Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Broadband 29.99, 12 month contract

• 24-04-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭

Eir seems to have cracking deal. If you go through one big switch, its free activation and 50 back. I know Eir is annoying to deal with but can't argue with price

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

They had this deal ending months ago. I rang sales before I decided to go ahead to find out what router it is they would be providing. She couldn't tell me and advised I contact customer service, 1901. Simple enough info I would have thought for a straight forward transfer. That was enough for me. Good deal or not I just couldn't do it to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They had this deal ending months ago. I rang sales before I decided to go ahead to find out what router it is they would be providing. She couldn't tell me and advised I contact customer service, 1901. Simple enough info I would have thought for a straight forward transfer. That was enough for me. Good deal or not I just couldn't do it to myself

Do they still have the same crap in their T&Cs for when you want to switch from them? Didn't they require you to cancel with them even if switching to same product with a different supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Speaking as a past customer of Eir I think I would rather go cold turkey and go without internet than having to deal with their customer services/billing department again. Avoid if you value your sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Avoid Eir like the plague, they are the worst company in Ireland, doesn't matter what the offer is they are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

They are a bit sneaky about installation fee through the OBS offer.
    On Eir website without OBS, it says it €150, on OBS offer nothing in t&c's.
    Rang Eir to ask and was told it would be €100 connection fee for Fibre.
    She then said !sure it's only €50 as you are getting the €50 back off them anyway".

• Advertisement

I thought it was 49 on their website and free on obs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭893bet

They would need to be paying me the 30 quid to consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uhassan

I signed up for same offer a month ago and then cancelled within the 14 days cool-off period after 6 calls with technical support and no connection. Each person I talked to had a different story about the problem.

I was told that there would be not charge since I didn't get any service. But still was charged a few euros.

Avoid Eir if possible not a good experience to deal with.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I thought it was 49 on their website and free on obs?

That's the "activation" fee which is totally different to the "installation" fee.
    Again misleading.

You can get up to 4 Eir mobile sims with the broadband for €10 a month (plus one off €9.99 activation fee), all data, calls & texts and TV for another €10 a month.
    All 12 month contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

I don't think I've ever met an Eir broadband customer who didn't have an issue with them, myself included. The money saved is just not worth the stress and hassle that you have to go through on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Dont do it. They area disaster in the billing dept. Every month the bill goes up a little bit more for no reason.

Their support is bad before covid, no one answers but bots, no tickets or calls back, no way to track issues.

They will only call you the day AFTER you switch to another provider to try and get you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

I had Eir for 12 months last year, their FTTH package. I didn't have any issues so didn't have to call support but I must say the internet was absolutely solid. Not once any slow down. With Vodafone now same package and it's pretty awful especially in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I feel compelled to warn anyone off Eir.

It nearly caused my parents to divorce.

I’ve never experienced anything like their customer “service”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I have been with eir ... 3yrs now, I can echo a lot of what has been said above.... BUT... for the money eir provide a decent service, it’s when you have a problem/issue then it’s a roll of dice to see if you can get someone who knows how to fix/resolve the issue.

In my experience anyway it is possible to find the people within the Organisation but be very careful to keep a record of every call and person you deal with, for your own reference.

In summary, it is a good deal, but be prepared to get stressed if you have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,377 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm with Eir and live within 6 km of the Dublin City centre. Yesterday, my download speed was 0.18MB while I tried to join my team on a conference call, despite allegedly being on a 10MB plan. Fibre has allegedly been coming in the next 6 months since 2013. They are hopeless to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭ratracer

Eireann81 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever met an Eir broadband customer who didn't have an issue with them, myself included. The money saved is just not worth the stress and hassle that you have to go through on a regular basis.

As a counter - I’ve had Eir FTTH for the last 2 and a half years. I’ve never had any major issues. Technical chat has been able to diagnose and fix the two or three issues I had, including sorting out a failed modem. Granted the online chat can sometimes take an hour, but it got any issue I had sorted. Now I’m still on the €59/mth contract, so need to look at getting that changed when current contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭tech

Been with Eir for 3 years on DSL package, moving to FTTH next week 300mb , never had an issue so far 🀞🀞
    ratracer wrote: »
    As a counter - I’ve had Eir

FTTH for the last 2 and a half years. I’ve never had any major issues. Technical chat has been able to diagnose and fix the two or three issues I had, including sorting out a failed modem. Granted the online chat can sometimes take an hour, but it got any issue I had sorted. Now I’m still on the €59/mth contract, so need to look at getting that changed when current contract runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Not even if they were giving it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

i changed from eir to vodafone last friday and was active on tuesday.straight forward changeover and have my own nighthawk modem so didnt have any downtime at all during changover.big difference from 69 euro to 20 euro for unlimited broadband.also my speeds are better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I signed up to their one big switch offer.
    You get free eir sports and prime video for 29.99.
    Just had my first bill and I'm actually in credit because they seem to have applied the 50 euro cashback on my first bill!
    Switched from three broadband and though the connection is a lot more stable the speed maxes out at 12mb download. Was told that I have one of the old copper lines and so that is the max speed the infrastructure supports. Not really sure about that explanation but all in all pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

The telecommunications version of Sports Direct.

Good cheap service, but you're on your own if you've a problem.

Been with eir for years for mobile and phone and I had no problems my contract is out in July I’m gonna ring Monday and see if I can renew at this price

It's a bargain if you don't have any problems with the service.
    If you do then you are in the lap of the gods.
    Person I talked to admitted their "customer service" wasn't great but said
    most of the other providers are the same, I'd exclude Vodafone on that argument.
    You can always use it a bargaining tool against the others, can't beat a good bit of competition.

Also note the Mobile Sims don't have to be used by the user of the Broadband so could pass onto family members.
    €10 a month for all data, calls and texts is pretty good (plus one off €10 start up fee).

It's those startup/activation/install fees that get to me.
    I might try to use it as leverage with my current supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Provided they don't make a balls of setting up your account and you don't make any changes to your packages then eir are ok but f**k me they are some incompetent bunch of you ask them to change anything billing related. The service itself for me has been fine but by far the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I' switched to Vodafone simply fibre offer they have for 20 euro for first 6 months and its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭Soarer

Do they still use the rubbish router they were using a couple of years back?
    Could only handle up to 16 wireless devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Virgin mobile CS is currently closed, so you have to chat with them by WhatsApp & it's without doubt the worst CS I've had the misfortune to experience.

Had an issue with Eir setting up FTTH but got the direct line of someone in escalations and was impressed by the speed and manner in which they put things right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Word of advice for solving the hassle of dealing with Eir (or any other telco)- if they dont answer their phone and you've given it three or four, maybe five attempts then dont waste any more of your time trying and get on to Comreg to complain. Far better customer service there, they take your complaint/issue and dispatch it to an escalation manager in the company who then has 10 days to respond (not quick I know but you actually get a response).

Id similar problems getting through to Vodafone last year. Had no internet and think I rang them somewhere in the order of about 20 times over 4 weeks with nobody answering the phone, left around 10 requests for call backs which never ever came. In the end rang Comreg and they helped sort the problem. Thats what I'll be doing from now on with telcos, theres no point pulling your hair out for weeks on end.

Advertisement