Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trick with the 9v battery....

• 22-06-2005 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Someone told me there was a way to get all the channels on sky by wiring the phone line up to a 9v battery, is this true and if so which wires do you connect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

No it is not true. And if it were true it would be illegal and illegal discussions aint allowed here. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

seeing as a phone line is normally 48v it is probably not true but 'hold the battery upside down' is what I heard !

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

I'm sorry, the tip was actually picked up from this group so thats why I was asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

It doesnt work In the long run you still end up being charged for what you watched and since you probably end up watching more stuff thinking youre not paying for it you end up being done rather than $ky (In fact Im wouldnt be at all suprised if $ky themselves came up with it)

And as has already being pointed out if it did work this thread would have been locked by now :rolleyes: Indeed Im suprised it hasnt been anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally posted by danyosan
    Someone told me there was a way to get all the channels on sky by wiring the phone line up to a 9v battery, is this true and if so which wires do you connect?

It doesn't work, As as soon as you reconnect the phone line you get billed, if you used this you will get a nasty shock next time you reconnect the phone line. as it only delays the payment of PPV box office events until you reconnect your phone line. Which i thought should be plugged in all the time anyway. This "trick" is the same as the ones being sold on ebay only thing is they make up some sort of a gadget with the battery inside it.

I'd say don't bother with it as you'l only get into trouble in the long run !

Regards netwhizkid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is a credit limit of ~€50 on pay per view so you can't make a killing.
    After that you can't see any more. Also as stated if you plug it in to a phone line later it rats you out. So you couldn't sell or give it away later with worrying about that. So not worth the hassle unless you are going to destroy the box and they are worth more than €50 and they would increase in value if C5/ITN/C4 go free to air.

So if you want to do something illegal which you would probably have to pay for anyway then there is a tiny risk of zapping your sky box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

indeed to what all said. it isnt free television, just delayed theft. also, purchases will be stored on your viewing card, not just the box

thread closed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I always find it amazing that anyone who has the basic rudiments of intelligence that enable them to find the power switch on a computer and use the clicky buttons on the internet would actually believe this to be a possibility.

I see the myth is no longer "free box office movies" but has moved to "all channels available". I suspect it won't be long before it becomes "turn your Sky box into a coffee machine for free".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement