Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is finasteride/worth the risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Well I have no girlfriend and have no intention of acquiring one any time soon so it's a moot point.

And as I said, I use finasteride & minoxidil and have no side effects in that department. Blasting away like mad! :)

You will find that for many people the side effects don't start until they stop the drug.

‘We Wouldn’t Recommend that Any Man Take’ Finasteride, Urologist at University Hospital Zurich Tells Swiss TV News Magazine

http://www.pfsfoundation.org/news/wouldnt-recommend-man-take-finasteride-urologist-university-hospital-zurich-tells-swiss-tv-news-magazine/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ceebeegeebee

I noticed my hair thinning in my late twenties. I'm in my early thirties now.

The first thing I did, around 4 years ago, was buy a 3 month supply of regaine. To be honest, my hair has thinned more and more over the years. Did regaine slow the process down and delay the process? I don't know and that's the thing. You can't compare results with yourself. Part of me says it done feck all and the the rest of me says keep on applying it out of fear.

A couple of years ago I took the next step to meet hair transplant surgeon so I travelled to Dublin to meet with a reputable surgeon. What I didn't know was Proscar or Finastricide was the cornerstone of the transplant treatment and you have to take it for life. Medication for LIFE. He mentioned the risks and the horror stories online but in his view it was safe. If you get side effects then stop. He was clear that there was no point in doing a transplant without the drug.

So I took out a prescription to try it out for 3 months. For me, I felt uneasy about it but I was willing to give it a try. Eventually taking the medication became part of the routine, no big deal. However I noticed my orgasms were less intense, almost numb. I chose not to ignore this after noticing it a few times so I stopped.

I thought about trying it again out of desperation and so I can get the FUE treatment but there's no smoke without fire. Some guys are fine taking it but then you read about the issues starting when people stop taking it.

It's serious, serious stuff and that cannot be ignored. There's no smoke without fire so I'd recommend not doing it for long term peace of mind. Especially at such a young age. It seems like a wonder drug but in my view, it's too good to me true. Dr Rynne spoke out against it and for a man who has absolutely nothing to gain by criticising the drug... Well that would be enough advise for some people.

I tried a herbal alternative, saw palmetto along with regaine foam, derma roller, nizerol shampoo and biotin pills which you can get in health shops. This doesn't have near the effect Fin could have but I know I'm not at much risk with these.

In the end it's a gamble and it's **** having your confidence diminished because of thinning hair but try everything else first, do your research (I've spent 3 years reading about this topic. Good and bad. ) and then make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I was toying with the idea of getting a hair transplant, which would inevitably have meant taking those kinds of drugs as well, and I eventually decided against it. 100% respect to the people who do it though, especially the lads who completely go for it without taking shortcuts. As some of the previous posters have said, telling someone to ''just shave it all off'' can turn into a boring cliche which doesn't really offer anything of value. I think a lot of younger guys probably just need a bit of time to get comfortable with it, and they eventually make peace with the idea of having a very short haircut. If there was a genuine way of being able to keep your hair without compromising your health it would be a complete game changer of course, no question about it. I imagine there are people out there working on this non stop, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we'll see something major happening in the next decade.

A lot of people simply decide to work on other things. It will not replace your hair but it certainly helps. Put it this way: if you're someone with a bit of money to spend, there are ways of spending that money which can almost guarantee you'll look better in some way. Most people (men in particular) don't have perfect teeth, so spending money on orthodontic work will make your teeth look better, and it comes with the added bonus of potentially improving your health as well, as dental hygiene plays a part in your overall health (straighter teeth are easier to clean). Then there are other procedures you can spend your money on such as laser treatment. This one is a bit more subtle mind you, but there is some degree of evidence that it can make at least a small improvement. Then of course there is living a healthy lifestyle and eating well etc, which will improve your overall body. If you're someone who is happy enough with everything else apart from your hair then I can see how that might be particularly frustrating though.

One last thing: I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but has anyone else noticed that black men don't seem to care about this as much? Or at least it seems that way. It could just be that their hair is not as much of a defining feature as it tends to be on white men and other racial groups, so it doesn't make as much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Anyone got any experience with tricopigmentation? I've been reading about it since seeing the reference earlier in the thread. I wet shave my head regularly but would be interested in a shaved head look.

What I like about it is that unlike a tattoo it wears off after a year, so if I end up not liking it, I can just let it wear out.

I sent a query to a clinic about general costs; just wondering if anyone knew more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Anyone got any experience with tricopigmentation? I've been reading about it since seeing the reference earlier in the thread. I wet shave my head regularly but would be interested in a shaved head look.

What I like about it is that unlike a tattoo it wears off after a year, so if I end up not liking it, I can just let it wear out.

I sent a query to a clinic about general costs; just wondering if anyone knew more.

Vinci in Dublin charge €2400, they're probably the most reputable in the country at the moment but there are other clinics too that I haven't heard much feedback on.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

I've had tricopigmentation done. Delighted with the results. The lad above spoke about Vinci. They do permanent smp not tricopigmentation. I had mine done a year ago and haven't seen any fading yet so don't need a top up. The technician told me it could be 18 months to 2 years before I need one. It has blended seemlessly with the remaining hair I have. Feel free to message me if you want any more info

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I’ve also had tricopigmentation done. I’m not totally bald but I have like a receding hairline. In the end I hated the shaved head look so I grew my hair out in the hope of the pigment fading out as promised by the clinician. Over 2 and a half years later, it still hasn’t totally disappeared. It’s still noticeable albeit less prominent. I don’t expect it to ever fade conpletely so I would recommend caution in case you were to ever change your mind about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve a big hairy head.

weekaizer wrote: »
    I’ve also had tricopigmentation done. I’m not totally bald but I have like a receding hairline. In the end I hated the shaved head look so I grew my hair out in the hope of the pigment fading out as promised by the clinician. Over 2 and a half years later, it still hasn’t totally disappeared. It’s still noticeable albeit less prominent. I don’t expect it to ever fade conpletely so I would recommend caution in case you were to ever change your mind about it.

Where did you have it done, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

endacl wrote: »
    I’ve a big hairy head.

In the freezer? All right, Jeffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

I got it done in County donegal. If you google the clinic you will find details. Think I paid €1100-1200

weekaizer wrote: »
    I got it done in County donegal. If you google the clinic you will find details. Think I paid €1100-1200

Some of the pricing is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Im a litigation solicitor about to publish a paper on the risks which have been underestimated. I intend taking cases on against the manufacturer. I dont recommend using it.

Im a litigation solicitor about to publish a paper on the risks which have been underestimated. I intend taking cases on against the manufacturer. I dont recommend using it.

Nobody recommends using it apart from people with a vested interest in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does your professional training as a solicitor prepare you well for giving medical advice?

Hi Mr. Incognito;

As a solicitor what do you make of this statement by Dr Maurice Collins who claims the side effects of finasteride go away "in 100% cases" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I'm 21 and at the point where I'm starting to develop a bald spot on top, on top of my long receding hairline.

It's not worth it, I never have done it but I've been really tempted but I saw someone comment on a thread "if there's the slightest chance of my thing never working again I would not risk it", never mind just while using the drug because you can always come off it but when there's a chance of never regaining it's natural 'abilities' I wouldn't chance it for all the hair on my head.

The makers of the drug were found to have lied about the studies into its safety.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-courts-secrecy-propecia/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

The risk is still tiny. There’s millions of people on it and a handful of people who’ve experienced these severe side effects. Everything in life has risk.

• Advertisement

pearcider wrote: »
    The risk is still tiny. There’s millions of people on it and a handful of people who’ve experienced these severe side effects. Everything in life has risk.

Its not tiny one study showed that at least 1% of men who take it will suffer permanent sexual side effects.

And for a lot of people the side effects only start once they STOP the drug.

By taking Finasteride you are basically playing russian roulette with your health.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/mens-health/hair-loss-drug-propecia-carries-risk-losing-something-else-n731841

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

and 99% don't suffer any ill effects.

I've been using it on and off for over 2 years. It does work. I haven't noticed any side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi lads,

I'm 20 and suffering from a general thinning of hair loss on top. I've improved my diet, cut out masturbation, changed shampoo and increased the amount I exercise - all to no real effect.

I'm left with one choice, albeit a risky one - Propecia/finasteride.

In your view, is it worth the risk, given the possible side effects?

I should probably mention that I have had erectile dysfunction issues in the past.

Thanks for any views given.

that's rumoured to help?

and 99% don't suffer any ill effects.

I've been using it on and off for over 2 years. It does work. I haven't noticed any side effects.

The temporary side effects are way higher than 1%.

Dr. Andrew Rynne believes they could be up to 20% who experience side effects while on the drug.

Also if the side effects of the drug were so low the manufacturer would have no reason to manipulate/hide the data on its side effects.

https://mobile.medicalindependent.ie/page.aspx?contentid=58263

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-courts-secrecy-unseal/reuters-asks-judge-to-release-secret-propecia-documents-idUSKCN1VX2IZ

The truth is slowly coming out about Propecia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'm actually thinking of using this but for reducing my sex drive.

Anyway lads, does it actually have effects on your tiredness, sex drive etc...? Also thinking of using it to prevent beard growth in my 20s...

Anyway lads, does it actually have effects on your tiredness, sex drive etc...?

You can read the possible side effects here.

https://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

Also thinking of using it to prevent beard growth in my 20s...

Why would you want to do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anyway lads, does it actually have effects on your tiredness, sex drive etc...? Also thinking of using it to prevent beard growth in my 20s...

Have you ever had a non-nonsense thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Patient11 wrote: »
    Its not tiny one study showed that at least 1% of men who take it will suffer permanent sexual side effects.

And for a lot of people the side effects only start once they STOP the drug.

By taking Finasteride you are basically playing russian roulette with your health.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/mens-health/hair-loss-drug-propecia-carries-risk-losing-something-else-n731841

Most studies are a load of crap, cause humans in general are paranoid idiots

You could give 100 men placebo's ( thinking they are taking Finasteride ) and alot of them men will have side effects

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Patient11 wrote: »
    You can read the possible side effects here.

https://medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/March2016/PostFinasterideSyndrome.htm

Why would you want to do that ?

I think my facial hair looks unsightly and although I shave it, there's still a very noticeable shadow.

Anway it probably won't work as I already have it. It only stops the development of facial hair growth if you didn't have any facial hair to begin with and stops further hair loss but doesn't restore it.

Advertisement