Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Recommend me some new music?" Thread

• 09-01-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

We've been getting lots of these threads, so why not a big sticky for recommending music? Post what you're into or what kind of stuff you're looking for and people can recommend things you might like!

Note this isn't just for posting songs you think other people should listen to, this is for asking for and responding to requests for suggestions!

- El Pr0n

Can anyone recommend a few songs or albums for me? Or if there's a website where I can see any new songs? Want to update my ipod.

I've a playlist here with the kinda stuff I like:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FL6CrQoLgc1XmF8SpPjUzCVw&feature=mh_lolz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Why not look up the people who make your favourite music and find out who they listen to themselves? Always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Also Amazon and iTunes Store (among other places) would have a "People who bought this also bought..." thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I propose a new stickied recommendation thread since so many people are starting threads like these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Check out Music Map you put in an artist name and it gives you suggestions.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I propose a new stickied recommendation thread since so many people are starting threads like these.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Ooh, my first sticky, can't wait :pac:

• Advertisement

Thread stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Check out Music Map you put in an artist name and it gives you suggestions.
    There is also Music Plasma which does more or less the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Gimmeh some musics that sound like these two things. Plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Hey folks.

this song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZP9IxR7njI

I love it ! Love that gypsy feel and the remix behind it, have any of you heard anything similar in pace? Its fantastic, would love some more!

a thread for this is a bad idea. Not enough people look thru threads, some people read thread titles and will recognise the song mentioned and post in it, rather than troll thru 100 pages of what about this song and what about that song.

Please just leave my thread where it is because I promise you, it wont get answered here.. and thats the point of this forum. I actually might have found something if you left it where it was, is this forum about helping its users or making everything nice and tidy?

• Advertisement

for example, not ONE on topic response so far. These people will never get suggestions posted back unless its by the mod who actually has to crawl through this thread which could end up at 50 pages.

Sinfonia wrote: »

Maybe it's just me, but I'd recommend you check out "Sigur Ros" and "Godspeed You! Black Emperor", I get that sort of vibe from those two songs.

-Vega- wrote: »
    a thread for this is a bad idea. Not enough people look thru threads, some people read thread titles and will recognise the song mentioned and post in it, rather than troll thru 100 pages of what about this song and what about that song.

Please just leave my thread where it is because I promise you, it wont get answered here.. and thats the point of this forum. I actually might have found something if you left it where it was, is this forum about helping its users or making everything nice and tidy?

A thread for this is a great idea. People that want to talk about finding new music can come here and see what others want, and ask for requests themselves. If people aren't going to bother posting, that's a problem with the people, and not with the forum, right?

In the last month or so we've had loads of threads asking for recommendations, they always get maybe one or two responses and then die out. Having that many almost-empty threads coming through here to die makes for a messy forum that's hard to manage. Why not just have it all in one/

This forum, as far as I'm concerned, is about making a nice and tidy collection of threads that are easy for users to navigate through. Having stickies on popular topics means all similar discussions are in the same place, so people looking for those discussions can find it all at once. Which makes perfect sense to me.

I can't listen to anything right now, but when I get home this evening I'll have a listen to some stuff and see if I can make any recommendations. But Vega, you're looking for music similar to Hans Zimmer, one of the most popular film composers ever. Why don't you check out his other work and see if you like any of that too? He's done a lot.
    for example, not ONE on topic response so far. These people will never get suggestions posted back unless its by the mod who actually has to crawl through this thread which could end up at 50 pages.

Weren't you just proven wrong by hidinginthebush?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sinfonia wrote: »

Jimmy Tamborello who forms part of the Postal Service also has a project called Dntel. I've only one album but love it... [it was just reissued in 2011 for its 10th anniversary on both CD & vinyl, I got my copy on CD sometime around its reissue but intend to grab the vinyl soon too]

http://www.discogs.com/Dntel-Life-Is-Full-Of-Possibilities/master/28396

Dntel - Why I'm So Unhappy

Dntel - Umbrella

You might also try Bibio, could be a bit random but give him a shot... this taken from his 2009 album 'Ambivalence Avenue'.

Sticking to my guns.. wont find what im looking for here now. Thread views and page browse views are very fifferent. But it's ok, I don't want to make your job harder by adding a single thread to the music section. Thanks for your 'help' .

Sticking to my guns.. wont find what im looking for here now. Thread views and page browse views are very fifferent. But it's ok, I don't want to make your job harder by adding a single thread to the music section. Thanks for your 'help' .

You're very welcome.

Sticking to my guns.. wont find what im looking for here now.
    You're looking for Gypsy music right? So, rather than complaining, why not be a bit proactive and do as I've just done - go here and search for "gypsy music". That'll give you links to a bunch of articles to read through and give you artist names like Django Reinhardt, Joscho Stephan and Damian Draghici. Plug any of them into a YouTube search and you'll get a load of videos to browse.

Maybe better suited for the electronic music forum, but anything like like this (the parts between 1:06 - 2:00 and 2:25 - the end are what I'm lokoing for [ie the parts that don't have the annoying happy-hardcore high pitched lyrics]):

I heard it in a pub a while ago and was completely captivated by it. It's just so awesome! I ask as I haven't a clue what genre this even is (usually a metal head), but my god it's awesome!

anything like like this
    That's Dubstep (or at least some variant of it). From a metal perspective it's gained a lot of exposure through Korn's recent album, The Path of Totality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Saw him live two weeks ago. Very impressed.

• Advertisement

Maybe better suited for the electronic music forum, but anything like like this (the parts between 1:06 - 2:00 and 2:25 - the end are what I'm lokoing for [ie the parts that don't have the annoying happy-hardcore high pitched lyrics]):

I heard it in a pub a while ago and was completely captivated by it. It's just so awesome! I ask as I haven't a clue what genre this even is (usually a metal head), but my god it's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULS27Wak6-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRt-NEuV28

see what u think of these, if u want more..I got a full arsenal baby!

I wasn't completely sold on the second one, but the 1st and 3rd songs were completely awesome!

I'm really loving this "dubstep", as the kids call it :D

If you like your wobbly dubstep, here's a tune I heard on a mix the other day that immediately jumped out at me. Not usually my thing but this track is really good I reckon. Instra:mental - No Future (Skream remix).

And definitely check out Burial! Etched Headplate, Untrue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZG1ANKeGs

I like this remix, Burial Mt Eden Dubstep. Good shtuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Came across an Artist called Sol a while ago with his great song 'Stage Dive' - finally got around to listening to his album last week (Yours Truly) and love it some tracks below:

Nice, chilled out, happy rap music without the usual 'look at all my money' bullshít! This music has soul imo

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Looking for some good movie soundtracks.

Preferably ones with good instrumental/ atmospheric music.

I have 28 Days later and listening to Inception now and liking what I'm hearing.

This is the type of thing I'm looking for:

Have lots of writing/studying coming up with college and I like this sort of stuff for concentrating :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Looking for some good movie soundtracks.

Preferably ones with good instrumental/ atmospheric music.

I have 28 Days later and listening to Inception now and liking what I'm hearing.

This is the type of thing I'm looking for:

Have lots of writing/studying coming up with college and I like this sort of stuff for concentrating :).

I can't listen to the track you posted right now, but if you like the 28 days later soundtrack, definitely check out "Godspeed you! Black emperor". The f#a# infinity album in particular is brilliant. One of the tracks is the epic theme from 28 days (best in the movie, IMO), but it was omitted from the official soundtrack at their request:

If you're into that, their whole discography is brilliant!

Other honourable mentions in the post-rock genre that I'm familiar with would be "explosions in the sky", check out their "the earth is not a cold dead place" album. Pretty atmospheric alright!

You should also check out God is an astronaut and and so I watch you from afar. I don't really know them but they're pretty highly regarded in that part of the musical world.

Post rock is great studying music, used to love sticking it on in the library doing my thesis. Ah takes me back!

Advertisement