already it can add value but it may not be the equivalent of what you paid. If it’s your first rodeo buying a house that needs a lot of work may not be the best move in the world. Some houses can be money pits especially if they are very old and your jaw might drop once you open the house up and see problems such as subsidence, full rewire of houses, plumbing costs, insulation, windows etc. all I am saying is do your research first, have your eyes wide open before committing. If your doing a fixer upper especially if your new to the game I would add a 10-20pc contingency to cover yourself.

Cheers for the advice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Fol20 wrote: »
    Most don’t but I saw a thread recently where someone was on 60k at 21 in their family business so you might be surprised

There's been a few popping up alright but you're right, I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

Can you expand on this a bit more please? Employment in what roles exactly and do you have any advice on how to go about that? I think its a good idea generally

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Is there any particular reason that you're purely focusing on property? At your age and the fact that you have some savings it could be a great time to start regular investments in the stock market. A lot less hassle, fewer barriers to entry and over the long term you should be able to beat residential property returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

Is there any particular reason that you're purely focusing on property? At your age and the fact that you have some savings it could be a great time to start regular investments in the stock market. A lot less hassle, fewer barriers to entry and over the long term you should be able to beat residential property returns.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been meaning to look into it and how it works for a period of time but have just gotten sidetracked and how does it compare to real estate, is it more profitable generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been meaning to look into it and how it works for a period of time but have just gotten sidetracked and how does it compare to real estate, is it more profitable generally?
    Property and stocks and shares are both real assets whose value, ultimately, depends on the performance of the national economy. The price of houses depends on what people are willilng to pay to rent or buy them, which in turn depends on employment rates, wage levels and so on, and so on the general health of the economy. The value of shares depends on company earnings which, again, depends on the health of the economy.

So, in the long run, taking the rough with the smooth, etc, etc, you expect both to have similar returns in the same economy.

But that can conceal an awful lot of rough and smooth. Over decades, you expect returns on investing in houses to be similar to returns on investing in companies, but that doesn't mean that the return on this house will bear any relationship to the return on this share over any particular period of time.

From the point of view of the private investor, the main difference between them is that it's relatively easy to leverage your investment in the property market with borrowing, but not at all easy to do the same with shares.

Suppose I have 100k to invest. I put it into a portfolion of shares over X number of years. Over that time the cumulatve return is, say, 50%. I sell out for 150k. I have 50k profit.

Now suppose, instead of buying the shares, I use the 100k, plus a 400k mortgage, to purchase a house for 500k. After X years, at a 50% return, the house is now worth 750k. I sell. I pay off the loan, 400k, plus let's say I have also payed 100k in interest over the years. Take away the 100k I originally invested, and my net profit is 150k - three times more than if I invested in shares.

On the other hand, if returns had been low over the period of X years, I'd be crucified. Suppose instead of a 50% return real assets earned only a 10% return. Investing in shares would mean that after X years I would have 110k. But investing in the house, on the same figures, after X years I'd have lost the whole of my 100k, and would owe a further 50k to the bank.

So, leveraging maximises returns, but also maximises losses.

While you can faff around with the fact that shares pay dividends while property pays rent, and the slightly different tax treatment of each, etc, etc., for the private investor the fact that property investment can be and generally is highly leverages, while share investment generally is not, swmaps all other differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Property and stocks and shares are both real assets whose value, ultimately, depends on the performance of the national economy.

While that may be true for property, it's a common misconception that the stock market is related to the national economy.

OP, well done for having an interest in investing at such a young age. You have a great opportunity to accumulate wealth over time. I have listened to a few of Bigger Pockets' podcasts in the past and, while it may work in America, I can assure you that it's not so easy in Ireland, despite some tax benefits that are in place for Irish property investors. As others have stated, unless you are sitting on a lot of cash or have a high paying job, there is 0% chance of a bank giving you a mortgage at age 18.

Now, some things to consider. Historically speaking, stocks have been the best performing asset class, yielding an average annual return of close to 10%. (Read up on how compound interest works). The benefits are that you can start investing with any amount, at any age. No need for 10% deposits, no hassle with banks, tenants, maintaining and managing a property. You can even invest in the property market through the stock market if you wish (look at Real Estate Investment Trust). A disadvantage could be the emotional rollercoaster of seeing prices rise and fall, although if you are prepared this shouldn't be an issue as time in the market beats timing the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

While that may be true for property, it's a common misconception that the stock market is related to the national economy.
    On reflection, yes, you're quite right. A great many of the shares that are readily available to Irish investors are exposed to international rather than local markets.
    This tells you little, though, about which asset class will outperform the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Peregrinus wrote: »
    On reflection, yes, you're quite right. A great many of the shares that are readily available to Irish investors are exposed to international rather than local markets.
    This tells you little, though, about which asset class will outperform the other.

You could argue that if the OP is an Irish resident and will be working here then investing in Irish property is doubling down on the performance of the Irish economy. If the economy took a serious downturn he could lose his job as well as take a large hit on the property portfolio. I think it's important to diversify in terms of asset classes as well as geographically. There's no real right or wrong answer but OP seeing as you've already done the research on property I'd recommend reading at least a couple of beginner investment books so you have the full picture before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

DAFT rental/sales reports will give you headline figures.

Is there any report / analysis that goes into more depth than the headline numbers? Taxes, service fees, maintenance costs etc should all be part of any worthwhile study to compare real estate with other investment vehicles.

Below is an example of what I am looking for - it is from a NY times article comparing the benefits / drawbacks of buying vs renting. It discusses many of the metrics that should be part of a detailed analysis of property investment.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html

Again, I know this article does compare property vs other investments, but it does have the level of detail that would help answer the question - how does investing in property compare to the alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

It’s all about timing. I personally only have stocks and shares directly through my pension however for example if you had invested in the s&p500 at rock bottom a few years ago vs investing in property a few years ago. Shares tripled while houses doubled. It’s all on swings and roundabouts so it’s very hard to predict. With shares, it’s much more liquid and less work intensive also. The one thing about houses though is that it gives you the ability to rent out cash(mortgage) to invest which shares would not give you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You could argue that if the OP is an Irish resident and will be working here then investing in Irish property is doubling down on the performance of the Irish economy. If the economy took a serious downturn he could lose his job as well as take a large hit on the property portfolio. I think it's important to diversify in terms of asset classes as well as geographically. There's no real right or wrong answer but OP seeing as you've already done the research on property I'd recommend reading at least a couple of beginner investment books so you have the full picture before making any decisions.
    Agree.
    I have rental properties in Ireland and Germany, my own house in Germany and my shares are deliberately weighted away from these 2 countries.

I have no real clue about which company is the next big thing, so I invest passively in a MSCI ACWI ETF, a bundle of shares in app 2,400 companies spread across 23 industrialised nations and 23 emerging markets but 90% weighted towards the industrialised countries, which in turn are mostly weighted towards companies based in the United States but most/all large US companies derive profits globally so you are not overly exposed to the US economy itself.

It works for me like this as World ETFs barely factor the Irish economy in at all and even Germany is only 3% or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

I wonder have you considered teaming up with any friends or family to buy property? I am testing the water with my immediate family and one or two of my friends. I currently have a house which I am "house hacking" (I don't really like that term, rent-a-room scheme is more accurate). I want to invest in another property and I am currently saving and exploring options.

I looked into releasing equity from my current house but AIB said NOPE. (They would do it for refurbishing the current house but not for investing in a new property). Someone on here very recently suggested I look at Pepper Finance so I will be exploring that option very soon. In the mean time I will be saving for a 20% deposit and finding ways to increase my income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

I wonder have you considered teaming up with any friends or family to buy property? I am testing the water with my immediate family and one or two of my friends. I currently have a house which I am "house hacking" (I don't really like that term, rent-a-room scheme is more accurate). I want to invest in another property and I am currently saving and exploring options.

I looked into releasing equity from my current house but AIB said NOPE. (They would do it for refurbishing the current house but not for investing in a new property). Someone on here very recently suggested I look at Pepper Finance so I will be exploring that option very soon. In the mean time I will be saving for a 20% deposit and finding ways to increase my income.
    I would not buy property with family and friends.  Nothing tests a relationship like money.  Even if everyone is in agreement when the investment is made, circumstances change.  One party might want to sell, or be impacted by the investment in getting another mortgage, or other life events may mean not everyone is aligned.  Will excess income be distributed or used to pay down a mortgage quicker?  Who decides when to sell?  If further investment is required, what if one party cant afford the additional investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Asset diversification is less important than matching assets and liabilities.

e.g. don't have income and expenses in different currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Suggestions on ways to get involved in property, all come with their own health warnings though:

Buy an investment property with close friends/family - ensure it is set up on a legally sound basis though
    Do a training course with e.g. Irish Property Owners Association or similar to get more acquainted with system and met great experienced people.
    Get a job as a trainee in a Letting company or Real Estate Company
    Purchase a cheap property in a large town or small city e.g. Waterford (bigger markets), do it up yourself or as much as possible over toime
    Buy shares in property companies on ISEQ (great Annual Reports and see how property is managed well)
    Train to become a builder/carpenter etc. and after time renovate a property

The Irish market is not as sophisticated as US or UK markets but has niches and opportunities. Many of the above comments I concur with - long game, lots of hassle.

Advertisement