Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term retainer and/or essix retainer

• 10-12-2019 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭

I’m just finishing up with my orthodontic treatment plan, and the orthodontist has given me a couple of options.

I have the option of wearing long term retainers on my upper and lower teeth, or using just an essix retainer at night. She favours the essix retainer on its own, but the decision is mine completely. My original orthodontist left the dental practice and he was the one who recommended the long term retainers.

Would appreciate any pros and cons etc., from what I can see the main drawback would be good getting caught in the permanent brace. I have no idea about the efficacy of the long term retainers.

Thanks,
    Dougal

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Both work. Both need to be maintained& replaced periodically. Both have oral hygiene implications.
    The main factor really is patient compliance& character.
    If you know that you're the sort of person who will religiously & diligently wear a removable retainer every single night, fine. But if you've any inkling that you might forget/not bother to wear it, or lose/mislay it on a regular basis, then a fixed retainer may be more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thanks!

Is it important to have a good rear bite(molars)? My dentist isn’t happy that my bite is mostly on my front teeth, orthodontist thinks it’s ok.

Advertisement