Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

I'm currently with VM 240BB with home phone. my contract is up next month so i gave my 30 day notice through email yesterday.
    I am paying 59p.m. I rang them today to see could they come up with a deal, they offered 44pm for six months and then changed it to nine months. I refused saying eir was cheaper still. I'd like to stay with VM. What's the best i can hope for? anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larcoon wrote: »
    I'm currently with VM 240BB with home phone. my contract is up next month so i gave my 30 day notice through email yesterday.
    I am paying 59p.m. I rang them today to see could they come up with a deal, they offered 44pm for six months and then changed it to nine months. I refused saying eir was cheaper still. I'd like to stay with VM. What's the best i can hope for? anyone know
    Don't assume that offer will last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just switched there myself to Eir because of VMs shitty retention offer... I got offered half for 6 months and was no budging as I availed off the 9 months off per anum over the past 4 years with them due to the yearly price hike

would have probably stayed with them if they moved to 9 even though it worked out more expensive than eir - win win for me

Ignore the headline speed they have... 100mb down is plenty for anyone and the wifi is usually the bottleneck anyway. Happy with service so far the wireless speeds match what I was getting under VM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Same package as u, i got 9 months half price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Same package as u, i got 9 months half price.

+1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Just did the yearly dance.
    Just finished the 9 months 1/2 price and 3 months at 89e (TV,Phone and BB) 680e for the year.
    was not in the mood for it and all but got an ok deal.
    6 months at 49e price and 6 months at 79e which makes 770e .
    so up 100 for the year :(

my problem is being so close to christmas getting a new service in is a pain.Plan on moving in the next 6 months so I'll be moving somewhere that virgin doesnt have service if you know what i mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Just did the yearly dance.
    Just finished the 9 months 1/2 price and 3 months at 89e (TV,Phone and BB) 680e for the year.
    was not in the mood for it and all but got an ok deal.
    6 months at 49e price and 6 months at 79e which makes 770e .
    so up 100 for the year :(

my problem is being so close to christmas getting a new service in is a pain.Plan on moving in the next 6 months so I'll be moving somewhere that virgin doesnt have service if you know what i mean ;)
    does that let you off the hook for penalty as im intrested in moving myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

scamalert wrote: »
    does that let you off the hook for penalty as im intrested in moving myself ?

No it does not.

dubrov wrote: »
    No it does not.

Yes it does if they can't provide service in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

Folks, I've been offered 15 off for 6 months, bb 240mb only.
    Is there a catch to moving to sky for bb and tv cheapest option?
    No dish currently fitted.
    Also, once sky contract is up, could I keep and use the box for freeview?
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

Yes it does if they can't provide service in your area.

I'd check that again.

Plenty of stories on boards about the cancellation fee being applied when a customer moves to an area with no service.

Here is one.

and another

patch wrote: »
    Folks, I've been offered 15 off for 6 months, bb 240mb only.
    Is there a catch to moving to sky for bb and tv cheapest option?
    No dish currently fitted.
    Also, once sky contract is up, could I keep and use the box for freeview?
    Cheers.

The catch is that the broadband is provided in a different way so the speeds may be completely different. I'd ask Sky to give an indication of the speeds that are possible at your address.

With Sky, you own the equipment so after the 12 month contract is complete, you own the dish and box. Downside is that after 12 months they will not repair the box if there is an issue although a threat to cancel usually solves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as VM email states everyone can leave if they wish so until jan1, thou not sure how that works since it has to be months notice and already were few days past that.

Thou wonder if one is on deal say come end of month put in cancellation pay half price for jan and sort out new BB would that work theoretically, as i wont be switching till next year but might be handy for others once holidays are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭randomstuff

scamalert wrote: »
    as VM email states everyone can leave if they wish so until jan1, thou not sure how that works since it has to be months notice and already were few days past that.

Thou wonder if one is on deal say come end of month put in cancellation pay half price for jan and sort out new BB would that work theoretically, as i wont be switching till next year but might be handy for others once holidays are over.

Hi there, would you be able to copy paste the email? Did everyone get it? I have searched my email inbox but don't seem to have anything regarding a price change from VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Did everyone get it? I have searched my email inbox but don't seem to have anything regarding a price change from VM.

I didn't get any email about this either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some price plans were not impacted by the increase which may explain why you have not received any email

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

I didn't get one. On 240mb bb and phone paying €52.50 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BB & Phone 59 a month you can get 9 months 1/2 price. You can't get 9 months 1/2 price on naked BB I was told.

Digiweb is 24.95 per month for 12 months with a 12 month contract. Quote them that and say you don't really care about speed. Be polite and not rude and stress how long you have been a customer. Don't be a childish saying your friends got it. Just say the other provider deal is much better so you will go with them if they can't do better. No emotion.

I had to hear the first one and then he said he went to supervisor BS and then that was still not great so he had to go back again. He probably went for a piss each time. Don't demand it straight away. Give them a chance to go through the script.

-3 months 1/2 price.
    - nah
    - 6 months 1/2 price.
    -nah
    -9 months 1/2 price.
    - ok

They can't offer it to you to start with. Just follow the process and hum and haw a bit with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup. Hummed and haw’d. Rang for my mother in-law . Told flat out no deals but offered €15 off etc. Want to cancel, got 6 months half, more humming and got ok ok 9 month half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Cancelled last month, due to be cut off in next few days but no calls yet.
    Really only today and tomorrow to receive them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Ring them to make sure the cancellation is going through! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This thread is 5yrs long.

In that time they've not managed to fix any of the problems people complained about.

So we are still at this haggling every year.

What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Offered 15 off for 6 months, or 52 indefinitely for broadband. Said no thanks as digiweb was 25. No further offer, so then completed the cancellation process, given the day that's in it, they prob couldn't care less if I left or not

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not directly related to this thread- but Sky broadband apparently signed a contract with Siro in the last few days- to supply up to 1Gb connections residentially- bypassing Eircom in the process. Its looking like a very interesting proposition- esp for someone currently with Virgin who is seriously fed up with their appalling tv box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A basic box with the 10 basic stations in HD and recording would be far better than all the junk they cram into the horror box. It's just not able to handle it.

Our old 360 runs rings around the horror box when running Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sky Fibre Ultra 1GB Broadband €40 a month for 12 months.
    Good bargaining tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

bromley52 wrote: »
    I spoke to an Irish guy after ringing 1908. Within 5min I got the 9 months at 1/2 price. Iv been on some sort of deal for the past 5-6 years.

You are on a deal for 9 Months but you are under contract for 12 months when you accept the offer, So the last 3 months are full price, So you have not been on a deal for the last 5-6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

Rang them today my contract finishes on 21 jan got no email about price rise, was told on the phone that price is going up by 4 euro after jan 21.

Given 10 euro off for 6 months, refused.
    Given 15 euro off for 9 months, refused.

Kept telling me that i had 6 months half price before and 12 months half price year before that so no more half price.
    I left it unchanged and will my luck again.
    I am on TV, Broadband and Phone package

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Out of contract; do I have any wriggle room or can I expect to be paying 59 at the end of month?

What I will say in their favour is I've recently had to temporarily relocate; ordered a new modem for their 30 Day Naked Broadband Deal (same price as my current one); got informed by SMS same day (yesterday) it was being processed, today I got my 2 hour window for delivery and, although it didn't arrive as driver couldn't wait 5 minutes for me it was delivered this evening @ 5pm as he said in a text he would.

Currently I've the old one at home; their new one is quite sleek and very easy to set up/install; well impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Gave notice to cancel as got fed up paying a fortune. The loyalty offers they offered me were unclear as I could barely hear the agent... Can I expect a call begging me for my custom before the end of my cancellation period?

Advertisement